According to the Australian Institute of Architects, “A career in architecture offers opportunities to shape, perhaps even transform the environment in which we live”. Architects are involved in every stage of a construction project, from design to maintenance. Australia has emerged as a popular study abroad destination for engineering, business management, fine arts and architecture. Besides offering quality education, Australia is also an affordable option for students. As per Indeed, architects in Australia earn between AUD 79245- 90000 (INR 42.47 Lakh- 48.23 Lakh) per annum. Some of the top firms like Aileen Sage Architects, ARM Architecture, Bates Smart are also situated in Australia. Let’s explore the top universities for masters of architecture in Australia, eligibility criteria and more.
This Blog Includes:
|Course||Master of Architecture (MArch)|
|Eligibility||Bachelor’s degree in Architecture/Bachelor’s degree in Architecture and Environment|
|Exams Required||IELTS, TOEFL or PTE|
|Job Prospects||Architects, Architectural Consultants, Architectural Drafter, Architectural Technologist|
|Average Salary Range||59,500 – 1,70,000 AUD (INR 31 Lakh – 90 Lakh)|
Why Study Master of Architecture in Australia?
- According to Employment Outlook Australia, job opportunities are predicted to increase by 9000 over the next five years, with 1800 new roles being added per year.
- Every year, the Australian government invests $300 million in scholarships for international students to help them develop their skills.
- GHD, Hames Harley, Hasell, Woods Bagot, Cox Architecture are housed in Australia and are among the top 100 architecture firms in the world, according to Arch Dialy.
- According to the QS World University Rankings, the University of Melbourne, the University of Sydney, and the University of New South Wales are better places to study architecture and the built environment than several Ivy League universities.
|University Name||QS World Ranking 2023|
|University of Melbourne||33|
|University of Sydney||41|
|University of New South Wales||45|
|University of Adelaide||109|
|University of Technology Sydney||137|
|Queensland University of Technology||=222|
- Bachelor’s degree in Architecture and design or the equivalent of up to 4 years
- International students can have a bachelor’s degree with honours in architectural studies of 3 years
- A minimum of 5.0 GPA or 65%
- In some Australian universities, a portfolio of design work after graduation is mandatory.
- Candidates must possess English proficiency test scores of at least 6.5 – 7.0 in IELTS and a score of 79 in TOEFL
- Official academic transcripts
- Scanned copy of passport
- CV/ Resume
- Letter of Recommendation
- English language proficiency test scores
- Statement of Purpose
- Two Reference Letters
- Postgraduate applicants have to submit a translation of the degree certificate in case the degree certificate is in another language other than English.
- Step 1: Select the University and the Course
The foremost thing is to select the program of master in architecture and the university you wish to pursue your undergraduate, postgraduate, or PhD. Check all the necessary details including an overview of the course, cost of studying & living, work permit rules, and other important information.
- Step 2: Gather Entry Requirements
This includes a collection of academic transcripts, proof of English proficiency test scores like TOEFL/IELTS/Duolingo, SOP, LOR, Australian visa, copies of passport and degree certificates. However, GMAT is not a mandatory requirement but it is suggested that you appear for the exam.
Note: Sign up for Leverage Live, prepare for IELTS and get the top scores to be a part of your chosen university in Australia!
- Step 3: Fill and Submit the Application
After collecting all the supporting documents, it’s time to fill up the application form. Fill in all the professional and personal information carefully. Once you have completed the application form, check all the details thoroughly and select a suitable time to submit your saved application.
- Step 4: Wait for the Offer or Conditional Letter
Finally, wait for the offer letter from the selected university. The application process takes a few weeks for evaluation. After receiving the offer letter, do the initial research for accommodation, apply for student loans and grants.
Cost of Studying Master of Architecture in Australia
|University Name||Total Program Fees (in AUD)|
|University of Melbourne||1,35,720 (INR 72 Lakh)|
|University of Sydney||84,000 (INR 44 Lakh)|
|University of New South Wales||87,200 (INR 46 Lakh)|
|Monash University||82,000 – 1,23,000 (INR 43 Lakh – 65 Lakh)|
|University of Adelaide||74,000 (INR 39 Lakh)|
|University of Technology Sydney||77,472 (INR 41 Lakh)|
|Curtin University||65,400 (INR 34 Lakh)|
|RMIT University||82,560 (INR 43 Lakh)|
|Queensland University of Technology||34,700 (INR 18 Lakh)|
Register Here and Book the Date to avail this opportunity!
Scholarship systems are offered by the Australian government to help students succeed. The following are some of the scholarships available to international students in Australia:
|Scholarship Name||Provider||Amount (AUD)|
|Future of Change Scholarships||University of New South Wales||33,729 (INR 17.9 Lakhs) for the entire program|
|UNSW Scholarship Program||University of New South Wales||8,442 (INR 8,442) per year|
|International Fee Waiver Scholarship||University of Queensland||50% of the tuition fee|
|Curtin International Scholarship||Curtin University||25% of tuition fees per year|
|Australia Awards||All Australian Universities||30,000 (INR 16 Lakhs)|
Job Prospects and Salary
As per Indeed, the average salary after completing Architecture in Australia is AUD 59000- 94000 (INR 30- 50 lakhs). Here are some of the popular job profiles with average salaries:
|Job Profiles||Average Annual Salary (AUD /INR)|
|Architectural Manager||1,70,000 (INR 90 Lakhs)|
|Architect||131,054 (INR 69 Lakhs)|
|Landscape Architect||94,345 (INR 50 Lakhs)|
|Architectural Drafter||56,579 (INR 30 Lakhs)|
|Architectural Consultant||1,57,000 (INR 83 Lakhs)|
|Architectural Technologist||59,500 (INR 31 Lakhs)|
RMIT, QUT, and UNSW are the best-ranked architectural universities in terms of student numbers. In addition, these universities have the highest percentage of architectural students, which adds to their appeal.
Yes, Architects can be registered if they apply for a Masters in Architecture at an Architects Accreditation Council of Australia (ACCA) certified university. They must also have completed at least a 5-year architecture study and must take the Architectural Practice Examination after completing the degree.
The eligibility criteria for a Masters of Architecture in Australia requires candidates to have a bachelor’s degree in Architecture and design or the equivalent of up to 4 years and International students can have a bachelor’s degree with honours in architectural studies of 3 years. A minimum of 5.0 GPA or 65% is also required.
Are you planning to pursue master of architecture in Australia. Contact our experts and counsellors at Leverage Edu will guide you from the application to Visa process. Book your FREE 30-minutes counselling session today!