All international students going to study in Italy require a student visa to be able to travel and reside in the country, the time of approval of visa should be given prior attention to plan your journey systematically before the start of your course. The student visa category still has subcategories depending on the duration of stay in the country. Different types of visas have different processing times so knowing what is right time for you to apply becomes very important. This blog provides everything you need to know about Italy student visa processing time.
This Blog Includes:
- Types Of Student Visa In Italy
- Italy Student Visa Processing Time
- Eligibility Criteria For Italy Student Visa Processing Time
- Documents Required For Italy Student Visa Application
- Allowances Under Italy Student Visa
- Factors Affecting Italy Student Visa Processing Time
- Reasons for Visa Rejection
- Italy Student Visa Cost
- Process To Apply For Student Visa To Italy
Have a quick look into why are student visas denied
Types Of Student Visa In Italy
The student visa in Italy is of two different types for non-EU or EFTA students.
- Visa Type C
- Visa Type D
Visa Type C is the short stay visa with a validity of a maximum of 90 days of stay in the country. It does allow entry multiple times but within the duration of 90 days only. Students going for short-duration programs, internships, etc apply for Visa type C. The type C visa does not allow the student to work in the country.
Visa Type D is the long stay visa i.e. the visa required for a stay of more than 90 days. The validity of the visa is for more than 90 days for a maximum of a year, but it can be renewed every year depending on the duration of your course. This visa is applied by students going for bachelor’s, master’s, or research courses. It allows the student to work in the country for 20 hours a week (will require an extra work permit).
Students from EU and EEA countries planning to study in Italy need not apply for any visa and are free to study and stay in Italy.
Italy Student Visa Processing Time
Italy student visa processing time is usually 2 to 3 weeks. After the application, you must get your visa approved within 15 to 20 days but the processing time and process are subject to change with changes in governmental policies of the country.
The standard time to apply for a visa is three months before your planned departure to avoid any unnecessary delays and issues at the last moment if the visa is not approved.
Know if a Student visa is the same as a study visa
Eligibility Criteria For Italy Student Visa Processing Time
- The candidate should have all the valid documents required for the application for a Visa
- The candidate should have medical insurance
- The candidate should have chosen and got approval from a university in Italy
- The candidate should not have been denied entry into Italy previously
- The candidate should not hold any criminal record as per laws by the Italian government
- The candidate must have an already booked ticket with a clear date of departure
- The candidate should have all educational transcripts of previous academics
- The candidate should have proof of sufficient funds to stay in Italy
Documents Required For Italy Student Visa Application
- A valid passport along with all previous passports. The validity should be of 6 months from the application date
- 2 passport-size photographs of the student
- Flight booking tickets with a clear date of departure
- Travel insurance with a cover of 30,000 EUROs
- A proof of accommodation already booked for the duration of stay
- Bank statement showing enough funds to sustain the stay duration in Italy
- An acceptance letter from the university along with the stamp of the institution
- A convincing cover letter with a proper reason for studying in Italy and a clear mention of the will to return to the parent country after course completion.
Allowances Under Italy Student Visa
Italian student visa provides students with the following benefits:
- Permit to travel in and out of the country during the validity of visa
- Work allowance for 20 hours a week
- Stay in the country for up to the duration of the course by availing and renewing residential status
Factors Affecting Italy Student Visa Processing Time
Time of application
- If your application time is the peak season i.e. the course starting time and there are many applications for visas it will affect the Italy student visa processing time
Errors in the documents
- The documents sometimes can have some details wrongly mentioned
- The submission of wrong documents
- Incomplete document submission
Verification of the documents
- The verification of the documents provided takes time and the time may be more in some cases due to various factors
- The inability to verify can also lead to more processing time.
Reasons for Visa Rejection
Some of the common reasons for the rejection of a visa are:
- Your account might have insufficient balance required to survive in Italy.
- You may have your visa rejected previously
- You may have your documents incomplete or fake
- You may have any criminal record
- You may have a damaged passport
- You may have an invalid medical insurance
Italy Student Visa Cost
|Cost in Euro
|Visa Type C
|Visa Type D
Process To Apply For Student Visa To Italy
Following is the procedure to apply for a student visa for Italy:
- The visa application has to be made at Italian Appointed Visa Application Centers by filling out an offline form.
- Reach out to an Italian embassy in your country. If there is no embassy reach out to the Schengen country Visa application center to book yourself an appointment.
- Submit all the required documents at the center along with photocopies.
- Once document submission and approval are done then go for the interview on the provided date and slot.
- If your interview and documents are accepted and approved, the processing of your visa will begin.
- It would take 2 to 3 weeks for visa processing so plan your application date accordingly.
Yes, it can go beyond 20 days if there is any problem with verification or documentation.
Yes, visa applications can be cancelled if your documents are found not genuine.
The visa is advised to be applied 3 months before the date of departure.
This was all about the Italy student visa processing time. To get more information on visa types, time, cost, etc follow Student Visa and to know more about studying abroad kindly follow Leverage Edu.