Helping people to maintain a healthy lifestyle, reduce stress, fight diseases, building a healthy immune system, etc are some of the vital practices that an Ayurvedic doctor does to help people. Getting a degree in Ayurveda is certainly back in demand, especially after the COVID-19 pandemic. People have sort of gained back their trust in Ayurveda history and science after the incoming of this deadly virus. Hence, many students are now opting to pursue a career in Ayurveda and become an Ayurvedic Doctor. This blog will let you know about how to become an ayurvedic doctor and practice it as a career.
What is Ayurveda?
Ayurveda is one of the world’s oldest healing systems for the entire body that was developed and used more than 3,000 years ago in India. The basis of this process is the belief that health along with wellness depends on the right balance between the mind, body, and spirit. The main goal of Ayurveda is to promote good health. Nowadays, the treatments are specific to health problems. People who practice Ayurveda believe in the five basic elements found in the universe: space, air, fire, water, and earth. They believe that these five elements form three life energies, called doshas, which control how the body works. The 3 types of doshas are:
- Vata dosha (space and air)
- Pitta dosha (fire and water)
- Kapha dosha (water and earth)
Who are Ayurvedic Doctors?
Ayurvedic Doctors help people to assess dietary habits and change lifestyle choices for their betterment. The Ayurvedic Doctor helps people in achieving the following:
- Know the mind-body balance
- Know the history of the body
- Know how to solve the imbalances of Agni, Dosha, and Stotras based on the Ayurvedic Principles.
- Can bring changes in food and lifestyle based on the Ayurvedic Constitution
- Suggest Ayurvedic herbs, spices, drugs, and Ayurvedic herbal supplements
- List out Ayurvedic bodywork techniques to work on
- Explain the connection between Body and Mind.
How to Become an Ayurvedic Doctor?
The students must fulfill the following criteria to become an Ayurvedic Doctor
- Students must have to pursue Bachelors of Ayurveda Medical and Surgery degree to become an Ayurvedic Doctor.
- Students have to clear the NEET-UG examination to pursue the BAMS degree.
Two Paths to Pursue Ayurveda
- Students have to complete class 10th with Sanskrit. then pursue a Pre Ayurvedic Certificate Course, clear the NEET-UG exam, followed by a BAMS degree.
- On the other hand, students can complete their 10+2 with Biology, followed by a BAMS degree.
Students who wish to pursue and become an ayurvedic doctor have to go through an entrance examination such as NEET-UG. It is a national-level entrance examination for BAMS admissions held throughout India.
How to Apply for the NEET Exam?
If you aspire to become an ayurvedic doctor and want to give NEET examination, the below-mentioned procedures will help you to apply for the same:
- Go to the official website of NTA NEET
- Register and provide the details to generate the NEET Registration No. and Password
- Use the registration and password on the official website and give your academic details, test centre as per your choice.
- Upload the documents and pay the application fee
- Click on “Save and Submit”
Popular Colleges to Pursue BAMS
Here are some renowned and highly reputed colleges in India where you can pursue a BAMS course and hence, can kickstart your career in the field of Ayurveda after completing your graduation. Have a look:
- Institute of Medical Sciences Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
- Shree Guru Gobind Singh Tricentenary University, Gurgaon
- Tilak Ayurved Mahavidyalaya, Pune
- Patanjali Ayurved College, Haridwar
- State Ayurvedic college and Hospital, Lucknow
- KG Mittal Ayurvedic College, Mumbai
- Government Ayurved College and Hospital, Nagpur
- JSS Ayurveda Medical College, Mysuru
- Ashtang Ayurved Mahavidyalaya, Pune
- Podar Ayurved Medical College, Mumbai
Duration of the BAMS Course
BAMS is a 5-year course and a 6-month degree program that contains 4+1/2 academic time along with a one-year internship program.
Top Ayurveda Institutes Abroad
There are various colleges and institutes abroad where you can pursue a career in Ayurveda and become an Ayurvedic doctor. Some of the colleges/institutes are mentioned below:
- American Institute of Vedic Studies, US
- Leicester School Of Ayurveda, UK
- Australasian Institution of Ayurvedic Studies, New Zealand
- Ayurveda College, Australia
- California College of Ayurveda, US
- The Ayurvedic College of Great Britain, London
- Dr. Vasant Lad’s The Ayurvedic Institute, Mexico
- International Ayurveda College, Worcester
- Maharishi Ayurveda, Australia
- Sewa Academy, Germany
Job Opportunities for Ayurvedic Doctors
There are other various career opportunities for students who want to pursue BAMS and continue practicing. Some of them are:
- Dispensaries of the State Research Center
- Government hospitals
- Private hospitals
- Ayurveda hospitals
- Research Centres.
- Ayurveda Pharmaceuticals
- Universities of Ayurveda
- Ayurveda Centers
Key Skills Required to Become an Ayurvedic Doctor
Some very important skills are needed to become an Ayurvedic Doctor. Some of the skills are:
- Thinking skills to analyze the situation
- Empathy for the patients
- Interest in different Forms of Medicine
- Patience towards the patients
- Interpretation and Assimilation
- Observation of the situation
- Interest in different Herbs
- Knowledge of the relevant field
This was all about how to become an Ayurvedic Doctor. If you want to fulfill your dream of pursuing a career in medicine and studying abroad, then reach out to our Leverage Edu experts to get a proper roadmap to kickstart your career of choice.