Don’t you feel it’s important for us humans to understand the physical world we are living in? Chemistry is something which can help us learn more about our surroundings. The UK is among the world’s best countries to go for studying chemistry, organic chemistry and chemical sciences. The rich heritage and great teaching methodology attracts students from worldwide. Big Ben and the queen are not the only interesting part of the country but the UK has much more to offer to the students who are willing to do MSc in Chemistry. England and Scotland are considered best for chemistry jobs.
|Degree||MSc in Chemistry|
|Duration||2 years (Full Time)
4 years (Part Time)
|Eligibility||Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry|
|Average fees||GBP 17,000 (INR 17.15 Lakhs) per year|
|Average salary||GBP 22,000 (INR 22.51) Lakhs per year|
This Blog Includes:
- 5 Reasons to Study MSc Chemistry in the UK
- Top Universities to Study MSc in Chemistry in the UK
- Application Process
- Documents Checklist
- Cost of Studying MSc in the UK
- Cost of Living in the UK
- Scholarships for Studying MSc Chemistry in the UK
5 Reasons to Study MSc Chemistry in the UK
The UK is home to many leading universities in the world. Known for its quality teaching, academic excellence and brilliant resources. A Master’s degree in the UK is valued a lot more and is definitely worth it. Students can build a stable career and along with that they can earn more because of the weight a masters degree carries.
- Learn from Experts and Scientists: Studying MSc in the UK gives you the golden chance to learn from experts and access brilliant facilities and resources.
- Career Advancement: Students can build a stable and high paying career as studying MSc in Chemistry provides you with a world-recognised degree. According to the UK Commission of Employment and Skills 1 in 7 jobs are likely to require a master’s degree by 2022. Studying MSc in Chemistry will pave the way for you to build a long term career.
- Salary Expectations: Various studies have proved that having a masters degree can improve your long term salary potential. The higher the degree, the higher you get paid. A masters student may earn INR 550,470 more than a student holding a bachelor’s degree.
- Full time or Part time Mode Some universities in the UK let you choose your course duration depending upon your needs and requirements. Some universities may not allow you to choose as they have a specific duration for studying MSc in Chemistry.
- Research Infrastructure: According to the Research Excellence Framework 2014, the research of UK universities had at least 49 per cent of their submitted activity graded as internationally excellent. At least 30 percent of their submitted activity was graded as world-leading.
Must Read: Universities in UK with No Application Fees
Top Universities to Study MSc in Chemistry in the UK
For studying Masters, the UK is considered the second most popular study destination in the world for international students.Choosing an internationally acclaimed and renowned university to study Msc chemistry in the UK may be a difficult task but here you got it easy. The table below allows you to recognise the best universities based on their world rankings based on the research published by QS and Times Higher Education as of 2022.
|University||QS World University Rankings 2022||Times Higher Education 2022|
|University of Oxford||2||1|
|Imperial College London||7||12|
|London School of Economics and Political Science||49||27|
|University of Edinburgh||16||30|
|King’s College London||35||35|
|University of Manchester||27||50|
|University of Warwick||61||78|
|University of Glasgow||73||86|
Requirements may vary for different universities. For most of the universities, you have to take the English language test i.e IELTS and TOEFL iBT.
- BSc in Chemistry or any degree internationally equivalent in Chemistry with a minimum overall mark of a cumulative GPA of 3.5/4
- For IELTS: You have to obtain at least 6.5 overall bands with no sub-test below 6.0
- For TOEFL iBT: You should obtain at least 90 overall with no sub-test below 20
International students applying to UK universities must follow a well-researched guide before starting their application process:
Step-1: Shortlist Courses and Universities
The primary step in the application process is to shortlist courses and universities according to your academic profile and preference. Students can shortlist courses and universities through AI-Course Finder and generate a list of universities where they are most likely to get through and plan their application process in advance.
Step-2: Know Your Deadlines
The next step is to know the exact deadlines of universities and colleges in the UK you are planning to apply to. International students have to take the application process well in advance (one year to 6 months before the actual deadline). This ensures that students can fulfill all the college requirements such as SOP, letters of recommendation, English proficiency tests, funding/scholarship options, and accommodation.
Step-3: Take Entrance Tests
The third step in the application process for UK universities requires students to take tests like IELTS, TOEFL, PTE or GRE/GMAT/LNAT/BMAT/MAT (in some courses). In some universities, students can be given submit scores for SAT or ACT exams. A new addition to English proficiency tests is the Duolingo Test which allows students to appear for the exam from the comfort of their homes and is accepted across the world.
Score High with Leverage Live and Land Your Dream University!
Step-4: Compile & Upload Your Documents
The next step is to compile all the required documents and test scores for the application process. This means students should start writing their SOPs, getting letters of recommendation from teachers and supervisors and arranging their financial statements along with other documents like tests scorecards. With the COVID-19 pandemic, students must download their vaccine certificates and specify the administered vaccine for the application.
Step-5: Get Started with Your Application
Once you have all the documents in place, students can start the application process either directly or through UCAS. Students applying to UK universities that accept direct applications can start by applying through the official university website. They have to select the courses, pay the application fees and start the online application process.
Ensure that you have all the mentioned documents before applying for the admission for studying MSc chemistry in the UK. Below are the required documents:
- Copy of passport/visa
- All Academic Transcripts
- Certificate of English proficiency – IELTS/TOEFL/PTE Test
- Personal statement
- Reference letters
- CV (if applicable)
- Birth certificate
- LOR (Letter of recommendation)
- Evidence of Financial Resources and capability
Cost of Studying MSc in the UK
Studying MSc Chemistry in the UK can be both expensive and affordable depending upon the university you are taking admission in. Msc chemistry in the UK is highly regarded and is worth it.
Tuition Fees for Popular Universities
The average tuition fees for studying MSc Chemistry in the UK is GBP 24,016 (INR 24 lakhs). Here are some top universities for chemistry in UK and their annual fees:
|Top Universities||Courses||Annual Fees for Overseas Students|
|University of Manchester||MSc Chemistry||£26,000 (INR 26,02,280.20)|
|University of Oxford||MSc Organic Chemistry by Research
MSc in Theoretical and Computational ChemistryMSc by Research in Inorganic Chemistry
|£28,560 (INR 28,58,676.07)|
|UCL||MSc Chemical Research||£32,100 (INR 32,14,065.43)|
Must Read: University of Brighton Admissions Process
Cost of Living in the UK
The cost of living in the UK ranges from GBP 1,000 (1,10,000 – 1,40,000 INR) monthly. Though it highly depends upon the city you live in. Other expenses for studying in the UK also include accommodation. There are two types of accommodation.
- University Accommodation
- Private Accommodation
Scholarships for Studying MSc Chemistry in the UK
Studying abroad in countries like the UK can be expensive. But some universities offer scholarships to those willing to study MSc chemistry in the UK. Below are top 3 scholarships for studying MSc in the UK.
|Queen Elizabeth Commonwealth Scholarships 2022/2023||Fully Funded|
|University of Warwick Chemistry Home Taught Masters Scholarship, UK 2022-23||Partial Funding|
|Chemistry Tercentenary Masters Scholarships 2022-23||Partial Funding|
Also Read: Aspirants’ Guide to Study at Newcastle University
Want to pursue MSc in Chemistry from UK? Then call our Leverage Edu on 1800 572 000 and get a FREE profile evaluation to study anywhere in the world!