Are you interested in knowing about the past and how it connects to our contemporary world? Do you wish to turn your love for History into a career? History is a subject that is filled with the intriguing stories of Ancient India, Freedom Struggles, Indian National Movement, Nelson Mandela’s efforts to end Apartheid, causes of the French Revolution, Hilter’s thinking, Nazi ideology, History of Indian Art, and much more. Amongst many, BA History is one such course that allows you to tour an incredibly heterogeneous range of historical events and their accurate backdrop. Let’s discover the field of history and the career prospects that it has to offer.
|Course Name||BA History|
|Full-Form||Bachelor of Arts in History|
|Level of Course||Undergraduate (UG)|
|Eligibility||10+2 qualified students with at least 50% aggregate marks|
|Admission Process||Merit + Entrance based|
|Examination Type||Semester Exams|
|Average Course Fee||INR 15,000 to INR 3 lakhs in India (and more if planning to pursue the course abroad)|
|Starting Average Salary||INR 3 – 7 lakhs per annum|
Also, check out our blog on What Can You Do With a History Degree?
This Blog Includes:
- What is BA History?
- Why Pursue BA History?
- Basic Fields of Study in BA History
- Eligibility Criteria
- Subjects in BA History
- BA History Syllabus
- Top Entrance Exams
- Admission Process
- Top Universities Abroad for BA History
- Top Colleges in India
- Distance Education
- Scope of BA History
- Job Opportunities after BA History
- Salary Trends after BA History
What is BA History?
BA History or Bachelor of Arts in History is an undergraduate course to study the evolution of human civilization from prehistory to the present times. This 3 to 4-year degree offers detailed research of major historical events that took place within a country and across the world.
Why Pursue BA History?
- Your existence is what makes you connected to your past. History helps you understand how the society we live in came to existence.
- How is the Indian culture different from the West? It opens the gate for you to perceive various cultures around you.
- As a student of BA History, you will come to know about how nations developed, about heroes of the past, and much more.
- History is the study of transformation wherein you’ll understand the mechanism driving change and its significance in the present time.
Basic Fields of Study in BA History
You will get to understand and learn various aspects of national and world history through the BA History program. However, since History is an umbrella term for vast domains and areas of study, the syllabus can vary from one country to another.
- You must have qualified 10+2 or equivalent with Arts stream subjects from a recognized board.
- You are required to clear examinations like SAT or ACT if you want to study abroad, particularly, in the USA and Canada.
- You also need to secure a good score in English proficiency tests like TOEFL, IELTS, PTE to enroll in a BA History course.
- Some universities may also require proficiency in their official language in order to study in that particular country.
Subjects in BA History
When it comes to the subjects taught in this program, it is important to note that the curriculum will vary from one country to another. For instance, in India, the focus will be mainly on Indian history along with the major political and socio-economic developments that took place across the world. However, this will be different when you will study abroad. Not only will you get to learn about the history of the country you will study in but will also gain knowledge on the History of Asia, Africa, Europe, etc. So, here are the common subjects which will be covered in the BA History course:
- Ancient Indian History
- Medieval India
- Transformation from Modern to Present India
- Ancient World History
- Political Theory
- Pre and Post Colonisation
- USA and USSR History
- European Integration and Transformation
- History of Latin America
- African History
- World Politics
Note: This is a generalised list. The subjects as well as the BA History syllabus will vary from one country and university to another.
BA History Syllabus
The list of subjects that are taught in BA in History courses are tabulated below:
|History of India (from Ancient up to 600 AD)||Religious Development
Aspects of Society
Age of the Guptas
Mauryan and Post Mauryan Era
Vedic Corpus and Transition to Janapadas and Mahajanapadas
Pre – Historic Hunter-Gatherers
Reconstructing Ancient Indian History
|History of India (from 600 AD to 1500 AD)||Institutional Structure (Varna System)
Cave Architecture Polity
Sanskrit Literature Temple
Indian & Oceanic Trade
Ghaznavi & Ghori’s Invasion of India
The Emergence of Major Political Centres – Peninsular India Arab, Bengal and Kannauj
|History of India (1500 AD to 1800 AD)||Society, Religion and Culture in Mughal India
The Mughal Empire
Economy In Mughal India
Crisis of the Mughal EmpireIdeology and State in Mughal India
|History of India (1800 AD to Modern times)||Partition of India
Post War Upsurges
Pre-War Political Developments
New Trends in National Movements
The Gandhian Era
Colonial Intervention and Growth of Modern Education
Revolt of 1857
Early Resistance to Colonial Rule
Rural Economy & Society
Socio-Religious Movements in India
East India Company – Theory of Rent
|Ancient World History
||Political, Sociological and Cultural History of Rome
Political History of Greece
Major Centres of Ancient Mediterranean World – Persia Egypt and Mesopotamia
Polis in Ancient Greece
Slave Society in Ancient Greece
Nomadic groups in Ancient and Central Asia
Bronze Age Civilization
Paleolithic & Mesolithic Cultures
|Transformation of Europe||English Civil war of the 17th Century
Europe Scientific Revolution
Renaissance Humanism Economy of 17th Century
Proto Industrialization Renaissance
Economic Expansion of Europe in the 16th Century
The economy in the 15th Century
Development of the National Monarchy
Fall of Constantinople
Economic Crisis of the 14th Century
Crisis of Feudalism
Nature of Feudal Society
|European History||Anglo – German Antagonism
Age of Imperialism
The Third Republic, German Reich and Paris Commune
Rise of Working Class Movement and Socialist through Arts and Culture, Religion and Science of 18th Century Europe
Industrialization of Europe
France Under the IInd Empire
Unification of Italy and Germany
The Emergence of Non-Nation States in Central Europe
The Vienna Congress
French Revolution of Napoleon Bonaparte
Understanding the 18th Century Europe, Social Economic and Political Background to French Revolution
|World Politics||Truman Doctrine
United Nations Organization
US Foreign Policy
The Great Depression
Reunification of Germany
The League of Nations
|History of East Asia||The emergence of Japan as an Imperial Power
Popular and Democratic Movements
Japan – Pre-Restoration Period
Nationalism and Communism in China
Colonial Penetration in China
China and Pre Colonial China
|History of the United States of America||Making of the Republic
Religious, Cultural and Intellectual Trends
Civil War and Industrial America
Evolution of American Democracy
|History of Latin America||Economic Transformations
Assertion of the US Hegemony Bolivar’s Vision
Conquest of America and its Repercussions
Top Entrance Exams
Some colleges and universities give admission to students to their BA History course based on their performance in the entrance examination. They are mentioned below:
- JNUEE 2022: The JNUEE is conducted by the Jawaharlal Nehru University for various undergraduate and postgraduate programs.
- IPU CET 2022: The Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University conducts the exam IPU CET. This exam is conducted online. It is a university level entrance examination.
- DSAT 2022: The DSAT or the Dayananda Sagar Admission Test is conducted by the Dayananda Sagar University.
The admission process for the course BA History begins after the declaration of Class 12th examination results. The entire process is mentioned below:
- All aspiring candidates are supposed to fill up the application forms released by different colleges and universities.
- After the application process is over, colleges let out their cut off marks or percentages for all aspiring students seeking admission in BA History.
- If your class 12th marks are the same as the desired cut off or in the same bracket, you will be granted admission.
- Certain universities and colleges conduct an entrance examination for which all candidates have to register themselves. Candidates are given admission to the course on the basis of their performance in the entrance exam.
Check out Best Books on Indian History
Top Universities Abroad for BA History
Apart from academic institutions like Harvard University, University of Chicago, LSE, Yale University, University of Cambridge, etc, which have etched their name in global rankings, here is a list of some of the top universities offering BA History and various specializations.
|Michigan State University||USA||BA Global History|
|University of Toronto||Canada||BA [Hons] History|
|University of New South Wales||Australia||Bachelor of Arts and Business in History|
|Humboldt University of Berlin||Germany||BA Historical Sciences|
|Trinity College Dublin||UK||BA in Classical CivilisationBA in Classics, Ancient History, and Archaeology|
|Australian National University||Australia||BA Ancient History|
|University of Bristol||UK||BA [Hons] Ancient History|
|University of California, Los Angeles||USA||BA History|
|National University of Singapore||Singapore||BA/BA [Hons] History|
|Johns Hopkins University||USA||BA-MA Accelerated Program|
Top Colleges in India
Various colleges in India offer BA History. They are tabulated below.
|Name Of The College/ University||Admission Procedure||Average Annual Fees (In INR)|
|St. Xaviers College, Mumbai||Merit-Based||INR 5,537|
|Nizam College, Hyderabad||Merit-Based||INR 4,600|
|Madras Christian College, Chennai||Merit-Based||INR 7,500|
|Jai Hind College, Mumbai||Merit-Based||INR 5,635|
|Lady Brabourne College, Kolkata||Merit-Based||INR 8,325|
|Fergusson College, Pune||Merit-Based||INR 9,245|
|Hansraj College, New Delhi||Merit-Based||INR 18,895|
|Christ University, Bangalore||Merit-Based||INR 25,000|
|Kristu Jayanti College, Bangalore||Merit-Based||INR 53,000|
BA History Colleges in Delhi
- Lady Shri Ram College for Women
- Miranda House
- St. Stephens College
- Hansraj College
- Vivekananda College
BA History Colleges in Mumbai
- Sophia College for Women
- SK Somaiya Degree College for Arts Commerce and Science
- St Xaviers College
- Jaihind College
- Ramnarain Ruia Autonomous College
BA History Colleges in Pune
- Fergusson College
- St. Mira’s College for Girls
- Symbiosis College of Arts and Commerce
- Abeda Inamdar Senior College
- Poona College of Arts Science and Commerce
BA History Colleges in Kolkata
- Presidency University
- St Xavier’s College
- Jadavpur University
- Bethune College
- Loreto College
BA History Colleges in Bangalore
- Christ University
- Kristu Jayanti College
- Universal Group of Institutions
- Jyoti Nivas College
- MES College of Arts Commerce and Science
Certain universities provide the course BA History to students who cannot get admission in regular courses. They are tabulated below.
|Name Of University||Location||Average Fees|
|Osmania University||Hyderabad||INR 10,200|
|Annamalai University||Annamalai||INR 7,350|
|IGNOU||New Delhi||INR 7,200|
|Tamil Nadu Open University||Chennai||INR 6,600|
|The University Of Mumbai, Institute Of Distance And Open Learning||Mumbai||INR 10,835|
Scope of BA History
History is a wide subject that takes you on a journey of mankind and develops your insight into the future of civilization. If you are someone who gets curious about figuring out the larger picture of how the world has evolved, you can further pursue a master’s degree in history and research in their chosen specialization. Some of the study programs to gain advanced knowledge in this field are:
- Master of Arts or MA History
- Master in History (Global History and International Relations)
- Master of Philosophy or M.Phil in History
- Doctor of Philosophy in History or Ph.D. in History
- Diploma in History
- Diploma in Archaeology
- Diploma in Epigraphy
- Diploma in Museology
- Diploma in Museum Administration, Museum Modeling
- Postgraduate Diploma in Archaeology, Ancient Culture, and History
- Postgraduate Diploma in Archaeology, Museology
- Postgraduate Diploma in Archives Keeping
Understand the History of English Literature
Job Opportunities after BA History
History consists of the study of cultures and societies of the past. It is quite interesting to know that studying this subject opens up fantastic job avenues. Below is a list of job opportunities that you can explore as a BA History graduate.
- Museum Curator
- History Expert
- Teacher or Professor
- Civil Service
- Social Worker
- Executive or Associate in KPOs
- Travel and Tourism Expert
- Public Relations Officer
- Records Manager
Salary Trends after BA History
Some of the job profiles, along with their recent average base salaries are included below to give you a better idea of the profession’s future prospects:
|Job Profile||Average Base Salary in INR|
|Archaeologists||3.5 lakhs to 4.8 lakhs|
|Historians||6 lakhs to 8 lakhs|
|Teachers||3.8 lakhs to 6.2 lakhs|
|Auctioneers||5 lakhs to 7 lakhs|
|Archivist||5.5 lakhs to 8 lakhs|
Yes, among Arts/Humanities students, the BA History degree is quite popular. This curriculum is not only available to Arts students; it is also available to Science Stream students.
After completing a BA in History, you can work as an archaeologist, teacher, or tutor, or continue your education by enrolling in an MA in History programme.
The duration of the BA History program is 3 years.
Yes, a BA in History is worthwhile. After completing a BA History programme, you can pursue a variety of career paths, including higher education (MA, MBA, etc.) and careers in the public and private sectors.
Studying History alters the way individuals view the world around them. If you are someone who has a strong desire to study history and is willing to develop a set of skills in a challenging but supportive environment, a degree in BA History is the right way to kickstart your career. The mentors and experts at Leverage Edu can help you choose a university that will resonate with your passion for history.