Being an Architecture student, you are supposed to submit a dissertation or thesis based on topics related to Architecture. It takes a lot more time to complete a dissertation research project than a thesis. However, choosing a relevant dissertation topic is the first step you take for getting a PhD or Master’s Degree. This blog provides you with general guidance about how to write an architecture dissertation and helpful tips to choose the right architecture thesis topics.
This Blog Includes:
- What is an Architecture Thesis?
- How to structure an Architecture Thesis?
- How to choose the right Architecture Thesis Topic ?
- How to choose the best title for your Architecture Thesis?
- How to choose the best topic for an Architecture Thesis?
- Best Architecture Thesis Topics
What is an Architecture Thesis?
An Architecture Dissertation or Thesis is an academic piece of writing that is supposed to signify the knowledge and skills you have learned so far during the course of your architecture studies. While writing a dissertation your research must be precise and you should be logical with your conclusions. A clear analysis must be depicted while writing an architecture dissertation.
How to structure an Architecture Thesis?
Before searching for an architecture thesis topic, you must be familiar with the writing structure of a dissertation. Here we’ve mentioned a basic structure of a dissertation so that it gets easy for you when drafting a dissertation:
- Title – The title of your Architecture Dissertation must focus on your research objective.
- Abstract – The abstract part must be impactful. It must give an impression of what your dissertation is going to include.
- Introduction – Same is the case here with the introduction, it must reflect what the dissertation is going to include.
- Review of Literature – The Review of Literature Section must include a theoretical rationale of the problem, the importance of the study, and information for the dissertation that was gathered and used to form the arguments and points made in the work.
- 2-3 Main chapters- These sections must include a bulk of information on the chosen topic. It should also include the data and diagrams if any.
- Conclusion- The main objective of the dissertation, the conclusion must include the arguments to complete the impression of the work.
- Bibliography – The bibliography is the section of the thesis where you mention all the referred sources, authors, and publications that you have taken information from while writing your thesis.
Also Read: Masters in Architecture in Canada
How to choose the right Architecture Thesis Topic ?
If you are finding it hard to choose the right topic for your dissertation, here are some tips that might help what you can put your focus on while drafting your dissertation:
Select a relevant topic for your architecture dissertation as it contributes a lot to your career and future. To obtain a masters degree in education, you need to find relevant topics for a dissertation. The topic must be capable of providing you with a significant amount of content for your architecture dissertation.
An Architecture dissertation must be broad enough to explore the whole topic. The dissertation must include a clear structure to contribute to the argumentation you are going to include in your dissertation.
Pay attention to Research Questions
Pay equal attention to the Research Questions you are going to include. Do not ever select narrow questions which are supposed to be answered with a Yes or No. Choose questions that provide you with relevant answers such as
- How do creative designs impact the modern era?
- What do you think about modern architecture?
Don’t be shy, go for advice
Architecture students who are writing a dissertation are always provided with guidance. Supervisors are assigned to guide students throughout the duration of their architecture dissertation. So do not forget to ask for feedback or a piece of advice from your supervisors as they have years of academic experience, so their recommendation and feedback will only add to your research.
Research a lot
Before choosing an architecture topic, make sure you research thoroughly about the chosen topic. Try to select topics that are relevant in today’s time. The content provided by the topic must be more than enough to expand and support your arguments.
Also Read: How to become an Architect?
How to choose the best title for your Architecture Thesis?
A significant title is very important while writing an architecture dissertation. So you must be extremely careful while choosing a title. Ensure that your title for architecture dissertation or thesis does justice to your research. The title itself should be able to reflect the objective of your dissertation through the title.
Also Read: How to write a Dissertation?
How to choose the best topic for an Architecture Thesis?
Here we’ve mentioned some sources from where you can come up with a Dissertation Topic in Architecture:
- Study the most recent published piece of work to find out what kind of issues are open for further exploration and are sufficient to provide you with relevant argumentations.
- Check out Architecture Dissertation examples done by other scholars.
Best Architecture Thesis Topics
Choosing a topic can take a lot of time but we’ve made it easier for you as here we’ve mentioned some of the best topics you can choose for your Architecture Dissertation:
- What is the nature of middle-class architecture in modern society?
- Show the best elements of famous architects without duplicating their work.
- What is the need for closeness and privacy between architecture and family
- Cathedrals: Forming the old world on a new budget
- What is the difference between house designs in a cold climate and in a warm climate?
Also Read: How to become an Interior Designer?
Modern Architecture Thesis Topics
- Multicultural Architecture in the Urban Landscape
- Trends of Environmental Technology in Residential Structures
- Evaluating Design in Municipal Structures
- Creative Designs in the Modern Era
- Maximizing Resources and Space with Accessibility
- How to maximize resources and space with Accessibility
- How to use Minimalist Design in Small Areas
- Which methods to use to Mitigate Damage from Natural Disaster
- What are the must-have features of Portable Housing Units
- Procedures of Pre-fabricated Design
Also Read: Finance, MBA, Accounting Dissertation Topics
Thesis topics in Landscape Architecture
- The urban energy landscape in the regional planning
- Processing of data on water, energy, and food flows in space and time
- Composing four-dimensional maps that show current spatial and temporal dynamics of water, energy and food flows
- Constructing Zen
- Farmland Preservation
- Land Conservancy
- Therapeutic Gardens
- Self-sufficient energy islands across Europe or Asia
- India – Protection/production of freshwater through for example infiltration and retention
- Landscape Construction Performance Approaches
Interior architecture thesis topics
- Paper Space & Interior Fiction: Employing Speculative Design to Explore the Creative Design Process and Conceptual Interiority
- Implementing Biophilic Attributes in Elementary Schools
- Re-Mobile Home: An Exploration of Mobile Homes in Rural North Carolina
- Designing Deeper: Creating Interior Spaces That Support Well Being through Explorations in Process Driven Design
- How can exhibition spaces reflect design compatibility with spatial aesthetics?
B.Arch. Thesis Topics for Urban Planning and Transport:
- Airports Design.
- Train stations.
- Urban transport planning.
- Mass Rapid Transit System (MTRS) Study and Station.
- Integrated Transportation Node.
- Bus Terminal Cum Commercial Complex.
- International Cruise terminal.
- Redevelopment around metro and MRTS Corridor.
- Architecture in motion.
Sustainable Architecture Thesis Topics
- Urban park
- Neighborhood development
- Community garden concepts
- Waste recycling facilities
- Heritage building restoration
- Rehabilitation housing
- Riverfront development
- SMART village
- Net-Zero energy building
- Bermed structure
- Regenerative design
- Urban Agriculture center
- Revitalizing abandoned mills and processing buildings
- Eco-tourism facilities
- Revival of an old building
- Repurpose of a building
- Redevelopment of a slum
- Vertical farm
- Wetland restoration
An architecture dissertation for a masters degree must not exceed the 60,000-word limit.
IIT-Roorkee, Uttarakhand has been ranked #1 in the Top 25 Architecture Colleges in India.
McGill University and the University of Waterloo are the top 2 colleges in Canada for Architecture.
Students who are pursuing an Architecture degree must be very careful while writing a dissertation as it is the only way they’ll be able to obtain a Masters Degree. Choosing the right topic for the Architecture dissertation, submitting the dissertation/thesis on time, all the above-mentioned aspects must be given equal importance. If you are interested in knowing more about Architecture courses abroad, then feel free to contact our experts at Leverage Edu anytime.