Are you interested in knowing about the past and how it connects to our contemporary world? Do you wish to turn your love for History into a career? History is a subject that is filled with the intriguing stories of Ancient India, Freedom Struggles, Indian National Movement, Nelson Mandela’s efforts to end Apartheid, causes of the French Revolution, Hilter’s thinking, Nazi ideology, History of Indian Art, and much more. Amongst many, BA History is one such course that allows you to tour an incredibly heterogeneous range of historical events and their accurate backdrop. Let’s discover the field of history and the career prospects that it has to offer.
This Blog Includes:
What is BA History?
BA History or Bachelor of Arts in History is an undergraduate course to study the evolution of human civilization from prehistory to the present times. This 3 to 4-year degree offers detailed research of major historical events that took place within a country and across the world.
Why Pursue BA History?
- Your existence is what makes you connected to your past. History helps you understand how the society we live in came to existence.
- How is the Indian culture different from the West? It opens the gate for you to perceive various cultures around you.
- As a student of BA History, you will come to know about how nations developed, about heroes of the past, and much more.
- History is the study of transformation wherein you’ll understand the mechanism driving change and its significance in the present time.
BA History: Basic Fields of Study
You will get to understand and learn various aspects of national and world history through the BA History program. However, since History is an umbrella term for vast domains and areas of study, the syllabus can vary from one country to another.
Subjects in BA History
When it comes to the subjects taught in this program, it is important to note that the curriculum will vary from one country to another. For instance, in India, the focus will be mainly on Indian history along with the major political and socio-economic developments that took place across the world. However, this will be different when you will study abroad. Not only will you get to learn about the history of the country you will study in but will also gain knowledge on the History of Asia, Africa, Europe, etc. So, here are the common subjects which will be covered in the BA History course:
- Ancient Indian History
- Medieval India
- Transformation from Modern to Present India
- Ancient World History
- Political Theory
- Pre and Post Colonisation
- USA and USSR History
- European Integration and Transformation
- History of Latin America
- African History
- World Politics
Note: This is a generalised list. The subjects as well as the BA History syllabus will vary from one country and university to another.
BA History: Top Universities
Apart from academic institutions like Harvard University, University of Chicago, LSE, Yale University, University of Cambridge, etc, which have etched their name in global rankings, here is a list of some of the top universities offering BA History and various specializations.
|Michigan State University||BA Global History|
|University of Toronto||BA [Hons] History|
|University of New South Wales||Bachelor of Arts and Business in History|
|Humboldt University of Berlin||BA Historical Sciences|
|Trinity College Dublin||BA in Classical Civilisation|
BA in Classics, Ancient History, and Archaeology
|Australian National University||BA Ancient History|
|University of Bristol||BA [Hons] Ancient History|
|University of California, Los Angeles||BA History|
|National University of Singapore||BA/BA [Hons] History|
|Johns Hopkins University||BA-MA Accelerated Program|
- You must have qualified 10+2 or equivalent with Arts stream subjects from a recognized board.
- You are required to clear examinations like SAT or ACT if you want to study abroad, particularly, in the USA and Canada.
- You also need to secure a good score in English proficiency tests like TOEFL, IELTS, PTE to enroll in a BA History course.
- Some universities may also require proficiency in their official language in order to study in that particular country.
History is a wide subject that takes you on a journey of mankind and develops your insight into the future of civilization. If you are someone who gets curious about figuring out the larger picture of how the world has evolved, you can further pursue a master’s degree in history and research in their chosen specialization. Some of the study programs to gain advanced knowledge in this field are:
- Master of Arts or MA History
- Master in History (Global History and International Relations)
- Master of Philosophy or M.Phil in History
- Doctor of Philosophy in History or Ph.D. in History
- Diploma in History
- Diploma in Archaeology
- Diploma in Epigraphy
- Diploma in Museology
- Diploma in Museum Administration, Museum Modeling
- Postgraduate Diploma in Archaeology, Ancient Culture, and History
- Postgraduate Diploma in Archaeology, Museology
- Postgraduate Diploma in Archives Keeping
BA History: Job Opportunities
History consists of the study of cultures and societies of the past. It is quite interesting to know that studying this subject opens up fantastic job avenues. Below is a list of job opportunities that you can explore as a BA History graduate.
- Museum Curator
- History Expert
- Teacher or Professor
- Civil Service
- Social Worker
- Executive or Associate in KPOs
- Travel and Tourism Expert
- Public Relations Officer
- Records Manager
Studying History alters the way individuals view the world around them. If you are someone who has a strong desire to study history and is willing to develop a set of skills in a challenging but supportive environment, a degree in BA History is the right way to kickstart your career. The mentors and experts at Leverage Edu can help you choose a university that will resonate with your passion for history.