A family visa UK is a visa that allows a person to live with their family in the UK. That is, the visa can be applied to stay with the spouse/ partner, fiancé/fiancée, proposed civil partner, parent, relative, or child in the UK. The visa is for those seeking to stay in the UK for more than 6 months. Moreover, a visa extension is available to live with the same person for 28 more days. Keep reading to learn more about the family visa UK.
This Blog Includes:
What is a Family Visa UK?
A visa that is granted to people who have a family in the UK. Additionally, the applicant must want to stay with his/her family for more than 6 months. To apply for UK settlement with the family or to get an ‘indefinite leave to remain’ it is important to live in the UK for a certain period of time.
Family visa UK extension
Those who are already on a family visa can apply for a visa extension. However, the visa extension is only given for a duration of 28 days to stay with the family member.
Switching to a family visa UK
It is possible to switch to a family visa UK if a person wants to stay with their family member in the UK. For example, child, parent, or spouse/partner. However, switching to a family visa must be done before the current visa expires.
Also Read: UK Spouse Visa 2023: Fees, Documents, Rules
In certain exceptional circumstances, it is possible to apply for UK settlement. For example, to stay with a parent, child, partner/spouse. For example, if you were a victim of domestic abuse, or your partner died.
To be eligible for this type of visa you must have any of the following. However, it is important to note that the applicant must have proof of a genuine relationship with the family member
- Must have a partner/spouse/relative of a UK citizen or settled person
- Must be a dependent spouse/close reactive/partner who has a valid entry to the UK
- A family member of a UK citizen, and is looking for a temporary visit
The following are the documents required for a family visa UK application. These documents have to be ready to make the application.
- Income proof
The income proof has to be provided by those who want to settle in the UK. That is an income proof of £18,600 a year (the combined income of the applicant and their partner. An additional amount of £3,800 a year for the 1st child, and £2,400 a year for every other child after the 1st child.
- Meet the language requirements
The cost of a family visa UK for those applying from outside and inside the UK are as follows:
|Apply in the UK
|Apply outside the UK
|Cost for each dependant added to your application
|£1,846 for each person
|£1,048 for each person
|Cost of joining your partner, parent, or child
Also Read: Types of UK Visa for India Students
How to Apply for a Family Visa UK?
To apply for a family visa follow the steps below:
- Visit the official website of the UK government
- Next, go to the page ‘Family visas: apply, extend or switch’
- Next, select from the options provided – For example, Apply as a partner or spouse, apply as a parent, apply as a child, apply as an adult coming to be cared for by a relative, apply on the basis of your private life
- Check if you are meeting the eligibility criteria
- Lastly, apply for this visa by filling out the required information and uploading the relevant documents
To receive a family visa, the following information must be provided:
- Name, dates of birth, and current passport or other valid travel document
- Must have copies of the photo page, and visa stamps in your previous passport
- Must have copies of biometric resident permit (if applicable)
- Record of previous immigration applications
- Details of any criminal record
- National insurance number (if applicable)
- Parent’s date of birth, and nationality
- Proof of a TB test certificate
- A blank page in the passport for the visa stamp
Also Read: How to Make a UK Visa Application?
Family Visa UK Results
The results of the family visa application will be received by the applicant within 24 weeks. By paying an additional 1,000 for the super-priority service. The decision regarding the visa can be received faster. However, it is not possible to receive priority on the visa application decision if the applicant is applying as an adult coming to be cared for by a relative.
The difficulty of family visas in the UK varies from case to case. It can be difficult to get a family visa for an adult-dependent relative visa. The cost of such visas is high too (£3,000). However, different rules may apply if a partner is sponsoring the visa.
The first person in the family to apply can get a family linking code to connect all the relevant applications. Later on, the family members can apply the same code to receive the UK visa.
The decision regarding the family visa can take approximately 24 weeks. To receive the decision faster, candidates can apply for a faster visa.