Home Science is a combination of subjects like Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Economics, Human Development, Home Management, etc. It is a multidisciplinary course which covers varied topics related to Family Ecosystem. Communication and Extension, Human Development, Food and Nutrition, Resource Management, and Fabric and Apparel Science are some of the main specializations of Home Science. If you want to make a career in this field then pursuing a BSc in Home Science right after class 12th result is a perfect choice! Here is a complete blog that discusses everything about BSc Home Science.
This Blog Includes:
- What is BSc Home Science?
- Course Types
- B.Sc. Home Science Syllabus
- Eligibility Criteria
- BSc Home Science Colleges in India
- Popular Courses Abroad
- BSc Home Science Fees
- Career Prospects
- Jobs in Government and Private Sector
- Jobs and Salary
- Future Scope
- BSc Home Science Books
What is BSc Home Science?
BSc Home Science is a 3 to 4-year-long undergraduate degree programme which deals with the study of food nutrition, health, environment, and human development. It further aims to incorporate the knowledge of biological sciences physical and social sciences.
BSc Home Science is for students who are interested in home management, natural sciences, cooking, and many other creative activities about the home This course is designed to inculcate a deeper understanding among students in the field of Home Management and Traditional Culture. If you are confused between BA Home Science vs BSc Home Science, then take a look at the following key differences:
|BA Home Science||BSc Home Science|
|It stands for Bachelor of Arts in Home Science||It stands for Bachelor of Science in Home Science|
|BA in Home Science has the syllabus covered only from and within the arts field.||BSc in Home Science has syllabi covering from science and arts both. Hence both fields play an important role in building the curriculum of BSc Home Science|
|There is no particular lab work or fieldwork for BA in the Home Science program||The course has separate practical classes for topics that come under science.|
Home science BSc programmes are highly sought after in India. Depending on their personal interests and preferences, students can choose from a variety of courses. For the BSc Home Science degree programme, options for full-time and distance learning are available.
B.S. in Home Science- Full-time
Programs for a full-time BSc in home science last about three years. The average cost of a BSc in Home Science course is between 10,000 and 100,000 Indian rupees. Students from underrepresented groups can receive grants for their BSc Home Science tuition from some reputable universities. This BSc Home Science course offers both hands-on experience and classroom instruction.
Chemistry, biology, nutrition, biochemistry, microbiology, communication, and other BSc Home Science subjects are studied at the undergraduate level, according to the BSc Home Science syllabus. Among the best BSc Home Science colleges and universities that offer full-time BSc Home Science degree programmes are Banaras Hindu University (BHU), Lady Irwin College, Institute of Home Economics, and others.
Distance B.Sc Home Science
BSc Home Science distance education is the most rewarding three-year UG degree programme. Six semesters are required to complete the programme. This course’s most notable feature is that it is less expensive than other courses. Second, you can study wherever it is most convenient for you. The third benefit is that you can be more flexible with your schedule.
Admission to the BSc Home Science programme is available in the following ways:
- Admission to the BSc Home Science degree programme is solely on the basis of competency test results.
- A degree list is also compiled by some BSc Home Science colleges based on aptitude tests.
- In addition, candidates must meet the following BSc Home Science eligibility criteria in order to complete the BSc Home Science distance learning course:
- Candidates must have completed the 12th grade or its equivalent at a recognised institution.
- Candidates in class 12 must major in science and choose one elective subject from chemistry, biology, biotechnology, or computer science.
- On the eligibility test, candidates must score at least 50% of the total.
B.Sc. Home Science Syllabus
The course is interdisciplinary in nature and includes the basics of Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Biology as part of the curriculum. Here is a list of subjects that you are likely to study in your entire course duration:
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Human Development||Family Resource Management|
|Introduction to the Foundation of Food and Nutrition||Foundation of Fabric of Apparel Science|
|Computational Skills||Computational Skills|
|Applied Physical Sciences||Dynamics of Human Communication|
|Technical Writing in English||Technical Writing in English|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Human Nutrition||Clothing Construction|
|Home Science Extension Education||Interior Design|
|Fundamentals of Sociology: Social and Culture||Fundamentals of Psychology: Behavioural Processes|
|Applied Life Sciences||Optional paper|
|Semester V||Semester VI|
|Consumer Economics||Advanced Human Development|
|Fashion Designing||Advanced Home Science Extension and Communication|
|Diet Therapy I||Diet Therapy II|
|Home Science Extension Education and Rural Development||Consumer Products Safety and Legislation|
|Fundamental of Human Development||Statistics and Research Methods|
Before setting foot in any college you need to ensure your eligibility first we have enlisted the basic eligibility criteria for BSc Home Science:
- 10+2 or equivalent qualification from a recognized board
- If you want to study BSc Home Science abroad, you will have to submit the following as well:
- Letters of Recommendation (LORs)
- Statement of Purpose (SOP)
- Language proficiency test scores like that of IELTS or TOEFL
BSc Home Science Colleges in India
Here are the most popular BSc Home Science Colleges in India:
|University of Delhi||Delhi|
|Institute of Home Economics||Delhi|
|Banaras Hindu University||Uttar Pradesh|
|Aligarh Muslim University||Uttar Pradesh|
|Babasaheb Bhimrao Ambedkar University||Uttar Pradesh|
|Chaudhary Charan Singh Haryana Agricultural University||Haryana|
|Nalanda Open University||Bihar|
|Mahant Darshan Das Mahila Mahavidyalaya||Bihar|
|Nirmala Niketan College of Home Science||Maharashtra, Mumbai|
|St.Teresa’s College||Kerela, Cochin|
|Orissa University of Agriculture and Technology||Orissa|
|Lovely Professional University||Punjab|
|BFIT Group of Institutions||Uttarakhand, Dehradun|
Popular Courses Abroad
Scores of prestigious universities around the world are offering Bsc in Home science with an aim to impart high-quality education in the core areas BSc Home science is offered at postgraduate (PG), diploma undergraduate and certification levels. Enlisted are some of the top colleges in the world
|Bachelor of Science in Home Furnishings Merchandising||University of North Texas|
|Bachelor of Science in Human Development and Family Studies||Kent State University|
|Bachelor of Education (Secondary) – Home Economics Education||Edith Cowan University|
|BSc in Day Home Provider||NorQuest College|
|Bachelor of Arts in Fashion Merchandising – Home Furnishings||University of Akron|
|BSc in Home-Based Intervention Therapy||University of Akron|
BSc Home Science Fees
The cost of the BSc Home Science course varies by college or institution. A BSc Home Science degree may cost between INR 10,000 and INR 100,000. (annually). The cost of a distance learning BSc Home Science course ranges between INR 15,000 and INR 55,000. Furthermore, each college/university offers a BSc Home Science fee waiver to candidates who fall into one of the reserved category groups or quotas.
After completing your degree in BSc Home Science you can either become a trainer in the same field or take up related jobs. Given below are some popular areas for employment for these graduates:
- Family planning counsellor
- Textile apparel designer
- Textile designing
- Human development
- Resource management
- Food technology
- Family planning
- Food Analyst
- Food Scientist
- Health Care Worker
- Hospital Attendant
- Nutrition Expert
- Research Assistant
- Assistant Dress Designer
- Assistant Fashion Designer
- Baby Care Taker
- Child Care Giver
- Pantry In-charge
Jobs in Government and Private Sector
BSc Home Science graduates can find lucrative opportunities in the public and private sectors. They are recruited in government areas based on their experience. A few of these employment opportunities are listed below:
- Deputy Registrar
- Online Nutrition Expert
- Social Media Analyst
- Junior Stenographer
- Child Development Project Officer
- Family Planning Counsellor
- Medical Officer
- Food Analyst
- Food Scientist
- Hospital Attendant
Jobs and Salary
The pay scale varies according to the person’s experience and also education. The salary range of BSc Home Science graduates is as follows:
- 0-5 years: Rs 80,000 to Rs 2 lakhs per annum
- 5-10 years: Rs 2 lakhs to Rs 4 lakhs per annum
- 10-20 years: Rs 4 lakhs to Rs 8 lakhs per annum
Take a look at the different Home Science careers and their average salaries.
|Job Type||Average Salary (per annum in INR)|
|Human Resource Generalist||3 to 3.5 lakhs|
|Dietitian or Nutritionist||3 to 4 lakhs|
|Customer Care Executive||1 to 1.5 lakhs|
|Assistant Human Resources Manager||5 lakhs|
|ERP Consultant||10 lakhs|
|Account Director||10 lakhs|
|Creative Director||10 lakhs|
A home science honours bachelor’s degree is the first step towards a wide range of future opportunities for candidates. Home science graduates with honours have two options: pursue advanced degrees in various specialisations, or stay in their current positions for two to three years before choosing any career development courses to boost pay and broaden the range of their work.
- You can pursue your higher education via distance learning if you want to start looking for a job as soon as you graduate. IGNOU’s Master of Science in Food and Nutrition is a top-notch option for distance learning.
- If candidates are interested in continuing their education, they can study an M.A. or M.Sc. in home science with specialisations in areas like food and nutrition, food science and nutrition, food science and dietetics, sports nutrition, human development, etc.
- Additionally, you can enrol in Postgraduate Diploma programmes in applied nutrition, dietetics, interior design, and fashion and apparel design.
- A Master’s degree in social work or public health will be very helpful for securing positions such as project heads, state heads, and regional heads, in top-tier NGOs, and humanitarian organisations if you are interested in advancing your career in the community and public health sector.
- An MBA in policymaking or hospitality management would give you a solid foundation to advance your career after gaining experience of approximately 8 to 10 years.
BSc Home Science Books
- Fundamentals of Human Nutrition E-Book: for Students and Practitioners in the Health Sciences, by Catherine Geissler and Hilary Powers
- Mental Health Care for Elderly People, by Ian J. Norman
- Health Behavior Change: A Guide for Practitioners, by Stephen Rollnick
- Elective Course For Bsc. Home Science (Honours), by Dr Sangita Gupta, Dr Mithilesh Verma, Dr Smita Tripathi Dr Neelma Kunwar and Kumari Amisha
- Nutritional Sciences: From Fundamentals to Food, by Michelle McGuire and Kathy A Beerman
- Public Health and Health Promotion: Developing Practice, by Jennie Naidoo
After completing this degree, you can either make a career in the above-mentioned fields or opt for higher education. Here are some popular MS courses that can be pursued after completing this course:
-MS in Nutrition and Food Processing
-MS in Human Development
-MS in Human Development
-MS in Textile
-MS in Plant Psychology and Ecology
BSc Home science is a great career for those who want to understand Home Economics and make career choices like Nutritionist, Dietician, Fashion Designer, etc.
You are likely to study the following subjects in a Home Science degree:
-Communication and Extension
-Life Span Development
-Nutrition for the Family
Hopefully, this blog helped you to acquire all the necessary information regarding the Bsc Home science courses. Want to join a reputed college to pursue your further studies abroad? Get in touch with experts at Leverage Edu who will not only help you to scout the best college for you!