In a broader sense, Nautical Science imparts learners with the skills and knowledge of ship operations, technical equipment, functional structures and the like. Amongst the sought-after undergraduate courses in this field, BSc Nautical Science is generally offered as a 3-4 bachelor’s degree program and provides students with the technical and theoretical knowledge of ship navigation, ship construction, technicalities of ship operation, oceanography, meteorology, voyage planning, maritime commerce among many other subjects. To ascend more ladders in this field you need to look beyond just an undergraduate degree. If you are exploring higher studies options after completing this program, this blog brings you a complete list of courses after BSc Nautical Science that you must consider.
This Blog Includes:
- Course Overview
- Why You Should Consider Studying BSc Nautical Science?
- Courses after BSc Nautical Science
- Top Universities
- Top Indian Colleges That Offer BSc Nautical Science Courses
- Eligibility Criteria
- Career Scope
Commonly offered as a 3-4 year undergraduate degree, BSc Nautical Science provides students with the theoretical and technical understanding of the major devices and techniques used in operating and navigating marine vehicles. Students also get to know about shipboard equipment and tools along with the essential aspects of Marine Engineering, Navigation Systems, Ship Operation Technology, Maritime Law, and Ship Construction amongst others. Completing this undergraduate degree, graduates can explore entry-level job opportunities in Marine Engineering and Nautical Science such as Nautical Surveyors, Marine Superintendents, Deck Officers, etc. Many students also opt for PG diploma and master’s degree courses after BSc in Nautical Science to enhance their knowledge of Maritime Studies and aim for higher-level careers in this field.
|Full-Form||Bachelor of Science in Nautical Science|
|Job Positions||Second Officer, Deck Cadet, Marine Engineer, Radio Officer, Oceanography, etc|
|Recruiting Companies||GSI, Coal India, ONGC, GMDC, Government-Operated Quarries, etc|
Why You Should Consider Studying BSc Nautical Science?
Here are some reasons why you need to pursue higher education in Nautical Science:
- BSc in Nautical Science is one of the most popular as well as finest courses you can choose in the field of seamanship. This course is perfect for students who aim to develop a career in Nautical Science
- When you complete your graduation, you will be able to find numerous designations such as Marine Engineer, Deck Cadet, Radio Officer, etc.
- If you’re looking for adventurous and exciting career options where you can showcase your creativity, BSc in Nautical Science is the perfect option for you.
- One of the best benefits of the BSc in Nautical Science is that the career scope is wider. You will also notice versatility in your job position.
- Unlike the other courses, BSc Nautical Science is less saturated. You will never face problems standing apart from the crowd.
Courses after BSc Nautical Science
After graduating with a bachelor’s degree in Nautical Science, you can further pursue higher studies in different specialisations of Marine Engineering such as Shipping, Maritime Law, Maritime Technology, Maritime Trade Management, and Oceanography, to name a few. Here are we have enlisted some of the major courses after BSc Nautical Science:
- PG Diploma in Logistics and Shipping
- MSc in Shipping, Trade & Finance
- MSc Maritime Policy and Shipping
- MSc Maritime Affairs
- MBA Maritime and Shipping
- ME in Marine Engineering
- Higher National Diploma in Marine Engineering
- Maritime Law, LLM
- Certificate Course in Ship Wright
- Post Graduate Programme in Maritime Law
- Graduate Marine Engineering
- Medical First Aid (MFA)
- Ship Masters Medicare
- Master’s in Maritime Technology
- Master’s in Marine Transport Management
- Post Graduate Diploma in Marine Engineering
- HND or Higher National Diploma in Nautical Science
- Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS)
- Chemical Tanker Familiarization (CTF)
- Pre – sea Training for Graduates (GME)
Below we have elaborated on some of the popular courses after BSc Nautical Science and their key features:
MSc in Shipping, Trade & Finance
This MSc degree program in shipping, trade and finance is primarily centred around maritime business and commerce. It helps deck officers and maritime professionals to enhance their trade skills and advance their careers in the shipping sector. The duration of this course is two years and aims to impart to students the knowledge of Finance and Trade Management in the context of shipping and maritime studies.
MBA Maritime and Shipping
MBA Maritime and Shipping opens a range of career prospects for deck officers who are seeking an onshore job opportunity. This course encompasses the study of the legalities of the sea, port, cargo operations and management, marine insurance, and chartering. One must keep in mind that many universities offering these MBA programs ask for at least 2-5 years of experience in the field.
Maritime Law, LLM
Maritime law is among the trending courses hankered after by maritime professionals who aspire to become maritime lawyers. The world is heavily dependent on the shipping industry for it is needed to meet the demands of products and food. Since trade is done through international maritime borders, it is important for a country to train individuals in the managerial, legal and organisational aspects of maritime law.
MSc Maritime Affairs
Amongst the most popular courses after BSc in Nautical Science, an MSc in Maritime Affairs underscores the importance of skilful implementation of maritime expertise. This course has been developed to meet the increasing requirements of the maritime industry as well as create experts with future skills. It imbues you with a solid academic and practical base to help you move up in your career at a global level.
MSc Maritime Policy and Shipping
MSc in Maritime Policy and Shipping is a management degree course. It is most practical and research-based. This course relies on the consultancy of academic experts. This has an outstanding global presence in the discipline of maritime affairs. It is another prominent mention in our list of courses after BSc Nautical Science and is targeted primarily at students who want to brush up their careers and venture into global management and policy formulation in the context of maritime.
Now that you are familiar with the different postgraduate programs you can consider, take a look at the list of prominent maritime universities and colleges for the aforementioned courses after BSc Nautical Science:
- Australian Maritime College
- Liverpool John Moores University
- University of Tasmania
- Old Dominion University
- University of Plymouth
- Griffith University
- Berlin School of Business and Innovation
- World Maritime University
- Cardiff University
To know more, check out our detailed blog on Marine Engineering Colleges!
Top Indian Colleges That Offer BSc Nautical Science Courses
If you want to complete your BSc Nautical Science course from India, you need to make sure you’re taking admission to a reputed university. Here’s everything you need to know about the top universities in India that offer BSc Nautical Science.
|Name of the College||City||Course Fees||Salary|
|Mumbai University||Mumbai||INR 6 Lakh||INR 8 Lakh|
|Vels University||Chennai||INR 2.25 Lakh||INR 8 Lakh|
|AMET University||Chennai||INR 3.25 Lakh||INR 7 Lakh|
|Indian Maritime University||Chennai||INR 2.25 Lakh||INR 6 Lakh|
|Mangalore Marine College of Technology||Mangalore||INR 2.2 Lakh||INR 8 Lakh|
|Maritime Engineering and Research Institute||Mumbai||INR 2.25 Lakh||INR 7 Lakh|
|Hindustan Institute of Maritime Training||Chennai||INR 3.25 Lakh||INR 5.5 Lakh|
|Park Maritime Academy||Coimbatore||INR 1.77 Lakh||INR 7 Lakh|
If you want to pursue BSc in Nautical Science, you need to make sure you’re fulfilling the eligibility criteria. Here are some important things you need to know about eligibility criteria:
- The candidates should complete their class 12th exam from a registered board. The candidate should also score at least 60% marks in the science subjects such as maths, physics, and chemistry.
- Apart from the educational qualification, the students also need to maintain some specific medical standards which will play an integral role in determining the eligibility of the candidate during the assessment process. The candidate should not have any physical problems such as colour blindness or night blindness.
- The eligibility criteria will vary from one college to another. This is why you need to pay close attention to the colleges.
After successfully completing a graduate diploma or degree in a specialisation of Nautical Science, you can choose from a wide range of higher-level opportunities in Marine Engineering. By pursuing courses after BSc Nautical Science, you can also gain specialised knowledge of your chosen field of interest and further steer towards building a career in the same. Here are some of the popular career opportunities you must consider after completing a PG Diploma or masters in Nautical Science and Marine Engineering:
- Navigation Officer
- Operation Manager
- Marine Engineer
- Radio Officer
- Port Operations officer
Here’s a salary structure that would help you understand how much of the salary package you might receive after completing your graduation. But keep in mind that the salary will depend on your overall experience as well as your job designation.
|USA||USD 97,000 (INR 80 Lakh)|
|UK||GBP 45,000 (INR 45 Lakh)|
|Canada||CAD 74,000 (INR 42 Lakh)|
|Australia||AUD 81,000 (INR 47 Lakh)|
|India||INR 9 Lakh|
BSc Nautical Science course provides students with an opportunity to become a Navigating Officer on merchant ships. The joining position is known as Deck Cadet and students get to travel worldwide.
The best course after a BSc degree depends upon your career aspirations. If you want to specialize in a particular field then opting for a Master’s program is the best option for you. Whereas, if you want to join the corporate world then MBA or other short-term professional courses like PGDM are the best ones for you.
Nautical Science is the Science of navigating and operating a merchant ship from one point to another. It is a multidisciplinary stream which includes Science, Physics, Mathematics, and Physical and Safety Training. BSc Nautical Science is a perfect combination of theoretical and practical training.
Yes, you can join Indian Navy after completing BSc Nautical Science. You need to check if you meet the eligibility criteria for the CDS exam.
If you want to get into a high-ranked university, you’ll need more than just good grades; you’ll also need flawless application because the competition is fierce. You may enlist the assistance of Leverage Edu specialists to assist you with the application process so that you can realise your goals. Call us immediately at 1800 57 2000 for a free 30-minute counselling session.