BA Criminology: Are you the one who loves a good murder mystery more than anything else? Do you feel like making a career out of this genre while watching Sherlock Holmes, Da Vinci Code, or Money Heist, then here we are, with an exciting career path for you. A bachelor’s in Criminology is the study of analysing criminals and their psyche, behaviour patterns and upbringing. It is a career that helps understand different crimes and aims to prevent them in the future.
Want to explore the underbelly of criminal minds through the best criminology courses? Then here’s everything you need to know about BA Criminology abroad!
|Name of the Course||BA Criminology|
|Examination Type||Semester/ Annual|
|Eligibility Criteria||The candidate must have passed 10+2 or equivalent in arts and science with a minimum of 50% marks.|
|Admission Fees||INR 10,000 to 10 lakh per annum|
|Average Salary||INR 2 lakh to 12 lakh per annum|
|Career options||Social worker, legal counsellor, private detective, crime investigator, forensic specialist, crime scene analyst, police officer, etc.|
This Blog Includes:
- Why Pursue a BA in Criminology?
- Eligibility Criteria for BA Criminology
- Application Process for BA Criminology
- Skills Required as a Criminologist
- Entrance Exams for BA Criminology
- Syllabus for BA Criminology
- Career Scope after BA Criminology
Why Pursue a BA in Criminology?
- BA Criminology is about understanding the social environment and biological impact of criminology in different societies. It studies various mysteries that are not just nerve-wracking to unbound, but also a challenging task to oneself. It holds secrets that only a sharp yet rational mind can uncover.
- This course not only challenges one’s own dilemma of thought process but also challenges you to raise doubt wherever you go. Criminology is an academic course that only a candidate with an interest in the field can survive and enjoy at the same time.
- This course not only makes you go overboard to conclude an investigation, but to make the process a learning one. One also gets an insight into the inside administration of criminal justice systems and also gives you an opportunity to explore and come up with additional ideas that could improve the quality of the same.
- It’s a job-oriented course that can lead you to various fields that serve your interests.
Also Read: How to Become a Penologist?
Eligibility Criteria for BA Criminology
- The candidates who have passed 10+2 in any of the streams (arts/humanities, science) or equivalent with a minimum aggregate percentage of 50-55 marks in the same can pursue this academic course.
- You may be required to submit English proficiency test scores like IELTS, TOEFL, and PTE to provide proof of language proficiency.
- Depending on the university and department criteria, students are required to appear for an interview round.
- In the case of some universities, students may have to submit SAT and ACT scores for admissions.
Also Read: 100 Psychology Facts You Must Know!
Application Process for BA Criminology
The application process for BA Criminology is given below:
- Registration: The registration date is announced in advance by the colleges each year. Registration for the shortlisted university will be done online, and a profile will be created.
- Filling out the application form: After creating a profile, log in and begin the application process. Fill out the application form with previous educational achievements, job experience, internships, projects completed, and so on.
- Documents such as mark sheets, photographs, signatures, and transfer certificates must be scanned and uploaded to the site online. To be accepted, all papers must be in a specified format and size.
- Application fee: An application fee must be paid in order for the application to be processed. Online payment solutions are available for use.
- Admission: Colleges may take weeks to reply. Then you’ll receive your offer letter, post which you can pay the course fee and secure your seat.
Skills Required as a Criminologist
There are certain skills that one might require in pursuing this undergraduate course. The required skills are:
- Excellent Research skills
- Negotiation skills
- Logical Reasoning ability
- Strong Analytical Reasoning ability
- Knowledge of criminal laws
- Integrity and ethical behaviour
- Strong communication skills
- Sharp eye for minor details
- High understanding of human behaviour and psychology
Also Read: Educational Psychology
Entrance Exams for BA Criminology
Here’s another good news for the students wanting to enrol themselves in this course. The admissions to this course is solely based on merit in India. One has to maintain a good academic record during their schooling so that one meets the criteria of the merit list. Entrance exams like IELTS, TOEFL, PTE and SAT/ACT are required to pursue BA Criminology abroad.
Colleges Abroad for BA Criminology
If you want to have a kick-start academic career in criminology, you can consider studying abroad. This will not only give you a wide perspective on the surrounding course, but you will also be able to explore the world at the same time. Foreign universities offer a wide range of opportunities for foreign students. It’s an extraordinary way to enhance your overall personality. On the other hand, it’s a gateway to meet new people, explore new places and fathom the unfathomable. So, here are the universities that offer BA criminology:
|Universities||QS Ranking 2024||Fees|
|California Lutheran University||–||INR 156.31 L/yr|
|University of Manchester||32||INR 60.45 L/yr|
|Australian National University||=34||INR 67.81 L/yr|
|Western Illinois University||–||INR 10.53 L/yr|
|The University of New South Wales||=19||INR 21.54 L/yr|
|University of Bristol||55||INR 63.77 L/yr|
|Acadia University||–||INR 12.34 L/yr|
|The University of Queensland Australia||43||INR 59.88 L/yr|
|Eastern Illinois University||–||INR 7.32 L/yr|
|Monash University||42||INR 20.25 L/yr|
Colleges in India for BA Criminology
Are you stuck on sorting the clusters of mind and regarding colleges for yourself? When it comes to deciding on a college, a lot of factors come into consideration. Well, we have listed some colleges in India that offer courses in BA criminology. These colleges are:
|College||Average Annual Fees|
|St. Thomas College, Thrissur||INR 2,020|
|Bangalore University, Bangalore||INR 1,857|
|Karunya Institute of Technology and Sciences, Coimbatore||INR 95,750|
|Dr. Harisingh Gour University, Madhya Pradesh||INR 4,300|
|St. Philomena’s College, Karnataka||INR 34,858|
|SBRR Mahajana First Grade College, Karnataka||INR 56,400|
|Vani Sakkare Government First Grade College, Karnataka||INR 2,527|
|Acharya Institute of Graduate Studies, Karnataka||INR 1,09,175|
Syllabus for BA Criminology
The syllabus of this course is vast and very well documented. It is further divided into various categories under different semesters. It’s an amalgamation of various subjects. These are:
- Comprehending Criminology
- Contemporary Issues in Crime and Justice
- Criminal Law and Justice
- Introducing Criminological Research
- Representations of Deviance and Social Control
- Situating Crime
- Skills for Criminologists
- Analysing Crime Data
- Criminology Research Project
- Punishment and Penal Policy
- Responding to Crime
- Advanced Criminal Law and Justice
- Criminal Process
- Criminology and War
- Drugs, Crime and Control
- Gender, Crime and Criminal Justice
- Police and Policing in a Global Context
- Restorative Justice
- Sexual Offending and Sex Offenders
- The Rehabilitation of Offenders
- Youth Crime and Justice
- Dissertation/Project Work (Optional)
Must Read: Forensic Science Courses After 12th
Career Scope after BA Criminology
BA Criminology graduates can pursue a variety of employment in both the private and public sectors.
Graduates are encouraged to work on internships or part-time employment while studying so that when they graduate, they will have the necessary work experience for particular fields.
There are numerous job options in this industry for pupils. BA Criminology abroad graduates are employed in a variety of industries, including investigation agencies, non-governmental organisations (NGOs), forensic departments, police departments, prisons, and hospitals.
An education in BA Criminology abroad presents you with these. It proposes a diverse range of options in several domains that hire candidates sharing the same background in education and work ethics. The options are:
- Probation officer
- Police officer
- Crime scene analyst
- Social worker
- Investigation officer
- Forensic analyst
Also Read: Types of Criminology Jobs
Ans. The course duration of BA Criminology is 3 years to 4 years.
Ans. Yes, there are some universities that offer the course as a distance programme for students.
Ans. The candidates who have passed 10+2 in any of the streams (arts/humanities, science) or equivalent with a minimum aggregate percentage of 50-55 marks in the same can pursue this academic course.
You may be required to submit English proficiency test scores like IELTS, TOEFL, and PTE to provide proof of language proficiency.
Ans. The average fees for BA criminology can range from anywhere between 2 to 10 lakhs per semester. It depends on the university and country of choice.
Planning to pursue a BA in Criminology from the top world universities? Then sign up for a free session with our study abroad experts on 1800 572 000 and be an early bird applicant!