The University of Melbourne is a leading educational institution based in Australia which is known for its educational excellence. As per the QS World University Rankings 2021, the University of Melbourne is ranked 41st offering cutting-edge courses in the domain of Science and Technology, Humanities, Engineering, and Business Management amongst many others. It houses more than 52,000 international students which is a gigantic number. However, in order to get selected for this revered institution, it involves the candidate goes through a meticulous application process with a competitive acceptance rate. If you are aiming to be part of the University of Melbourne, here is a blog on the University of Melbourne acceptance rate.
|70% – 80%|
|Admissions Requirements||Approved final year of high school equivalent to the Victorian Certificate of Education or; Recognised high school qualification; Completion of any special course if any; Admission quotas apply and completion of entrance qualifications does not guarantee the right of entry.|
|March to December (March – June, July – December)|
|Student: Teacher Ratio||12:1|
This Blog Includes:
- Why Choose the University of Melbourne?
- University of Melbourne Acceptance Rate
- University of Melbourne Undergraduate Admissions
- University of Melbourne Graduate Admissions
- UG & PG Eligibility
- Application Process
- University of Melbourne Popular Courses & Deadlines with Entry Requirements
- Essential VISA Requirements
- Application Tips
- Notable Alumni
Why Choose the University of Melbourne?
The best institution in Australia that provides courses in a variety of subject areas under one roof is the University of Melbourne. The following is a list of just a few of the many benefits of choosing the University of Melbourne:
- According to Times Higher Education, the University of Melbourne is ranked first in Australia and thirty-first worldwide.
- Since everyone in the world agrees that Melbourne is the best city for education, it is the best choice for international students.
- The University of Melbourne offers a multicultural experience to its alumni as well as the faculty because it 36% international students.
- Buses, trains, taxis, and trams are all extremely practical modes of transportation in Melbourne, which makes accessing the city quite easy.
- The University of Melbourne attracts students with its wide variety of delicious international cuisine. It has a lot to offer, from classic Australian cuisine to Asian cuisine.
University of Melbourne Acceptance Rate
The University of Melbourne’s acceptance rate is 70-80%. The acceptance rate of the university gives it a distinctive space in the Australian educational landscape, making it a selective institution. Depending upon the competitiveness and zeal among students, the entry criteria for admission vary. For engineering and management science-based programs, it is harder to be chosen during the selection process as compared to the domains of education and agricultural science. Moreover, for non-native speakers of English, it is necessary to score significantly high on English proficiency tests like IELTS: 7.0, TOEFL (iBT): 94, PTE: 65, and CAE/CPE: 185.
Note: Details mentioned above are general requirements. Get in touch with the experts of Leverage Edu for course-specific details.
Before moving on, have a look at the MIT Acceptance Rate!
University of Melbourne Undergraduate Admissions
The University of Melbourne offers admission to 3 and 4-year bachelor’s degree programs in more than 100 major fields of study. UG admissions at the University of Melbourne are country-specific. Candidates can apply directly via the university’s website with supporting documents. The application fee is around 100 AUD and the deadlines are October 31st (first-year); June 12th (Mid-year). It may vary according to the program.
University of Melbourne Graduate Admissions
There are 340 programs offered by the University of Melbourne with coursework and research options. Some of the major graduate programs are engineering, law, medicine, etc. Candidates can apply directly via the university’s official website. The application fee is 100 AUD and the application deadline for Semester 1: is November 30th and Semester 2: is April 30th.
UG & PG Eligibility
- It is essential that you have a 10+2 basic qualification from a recognized academic board like CBSE, ICSE, or State Board with the minimum percentage of marks required.
- Moreover, it is necessary that the prospective candidate has an understanding and command of the English language which has to be demonstrated by undertaking standardized language proficiency tests like IELTS, TOEFL, etc.
- For undergraduate courses, an impressive score on the ACT or SAT exam will supplement a student’s educational career.
- It is important to have a letter of recommendation (LOR) and Statement of Purpose (SOP) which are evaluated during the application process.
- Work experience in a bachelor’s degree and PG courses will take an individual’s educational journey to new heights. Scores on GMAT and GRE play an essential role in PG courses.
Following mentioned are the eligible marks required for ICSE and CBSE students and for state board students in the popular courses at the University of Melbourne:
|Course||ICSE and CBSE Students||For State Board Students|
Before moving ahead to understand the University of Melbourne acceptance rate, it is imperative to know that it offers admission to multiple bachelor’s degrees, honours degrees, year-long diplomas as well as concurrent diplomas in more than 100 areas of study. In order to pave the way for admission into this top-notch university, LORs, essays, academic transcripts, language proficiency tests, and research projects amongst many other evaluative standards will form an integral part of a student’s profile.
Now that you know the University of Melbourne Acceptance rate,
read this related blog on the University of Manchester Acceptance Rate!
University of Melbourne Popular Courses & Deadlines with Entry Requirements
To understand the University of Melbourne acceptance rate more comprehensively, it is important to be aware of the major courses and their respective requirements. Tabulated below is a list that will give a holistic view of the courses.
|Major Courses||Application Deadline||Test Score Requirements|
|Master of Computer Science||Nov 30th
|Bachelor of Science||Nov 30th||IELTS 6.5|
|Bachelor of Commerce||Nov 30th||IELTS 6.5|
|Master of Information System||Nov 30th||IELTS 6.5|
|MS in BioSciences||Sem 1: Nov 30th
Sem 2: April 30th
|Master of Applied Econometrics||Oct 31st||IELTS 6.5|
|Master of Banking and Finance Law||Oct 31st
|Master of Data Science||Oct 31st||IELTS 6.5|
Essential VISA Requirements
Before making the decision of studying abroad, it is vital to have a thorough knowledge of the university’s acceptance letter along with the payment agreement and enrollment confirmation. There are certain mandatory visa requirements you can’t do away with. The following criteria are to be taken into consideration for Visa requirements:
- Confirmation of Enrolment
- Health cover for overseas studies
- Temporary Entrant Statement
- English language proficiency proof
- Proof of funds/ financial self-reliance
Must Read: University of Toronto Acceptance Rate
It is a daunting task to carve a niche for yourself in one of Australia’s top-notch educational universities. Being clear with decisive strategies helps in facilitating one’s admission to the university. Enlisted below are some quintessential tips that should be taken into consideration before applying to the University.
- Capacity to take Risks
- Collaborative and Cooperative enough
- One should have the ability to prioritize balance
- Be aligned with the University of Melbourne’s mission
- Filled with Intensity, curiosity as well as excitement
This is the list of the University of Melbourne’s arguably Australia’s notable people:
- Cate Blanchett – Australian – American Actress
- Julian Assange – Australian publisher, editor, and activist
- Tenzin Gyatso (14th Dalai Lama) – The highest spiritual leader of Tibet and a retired political leader of Tibet
- Randeep Hooda – Indian actor and Equestrian
- Julia Gullard – 27th Australian Prime Minister and Former leader of the labour party
We hope this blog has helped you gather all the indispensable information related to the University of Melbourne acceptance rate. Looking forward to joining the University of Melbourne but apprehensive about the acceptance? Let the experts at Leverage Edu take care of your academic journey with their professional counselling. Sign up for your free 30 minutes of e-counselling and unveil new educational opportunities!