Gastroenterology is a specific sub-field of medical sciences that deals with the gastrointestinal tract, the digestive systems as well as the relevant diseases and disorders. From treating bowel irritability to Hepatitis C, a gastroenterologist helps treat a range of diseases and is involved in operational procedures and surgeries. Furthermore, with the inclusion of health technologies, specialised instruments and advanced endoscopic procedures, gastroenterology has grown from being just a pill-with-water science. Read on to know more about the courses you can pursue to become a gastroenterologist along with the universities that offer relevant degree programs.
Related Article: How to Become a Veterinary Doctor
This Blog Includes:
- Who is a Gastroenterologist?
- Roles and Responsibilities of a Gastroenterologist
- Steps to Become a Gastroenterology
- Courses to Pursue to Become a Gastroenterologist
- List of Universities to Become a Gastroenterologist
- Documents Require
Who is a Gastroenterologist?
As a gastroenterologist, you are expected to have an advanced understanding of the gastrointestinal system, nutrient absorption, waste and excretion process as well as other vital parts including but not limited to pancreas, pharynx, salivary glands, rectum, gallbladder, tongue and epiglottis. Furthermore, owing to the diversification of diseases to rare and complex ones such as Crohn’s Disease, Chronic Liver Disease, Appendicitis, Hernia, Cholecystitis, Gastrointestinal Cancer, and Transplantation, amongst others.
Roles and Responsibilities of a Gastroenterologist
Specific responsibilities of a gastroenterologist include:
- Perform endoscopic ultrasound of various parts of the gastrointestinal tract.
- Conduct colonoscopies in order to detect life-threatening diseases like colon polyps and colon cancer.
- Conduct biopsies of the liver for disorders like inflammation, fibrosis, etc.
- Perform highly complex procedures like endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography for the identification of tumours, gallstones, scar tissues, etc.
- For small intestines, execute double-balloon enteroscopy
Related Article: Role of Medical Representative
Steps to Become a Gastroenterology
Students who are looking forward to becoming a Gastroenterologist, follow the below steps:
Get Prepared for the Entrance Exams
Students who chose to major in Physics, Chemistry, and Biology at the senior secondary (+2) level must take a medical entrance exam that is administered by a number of state and independent organisations, such as AIPMT, to get admitted to one of the many medical institutions that are affiliated with them and offer the MBBS degree programme.
Students must pass entrance exams held by the various institutions independently to get enrolled in top medical colleges like AIIMS, GMCH, AFMC Pune, etc.
Enrol Yourself in Master’s Programs
After completing an MBBS degree programme and one year and six months of required training, aspirants must enrol in an M.D. (Medicine) programme to be eligible for admission to the doctor of medicine (DM) programme (Gastroenterology).
For admission to the MD (Medicine) programme, aspiring MBBS doctors must take one of the Post Graduate Medical Entrance Tests, such as the All India Post Graduate Medical/Dental Entrance Exam or the Jawaharlal Institute of Post-graduate Medical Education and Research Entrance Exam.
However, some institutions also offer admission based on the MBBS course grades and the applicants’ prior employment.
Obtain a Doctoral Degree
Aspiring gastroenterologists must enrol in DM after completing the two-year MD (Medicine) programme (Gastroenterology). Depending on the institution, performance in the qualifying exam and performance in the entrance examination are both taken into consideration when granting admission to this doctoral level course.
With the proper training and registration from the Medical Council of India, aspiring gastroenterologists can get employment in prestigious public and private hospitals like AIIMS, MAX, etc. A gastroenterologist may also establish their own clinic and treat patients there.
Courses to Pursue to Become a Gastroenterologist[optin-monster-shortcode id=”xf2mlnjiouddzrshykdb”]
Pursuing courses in gastroenterology is the first step towards starting a vibrant career in a range of occupations and industries:
- Starting from the bachelor’s level to a Doctor of Medicine and beyond, gastroenterology degree programs are offered at several levels.
- Further, one can also pursue an MBBS with a specialization in Gastroenterology.
- Graduates with a significant amount of medicinal practice and experience can also choose to supplement their knowledge with an MBA Healthcare Management or advanced clinical research courses.
- In addition to that, individuals with qualifications in medical science courses can switch towards gastroenterology by means of such degrees. Practical experiences, simulations, assistantships, etc are integral to maintaining a practical outlook.
List of Universities to Become a Gastroenterologist
With the growing awareness towards a healthy lifestyle as well as complications arising in digestive medicine, universities are steadily offering highly intensive courses including MPhil and PhD courses along with Diploma and online qualifications. Students are advised that the duration of the program, gastroenterologist practice conditions and eligibility criteria differ according to the chosen university and study abroad destination. For the purpose of ease, the following table lists down some of the top institutions recognised for their prospective courses in Gastroenterology.
|Name of University||Country||THE World
of Hong Kong
|Hong Kong||=56th||MSc Gastroenterology|
|Queen Mary University
MSc Gastroenterology [Distance]PG Diploma Gastroenterology
PG Diploma Gastroenterology
|UK||=158th||DM Gastrointestinal Surgery
MPhil Gastrointestinal Surgery
MRes Gastrointestinal Surgery
MSc Gastrointestinal Surgery
|University of Liverpool||UK||163th||MD Gastroenterology
|The University of Hull||UK||501-600th||BSc Gastroenterology Care
[Online]MSc Gastroenterology Care
|University of Salford||UK||801-1000th||PG Certificate Gastrointestinal
- The procedure of applying to the above-mentioned institutions for Gastroenterology courses may require students to submit GRE and IELTS/TOEFL scores, Research Proposal, Statement of Purpose (SOP), Letters of Recommendation (LOR), official transcripts and CV, amongst other materials.
- Applicants with a few years of experience in industry or research capacities are generally preferred. Moreover, international applicants must start their application as early as possible since sending of scores and arranging recommendations take time.
The job of a gastroenterologist is challenging and demanding as well as holds high charm and admiration. If you aspire to become one, pursuing the above courses can gear you up for a rewarding career. Take the assistance of the AI-enabled tool at Leverage Edu which narrows down course and institute picks based on your personalised interests and inclinations and assists you in making an informed and wise decision.