Do you love reading voyage stories? Do you ever think about the professionals behind the maintenance of large ships and vessels? An ETO or Electro-Technical Officer plays a vital role in the maintenance of large vessels ranging from installation to repairs and other related tasks. Pursuing an ETO course can help you turn your dream of working on a ship into reality. A career in maritime can be as adventurous as it appears to be. This blog will help you with everything you should know about an ETO course along with various institutions offering this course.
This Blog Includes:
ETO Merchant Navy
An Electro-Technical Officer joins the Merchant Navy after their ETO Course of 4 months is completed. The training of an ETO for the Merchant Navy happens within shipping guidelines with practical demonstrations, audio-visual aids, and hands-on training. After spending enough time in the sea, candidates must appear for the Certificate of Competency Exam conducted by the Directorate General of Shipping, Government of India. Once received, you become ETO Merchant Navy.
Responsibilities of an ETO
From reporting to the Chief Engineer to performing a number of crucial tasks on the ship, an ETO has the following set of responsibilities:
- Checking devices and electronic equipment on the ship for malfunctioning.
- Ensuring that the vessel has all the required electric equipment and they are updated.
- Coordinate tasks with technicians on the shore.
- Ensuring that the equipment needed for safety during an emergency is handy.
Eligibility Criteria for ETO Course
To pursue an ETO course, the candidate should fulfil the below-mentioned pre-requisites:
- The candidate should have completed class 12th with an aggregate of 60% with Physics, Chemistry and Maths as major subjects.
- The candidate should have completed a Bachelor’s degree in Btech/BE in Electrical and Electronics, Telecommunication or a related field or a Diploma in Engineering.
- Moreover, the candidate has to appear for written exams followed by a personal interview for further assessment.
ETO Course Eligibility
The job of an ETO is quite demanding and of great responsibility. Even your smallest mistake can land the whole crew in trouble. Thus, graduates applying for this profile are thoroughly tested and similarly, those applying for an ETO course are tested on similar lines. One such parameter apart from academic qualification is the age limit and medical fitness.
Managing a ship as big as ‘The Titanic’ isn’t a petty job and it should not be taken lightly. ETO’s job is to manage all the technical tasks on the ship for which they have to remain alert for 24 hours. This calls for candidates who are applying for the ETO course to be mentally and physically fit. Going through a myriad of inspections is to prove your overall fitness. Also, the candidate’s age should not exceed 35 years.
To become an ETO, you must have a bachelor’s degree required by the DG, and your age should not exceed 35 years.
AN ETO is trained thrice during their course.
- Pre-Sea Training: This is a 4-month DG-approved training course. On completion of this course, trainees can join the team at sea.
- Sea Training Part 1: This is an 8-month training as Trainee Electro-Technical Officer
- Sea Training Part 2: This is a 6-month training as Assistant Electro-Technical Officer. Post this, you are eligible to be employed as an ETO.
Procedure to Join ETO Training
- Clear Entrance Test of 100 marks. The test is divided into English, Electrical Engineering, and Aptitude Test. It is a 3-hour long test.
- Clear Psychology Test- It is a 2-hour test with personality-based questions.
- Panel Interview: Shortlisted students are called for an interview via email
- Medical Exam and Eye test- You will undergo a medical test conducted by company-appointed doctors
- Provisional Selection Letter- After qualifying, you will be given a selection letter with fee details in it. You need to submit the mentioned documents and reserve a seat in the institution.
ETO Course in Merchant Navy
ETO Course in Merchant Navy includes three sections, the first is for electrical knowledge, the second is an English test, and the last one is an aptitude test.
- Power Electronics and Drives
- Electrical Machines
- Electronics and Control Systems
- Control Systems
- Analog and Digital Electronics
- Protection and switchgear
- Power Systems
- Electrical and Electronic Measurements
- Signals and Systems
- Sentence Completion
- Quantitative Reasoning
- Qualitative reasoning
- Abstract reasoning
- Logical reasoning
- Spatial reasoning
Top Maritime Institutes Abroad
Below mentioned is a list of specialised Maritime institutes and academies offering a wide range of ETO courses to students around the world:
- Massachusetts Maritime Academy
- California Maritime Academy
- Tokyo University of Maritime Science and Technology.
- Australian Maritime College
Top Colleges in India Offering ETO Courses
1 AMET University, Tamil Nadu
2 Anglo Eastern Maritime Academy, Maharashtra
3 BP Marine Academy, Maharashtra
4 Coimbatore Marine College, Tamil Nadu
5 Euro Tech Maritime Academy, Kerala
6 HIMT College, Kalpakkam, TN
7 HIMT College, Tidel Park, TN
8 International Maritime Institute, Uttar Pradesh
9 MTI (Maritime Training Institute), Powai, Maharashtra
10 RL Institute of Nautical Sciences, Tamil Nadu
11 Samundra Institute of Maritime Studies, Maharashtra
12 Seacom Marine College, Howrah
13 The Great Eastern Institute of Maritime Studies, Maharashtra
14 Tolani Maritime Institute, Maharashtra
15 UV Patel College of Engineering, Gujarat
ETO Course Fees
There are different fees for the entire course. They are listed below:
|Course Fees||INR 2,10,000|
|Application Fees||INR 1000|
|Telephone, Passport, Visa, and Travel||To be bore by Student|
Career as an ETO
All you need is a premier institute in maritime to pursue an ETO course after meeting the required fitness criteria. On completion of this course, students are awarded the certificate of completion which acts as the license to be hired as an ETO on a vessel.
Electro-Technical Officers are responsible to monitor all the electrical and electronic equipment onboard to ensure operational safety and excellent efficiency of the vessel. They are involved with deck and engineering officers for all hydraulic and electrical technology and challenges related to machinery.
Your salary will begin with your training in the sea and will increase depending on your profile.
|Training ETO||INR 30,000 per month|
|Assistant ETO||INR 50,000 per month|
|ETO||INR 1,25,000 per month|
As an ETO, you have a lot of options to increase your rank or work in different countries. An ETO can become Captain by spending the required time in the sea and fulfilling entry requirements. An ETO can also become the Chief Engineer but they have to follow the same route as Marine Engineer.
Also Read: Aircraft Maintenance Engineering Colleges
Passed 10th Standard with English as a distinct subject with at least 50% marks in English, passed Diploma with 60%, passed Three-Year Degree through Lateral Entry with 50% marks. Any State, Central Government, or AICTE must accept the diploma/degree Courses.
Anglo Eastern Maritime Academy (AEMA)
Samundra Institute of maritime Studies (SIMS)
The Great Eastern Institute of Maritime Studies (GEIMS)
Tolani Maritime Institute
Euro Tech Maritime Academy
Engineer to order (ETO) manufacturing entails creating a product to a customer’s precise specifications.
Being an unconventional program, pursuing an ETO course can be an adventurous career choice for those who are interested in the electro-technical aspects of the ship. You can also reach out to our experts at Leverage Edu to get help with the application process for this course at your desired institution.