Australia post-study work permit is a visa that allows students to stay back in the country and apply for work. The Australian Department of Home Affairs introduced the visa on 23 March 2013. Applicants who have graduated with a BA, MA, or PhD in Australia are eligible for the post-study work visa. However, the duration of the visa would depend on the course the student has completed. Those with an Australian Post Study Work Visa can live, study, and work in Australia temporarily. Keep reading to learn more about the Australia post-study work visa.
This Blog Includes:
- Australia Post-Study Work Visa Eligibility
- Australia Post-Study Work Visa Documentation Requirements
- Australia Post-Study Work Visa Application Process
- Australia Post-Study Work Visa Duration of Stay
- Processing Time for Australia Post-Study Work Visa
- Visa Fees for Australia Post-Study Work Visa
- Latest Update
Australia Post-Study Work Visa Eligibility
The eligibility requirements to obtain an Australian post-study work visa are as follows:
- The applicant must be below the age of 50 and must be living in Australia while applying
- Must have been previously granted the 1st Student visa on or later than 5 November 2011
- Moreover, the student must have held the visa in the last 6 months
- Must have completed a CRICOS-registered course degree recently
- Additionally, the applicant must provide proof of health insurance,
- Proof of application for an AFP check
- Proof of meeting the English eligibility requirements
Australia Post-Study Work Visa Documentation Requirements
To apply for a post-study work visa applicants must present the relevant documents. Below we have provided a document checklist for the visa application.
- Study documents: The applicant must submit a course completion letter from the university providing the start and end dates of the course, CRICOS code, and copies of transcripts.
- English language requirement documents: Must have undertaken an English language test within the last 3 years before the visa application. For example, submit the IELTS/TOEFL score
- Health insurance documents: For this purpose, the applicant must submit a signed letter from a healthcare provider, proof of health insurance, and a medicare card
- Character documents: Those above the age of 16 are required to submit character documents and must have applied for an Australian Federal Police check
- Fill out other essential documents: The applicant must have filled and submitted additional documents such as Form 80, and Form 1221
- Partner documents: For example, marriage certificate, proof of mutual commitment., identity document, character documents, etc
- Dependants under 18 documents: birth certificates, or family book that has the name of both the parents, adoption paper copies, etc.
- Dependents over the age of 18: For example, for children older than 23 years provide evidence of disability
Australia Post-Study Work Visa Application Process
The application process for the Australia Post Study Work Visa application is as follows:
- The education provider must confirm that the applicant has completed the course. The visa can be applied within 6 months of the official date of completion
- Gather the essential documents and create an ImmiAccount
- Next, attach the relevant documentation and submit the application
- Pay the visa fees, and apply. The application must consist of documentation like proof of course completion, English language proficiency, etc
- The applicant will be notified of a health examination. In case, additional documentation is asked provide the same within the specified time frame.
- Complete Form 1436 to add any dependents (if applicable)
- In case of any mistake in the visa application notify the Australian Embassy
- Lastly, await the visa application outcome
Australia Post-Study Work Visa Duration of Stay
The duration of stay for the Australian post-study work visa is as follows. Note: This is a temporary visa. The duration of stay would depend on the course length, and if you have chosen a degree program.
|Post-Study Work Visa Duration
|BA degree (including honours)
|BA degree (including honours) in select degree
|BA degree (including honors) in select degree
|MA research and masters by coursework in select degrees
|MA research and masters by coursework
|Extended masters degree
|Extended master’s degree -in select degree
|BNO /Hong Kong passport holders (BA, MA, PhD)
Processing Time for Australia Post-Study Work Visa
The Australian visa processing time for post-study work permits is provided below. Note: the visa application can take longer if the applicant has not filled the details correctly, more information is needed or the verification is taking longer than expected.
|Processing Time (as of 1 Jan 2024)
|Post-Study Work stream (temporary graduate visa subclass 485)
|83 days (90% of the applications)
Visa Fees for Australia Post-Study Work Visa
The visa fee for an Australia post-study work visa is approximately AUD 1,895.00 for the main applicant. However, additional fees can be charged for each family member who applies for a visa along with you. Such entrants would have to pay full application fees.
The applicant would also have to pay for police verification, biometrics, and health checkups. Note: subclass 485 visa holders do not have to pay for the temporary Application.
As of July 2023, the Australian government has increased the post-study work rights for 2 more years. However, this is only applicable to select degree programs in areas of skill shortage. Those who acquire a degree in these eligible programs can stay in the country for 2 more years.
Secondly, the working hours cap has been increased. The working hours have been increased from 40 hours to 48 hours a fortnight for international students. The latest changes have been applicable since 1 July 2023.
Yes. Australia grants post-study work visas to international students. The visa allows students who have graduated from Australia to live, study, and work in the country for a temporary period.
Yes. The student visa holder can work in Australia. However, the working hours are restricted to 48 hours a fortnight. This restriction is applied throughout the course.
Those who complete their masters in Australia can get a PR easily, provided they meet the eligibility requirements. For example, English language eligibility criteria, etc.
We hope you now understand about Australia post post-study work visa, its requirements, etc. Want to apply for a Visa for your study abroad journey? Drop us a comment in the section below, or you can connect with a visa expert at Leverage Edu, and we will guide you on your dream journey!