A domicile certificate is a residence certificate that is an official document for your residence proof. It is issued by the state government/ Union Territory government and allows individuals to reside anywhere in the state. It is different from a community certificate and bonafide certificate but is very important. People from any caste, class, and category can get this certificate. It is an important document as several state scholarships and exam cut-offs are reserved for state residents, and a domicile certificate provides proof of that.
Must Read: Study Certificate Format
Purpose of a Domicile Certificate
In simple terms, domicile refers to the benefits of being a resident of a specific state. Furthermore, domicile aids in obtaining resident-based reservations in institutions such as schools, educational institutions, and/or government positions. Students can also use their domicile to apply for scholarships that are only available to inhabitants of the state. Furthermore, the domicile certificate can be used as proof of address when applying for loans.
Eligibility for a Domicile Certificate
Here are the eligibility for receiving a domicile certificate in any place in India:
- The applicant’s parents have to be permanent residents of that state A.
- Or the Applicant has to reside at least three years in the state.
- Applicant should own a property/house/plot of land in that state or UT.
- The person should be on the voter’s list.
- Female applicants can apply for a domicile certificate if they are married to an individual who is a resident of that particular state.
Note: The years can vary depending on the state or the UT.
Here is the required information for the domicile certificate:
- Name of the applicant
- Residential Address
- Police Station
- Place of Birth
- Date of Birth
- The nationality of the applicant
Documents Required for Domicile Certificate
There are certain requirements for gaining this certificate, which again varies from state to state like Uttar Pradesh provides a domicile certificate to those whose parents are state’s residents or if the person has lived in Uttar Pradesh for more than 3 years. At the same time, the domicile certificate for Karnataka requires you to stay a minimum of 7 years to gain it. Here are some of the common documents required:
For the purposes of Identity Proof, the following documents are required.
- Aadhaar Card
- Voter ID Card
- PAN card
- Driving License
- Ration Card
- Any other government recognized document
For the purposes of Residence Proof, the following documents are required.
- Aadhaar Card
- Bank Passbook
- Voter ID Card
- Electricity Bill
- Telephone bill (postpaid or landline)
- Ration Card
- Rent Agreement
- Driving License
- Any other government-recognized document
For the purposes of Other Documents which might be required, you must have the following in place.
- Self-declaration along with the application form
- Passport-sized photograph
- An affidavit from the tehsil or court
- Proof of date of birth
- Voter ID card
- School leaving certificate
- Birth certificate
Know about the Bonafide Certificate: Application Process & Documents
How to Apply?
You can apply for a Domicile Certificate in your state, both online and offline. Every state has a different portal for its own domicile certificate. It is a fairly easy process that you can do sitting at home. Both the ways of applying for the same are mentioned below:
Domicile Certificate Online Procedure
If you plan to apply for a Domicile certificate online, you need to visit your state’s portal. The table below has the portal links for each state in India. In order to get a domicile certificate, you need to register and fill the application form. Here is the step by step procedure to apply for a domicile certificate for Delhi online for reference.
- Step 1: Log on to the government portal for the Delhi government: https://edistrict.delhigovt.nic.in/.
- Step 2: Head on over to “Apply Certificates Online” on the home page
- Step 3: Log in with your username and password. Create an account if you haven’t already
- Step 4: Click on “Apply for Services” under the “Apply Online” menu
- Step 5: Click on Apply and an Application form will open up as shown below
- Step 6: Fill up all the necessary details given in the application form. Once done click on Submit.
- Step 7: On successful completion and submission of the application form you will receive an acknowledgement number. Make a note of the acknowledgement number.
Know how to get a Backlog Certificate!
Where to Apply?
Given below are the different portals for different states in India from where candidates can apply for a domicile certificate:
Domicile Certificate Offline
You can apply for a domicile certificate offline from different state-level offices. It is always helpful to know where you can get your work done as it saves time. If you are looking to apply for a domicile certificate offline, you can apply from the places mentioned below.
- Revenue Office
- Collector/ Deputy Collector Office
- Citizen Service Corners (CSC)
- District Magistrate Office
- Registrar/ Sub-Registrar Office
- SDM Office
- Mamlatdar Office
- Tehsildar Office
Know more about Matriculation Certificate
When to Get a Domicile Certificate?
There are certain conditions upon which you can get your hands on this certificate. You can get it in the cases mentioned below. You can have a look here:
- If you have continuously lived more than 3 years in some states, this number can go up to 7 years in other states
- If your parents are a resident of that state
- If your husband is a resident of that state
A person can apply for a domicile certificate if they have lived in a given state for more than three years or if their parents have lived there for more than three years. The length of time spent in each state may differ.
Tehsildar, Revenue Office, SDM, Collector Office, Deputy Collector Office, District Magistrate Office, and other states/UT authorities can issue a domicile certificate.
A domicile certificate can be useful for the following purposes:
-Availing benefits of state implemented scholarship schemes
-Obtain reservation benefits in government jobs or educational institutes under resident quota
No, because an Aadhaar Card is primarily identity proof rather than evidence of residency, it cannot be used as a domicile certificate.
In most cases, domicile or resident certificate is valid for life. However, depending on the purpose for which it was requested, several state authorities have limited its legality. A domicile certificate’s minimum validity is 6 months.
Now that you know these details, you can apply for getting a domicile certificate. We hope these details help you. For any study abroad-related queries, you can always count on Leverage Edu! Get in touch with our experts who will guide you through and through with your admission process and also help you choose a career stream for yourself. Sign up for a free session today!