Masters in Cyber Security in the USA are usually done after a bachelor’s degree in a related and relevant field. Once completed, various organizations and agencies hire candidates as professionals in cyber security and information assurance leadership roles. There are also options to pursue this degree full-time, or part-time. Let’s have a look at the overview of the courses under Masters in Cyber Security in the USA, and the future job opportunities and salaries.
This Blog Includes:
What is Cyber Security?
Computer systems are susceptible to malicious attacks and malpractice. Cyber Security is of help here. It protects these systems from theft, damage, and attacks on their hardware and software. Cyber security also controls access to these systems to safeguard their approachability.
Why is Cyber Security Relevant?
There are various reasons why this field is growing. But largely, it is due to the human population’s dependence on computer systems. The emergence of the information age, along with the arrival of the internet, and wireless networks such as WiFi, and Bluetooth, also brought about an increase in ease of access. As evident, there is increasing usage of devices such as smartphones. This furthers the accessibility of information and data. There has been an addition to information technology with devices that constitute the Internet of Things. It also prompts more attacks driven by acquiring this data through information systems. Protecting and preventing such occurrences is the job of cybersecurity professionals.
Why Study a Master in Cyber Security in the USA?
When we talk about the USA, there are several reasons why it is so prominent in the country and why one should pursue this degree there.
- The foremost reason is statistics. Have a look below.
|Job Profile||Growth in Percentage|
|Information Security Analyst||32 per cent by 2028|
- Next, the pay grade and salary packages for cybersecurity professionals in the USA are significant. For example, for an Information Security Analyst, the compensation can range up to 100,000 USD per annum (INR 82 lakh).
- Additionally, there are a variety of interesting courses in the field of cybersecurity in the USA, and several universities that are ready to offer them.
Now, what are these popular courses in the field of cybersecurity in the USA? Tabulated below are some of the programs offered as Masters in Cybersecurity in the USA.
|Cybersecurity – Management Information Systems||University of Nevada, Las Vegas||2-3 years, maximum||USD 23,383/ year (INR 19.2 lakh/year)|
|Cyber and Homeland Security Administration||Fairleigh Dickinson University||1 year||USD 22,400/year (INR 18.5 lakh/year)|
|Master of Science in Information Systems – Cyber Security and Information Assurance||University of Colorado – Denver||2 years.||USD 42,480 (INR 35 lakh)|
|Master of Science in Computer Science – Computer Security||Kent State University||3 semesters||USD 26,973 (INR 22.2 lakh)|
|Master of Science in Cybersecurity||Sacred Heart University||1 year.||USD 28,950 (INR 24 lakh)|
These are some of the examples of specialisations, concerning Masters in Cyber Security in the USA.
- Usable Security: Human-centric focus is the main component here. The course emphasizes how to design and build secure systems.
- Hardware Security: This discipline involves the protection of devices from threats. Further, the course consists of hardware design, access control, secure multi-party computation, etc.
- Software Security: The course focuses more on the software aspect of cyber security.
- Cryptography: The workings of cryptographic systems are detailed in this course.
These are the top universities when it comes to Masters in Cyber Security in the USA:
|Universities||QS Ranking 2023|
|Carnegie Mellon University||52|
|New Jersey Institute of Technology||651-700|
|University of Delaware||581-590|
|University of San Diego||1001-1200|
|University of California Berkeley (UC Berkeley)||27|
|George Washington University||362|
|Florida International University||751-800|
The eligibility criteria are as follows:
- Bachelor’s in relevant courses with a minimum of 50 per cent to 60 per cent.
- A medical history may be required to be submitted.
- At least one to two years of study in Mathematics.
- In the USA, you have to give English language proficiency tests like IELTS/ TOEFL/ PTE and clear the minimum score requirement specified by the chosen university.
These are the documents required for your application to Masters in Cyber Security in the USA:
- Official academic transcripts
- Scanned copy of the passport
- CV/ Resume
- Letter of Recommendation
- English language proficiency test scores
- Statement of Purpose
- Two Reference Letters
The application process takes place over some time and begins months before the commencement of classes. The universities have two main intakes known as the fall intake and spring intake for international students to kick-start their journey. You can call our Leverage Edu experts on 1800 572 000 to find out how the application process can be fast-tracked and streamlined! Here’s an easy 5-step process to complete your application process:
- Call our experts on 1800 572 000 to shortlist your favourite universities and courses. Start your application to multiple universities through our one dashboard platform.
- Compile all your documents like SOPs, essays, certificates, LORs and exam scores like IELTS, TOEFL, GRE, GMAT, etc.
- Meet all the application deadlines and start the application process for accommodation, students visa, and scholarships/student loans.
- Accept the offer letter and meet your teachers, college mates and roommates virtually.
- Get your visa approved and fly to your dream university.
Jobs and Salary
There are several jobs available in the field of cyber security. The following are top jobs and their salaries after completion of a Masters’s in Cyber Security in the USA:
|Job Positions||Average Annual Salary|
|Systems Administrator||$79,990 (INR 66 lakh)|
|Network Engineer||$100,000 (INR 82.4 lakh)|
|Programmer Analyst||$81,334 (INR 67 lakh)|
|Security Engineer||$119,981 (INR 99 lakh)|
|Chief Information Security Officer||$230,801 (INR 1.9 crore)|
Every industry has the potential to hire cybersecurity professionals. These are the top industries:
- Pharmaceutical/Life Sciences
Yes, the field of cybersecurity is getting high traction in the USA.
The USA and the UK are the best countries to study for a master’s in cyber security.
Although learning cybersecurity might be challenging, it doesn’t have to be, especially if you have a strong interest in technology. Develop an interest in the technology you use, and you could discover that difficult abilities become simpler.
This was all about Masters in Cyber Security in the USA. If you want to get into a high-ranked university for Mtech in Cyber Security, you may enlist the assistance of Leverage Edu specialists to assist you with the application process so that you can realise your goals. Call us immediately at 1800 57 2000 for a free 30-minute counselling session.