In NCERT Class 6 English A Pact with the Sun Chapter 4 is a biography of Tansen. In his biography, we explore the childhood, adulthood, and demise of this brilliant singer. Also, we get to know about his career as a singer, his teacher, and his closeness to the mighty Mughal Emperor Akbar. We have included all the details of the chapter in the Summary section of our CBSE Class 6 English Chapter 4 Notes on Tansen. In the subsequent sections, we have tried to answer all questions of the chapter. Happy Learning!!
Also Read: Importance of Music in a Student’s Life
Summary of NCERT Class 6 English Chapter 4: Tansen
Tansen was a naughty but talented boy who could mimic the sounds of birds and animals. He was born to Mukand Misra and his wife in Behat, Gwalior. One fine day, he met a wise man named Swami Haridas, who saw his potential and taught him music for 11 years. During this time, both his parents were dead. His father’s last wish was that Tansen must visit Mohammad Ghaus, a holy man.
During his stay at Muhammad Ghaus in Gwalior, he met his wife Hussaini. He met her at the court of Rani Mrignaini, who herself was an exceptional musician. After getting married to Tansen, Hussaini also became the disciple of Swami Haridas. Both of them excelled in their journey as musicians. As years went by, they both became parents of 5 children who all were inclined to music.
Eventually, he became famous and gained a name as a great singer. Later on, in 1556 he started singing for Emperor Akbar, who loved his music. However, some jealous courtiers tried to trick Tansen into singing a dangerous song, but he cleverly saved himself with the help of his daughter and her friend. Jealous courtiers like Shaukat Mian would advise Akbar to ask Tansen to perform Raga Deepak as he thought that Tanswen would die while singing Raga Deepak. To Shaukat’s disappointment, performed very well.
When he sang Raga Deepak, trees dried, birds fell, people bathed in sweat, and river water began to boil. Also, the audience members cried in fear and lamps lit themselves. Thereafter, Saraswati, his daughter, and Rupvati, her friend, started singing Raga Megh. Their voice was so powerful that heavy rains began and the heat caused due to Raga Deepak was subsidised.
Tansen continued to sing for Akbar until he passed away in 1585. He created new kinds of music and is remembered as one of our country’s greatest musicians. His tomb in Gwalior is a special place for musicians to visit.
|Discover the Success Story of Ed Sheeran
|Queen Beyoncé, the Epitome of Girl Power!
|From Handwritten to Wonder: The Story of Shawn Mendes
|These Success Tips Don’t Lie: Life Lessons by Shakira
NCERT Solutions Class 6 English Chapter 4: Tansen
Ques 1. Why did Swami Haridas say Tansen was ‘talented’?
Ans: When Swami Haridas entered a forest with his disciples he heard someone roaring like a Tiger. It was none other than Tansen. Hearing the powerful voice, Haridas realised that Tansen was ‘talented’.
Ques 2. Why did Akbar ask Tansen to join his court?
Ans: As Akbar was impressed with the music performance of Tansen, he asked him to join his court.
Ques 3. How do we know that Akbar was fond of Tansen? Give two reasons.
Ans: Akbar would ask Tansen to sing at any hour of the day or night. He frequently visited Tansen’s home to listen to him rehearse. Also, he gave him a ton of gifts as well. Thus, it is proof that Emperor Akbar was very fond of Tansen.
Ques 4. What did the other courtiers feel about Tansen?
Ans: Other courtiers were jealous of Tansen’s popularity. They conspired to spoil his career by advising Akbar to ask Tansen to perform difficult ragas.
- What happens if Raga Deepak is sung properly?
- Why did Tansen’s enemies want him to sing the Raga?
- If Raga Deepak is performed properly the surrounding becomes hot, leaves on trees dry, water in the rivers evaporate, and everyone starts to sweat. Also, the signer would be burnt down to ashes.
- His enemies wanted Tansen to die while singing Raga Deepak. With his death, his popularity in Akbar’s court will also end.
Ques 6. Why did Tansen agree to sing Raga Deepak?
Ans: Tansen wanted to sing Raga Deepak because he did not want to disrespect Emperor Akbar. Also, he wanted to showcase his musical talent.
- What steps did he take to save himself?
- Did his plan work? How?
- After being requested to sing Raga Deepak, Tansen became anxious and frightened. He asked the king to give him some time so he could get ready. He had a wonderful thought in the interim. He spent two weeks teaching Raga Megh to his daughter Saraswati and her friend Rupvati. He instructed them to begin singing Raga Megh to bring rain and relieve the effects of the heat as soon as he finished singing Raga Deepak.
- Tansen’s strategy did indeed succeed. When he began to sing Raga Deepak, the air began to heat up; as a result, the leaves on the trees dried up, the birds died, the water in the rivers started to boil, and the people were worried that flames might suddenly appear and light the lamps. The moment Saraswati and Rupvati started singing Raga Megh, the sky darkened and rain suddenly poured down, sparing Tansen’s life and the surrounding area from further harm.
Ans: Tansen got his music education from Swami Haridas. He learned music from him for 11 long years.
Ans: Tansen married Hussaini, a great singer. She belonged to the court of Rani Mrignaini.
Ans: He lost his life in 1585.
Follow Leverage Edu for complete study material on CBSE Notes of Class 6 English.