There are a number of different courses that people are taking up now. If you are someone who has a passion, then make sure you work on making that your profession. One such noble profession which is up and rising in demand is Social Work. It takes utter determination as you have to put yourself into adverse conditions and spend your life working towards the betterment of society. If you are aspiring to explore this field of study, you can begin with an entry-level course, i.e. a Bachelors in Social Work or BSW. Through this blog, we aim to bring you all the key essentials of pursuing an undergraduate degree in Social Work, courses offered, universities along with the scope it entails.
|Course Name||Bachelor in Social Work|
|Admission Process||Direct Admission + Entrance Test|
|Average Salary||INR 2 – 6 LPA|
|Job Positions||Social Worker, Social Educator, Project Coordinator|
This Blog Includes:
- About Bachelors in Social Work
- Bachelor of Social Work Course Syllabus
- Skills Required for BSW
- Eligibility Criteria for BSW
- Bachelors in Social Work: Courses & Variants
- Top Universities Offering Bachelors in Social Work Abroad
- Top Universities Offering Bachelors in Social Work in India
- BSW Job Profiles
- BSW Salary
- BSW Scope
About Bachelors in Social Work
Social work is an all-encompassing field that aims to address a multitude of issues faced by society at large. Be it child protection, education or social and public policy development, Social Workers aim to assist communities facing different kinds of problems. They deal with day-to-day issues as well as highly complicated situations and try to find probable solutions. Amongst the most meaningful yet highly responsible professions, opting for a career in Social Work is not everyone’s cup of tea. Yet, if you are someone who is interested in this field, make sure you work towards making a difference.
Explore the Scope of Sociology as a Career With Us!
Bachelor of Social Work Course Syllabus
The course curriculum of a Bachelors in Social Work imparts students with the knowledge of intricacies of social welfare as well as solving different kinds of social problems. As an undergraduate program, it comprises the study of human behaviour, research methods, social welfare policies through practical training and theoretical principles. The meticulously designed syllabus of this course aims to provide students with an insight into how social policies are formed and how they impact the concerned communities.
Take a look at the following table which illustrates the sample syllabus of the Bachelors in Social Work program:
|English-1||Introduction to Social Work|
|Social Science Foundation for Social Work: Sociology||Communication in Modern Indian Languages|
|Human Growth and Behaviour||English-2|
|Work with Individuals and Families||Work with Groups|
|Social Science Foundation for Social Work: Contemporary Development Studies||Field Work (practical component related to core subjects)|
|Gender Studies||Community Organisation|
|Social Policy||Computer Applications|
|Research Methods||Social Work Administration|
|Social Work Theories and Practice||Life Skills|
|Development and Communication||Health and Nutrition/ Child and Youth Studies (Elective)|
|Social Exclusion and Inclusion / Global and Indian Social Movements (Elective)||Work with older adults / Social Entrepreneurship (General Elective)|
|Academic Writing||Human Rights / Education and Development (Elective)|
|Rural and Urban Studies / Informal Labour and Informal Sector (Elective)||Disability / Basic Counselling Skills (General Elective)|
Skills Required for BSW
Aspirants who undertake the Bachelor in Social Work course must possess the following skills:
|Good communication skills||Emotional intelligence|
|Critical thinking||Ability to coordinate|
|Self-awareness||Ability to set boundaries|
Eligibility Criteria for BSW
As a Bachelors in Social Work is an undergraduate degree, the essential prerequisites are quite simple to fulfil but might differ from one university to another.
- To begin with, the candidate is required to have completed the formal schooling of 10+2 from a recognized institution and board.
- Moreover, in order to attain overseas education for this course, students will have to clear any of the English language proficiency exams like IELTS, TOEFL etc.
- Along with this, some universities might also ask applicants to qualify for the SAT exam or ACT exam.
- Further, students are advised to have a well-written Letter of Recommendation (LOR) and Statement of Purpose (SOP).
To secure a Bachelor’s degree in Social Work, there are a variety of programs offered at a multitude of universities. Here is a list of some of the major programs as well as variants of Bachelors in Social Work that you can choose from:
- BA in Human Development and Family Studies
- BA in Social Relations and Policy Major
- BA in Social Work
- BA Hons Health and Social Science
- BSc (Hons) Social Work
- Bachelor of Social Research and Policy
- Bachelor of Counselling- Professional Youth Work
- Bachelor of Social Science Major in Human Work
- Bachelor of Social Science Major in Children and Family
Also Read the blog: MPhil in Social Work
Around the world, there are many prestigious universities that provide a variety of specializations under a Bachelors in Social Work. But choosing the right academic institution holds equal importance to finding the right course. To help you further in your research, here is a list of some of the major universities across the globe that are renowned for their prospective undergraduate courses in Social Work and its related fields:
- University of Georgia
- North Carolina State University
- University of Wisconsin– Madison
- The University of Texas at Austin
- University of Washington
- The Ohio State University
- New York University
- Appalachian State University
- Michigan State University
- Rutgers University
- James Madison University
- Syracuse University
- Briar Cliff University
Top Universities Offering Bachelors in Social Work in India
Following are some of the top universities in India which offer the Bachelors in Social Work course:
- Jamia Milia Islamia
- Amity University, Noida
- NIMS University
- Shyam University
- Sree Sastha Group of Institutions
BSW Job Profiles
- Social Worker: The job profile entails providing appropriate resources, advice and support to people who are facing issues in their lives. These issues could be professional or personal in nature. Social workers assist individuals in coping with these problems.
- Social Educator: A social educator works to plan and organise events that are related to social issues. They are also responsible for conducting committee meetings with other social departments.
- Project Coordinator: Such a job can be gained in an NGO. Project coordinators assist companies in planning, budgeting and monitoring the projects which the NGO is handling. They are responsible for getting in touch with volunteers as well.
The salary of a graduate with a BSW degree varies for different job profiles. However, the average salary of a BSW graduate in India is INR 2-6 Lakh. Those with a higher level of qualification in Social Work can earn up to INR 8 Lakh per annum.
After completing the Bachelors in Social Work, the following are a few courses which can be taken up:
- Msc Organising Social Impact
- M.A. Social Work
- MSc Social Policy
- Postgraduate Diploma Social Work
- Postgraduate Certificate in Social & Community Leadership
- MSc Sociology- Contemporary Social Problems
- Master Social & Community Leadership
- M.Res. Social Work
- M.Res. Social Research
Thinking What To Do After Bachelors in Social Work? Check Out Masters in Social Work.
BSW is Bachelor in Social Work, undergraduate course offered to prepare students about social welfare as well as solving different kinds of social problems
Bachelor in Social Work is an undergraduate degree program offered for 3-4 years.
Jamia Milia Islamia, Amity University, Noida, NIMS University, Shyam University and Sree Sastha Group of Institutions are some of the best universities for Bachelor in Social Work in India.
Thus, we hope this has helped you understand what a bachelors in Social Work comprise. If you are planning to study a degree in Social Work or any related field, take the help of Leverage Edu’s AI-based tool to browse through a vast range of courses and universities and find a suitable combination that aligns with your interests and aspirations and equips you with the necessary skill set to establish your career in this domain.