The outstanding scholarship system in place in the UK is one of the key reasons why it is a favourite study-abroad destination for Indian students. Higher education in the UK, on the other hand, can be costly, which is why the UK government and universities provide a variety of UK scholarships for Indian students. The Zutshi-Smith Scholarship program was established as a legacy of Dr Derek Zutshi, who passed away in 2007. (MB ChB 1957, Hon LLD 1999). An Indian research student will be given the option to study at the University of British Columbia in any PhD program. While all qualified Indian students will be considered for the award, those from Kashmir will be given first consideration.
|Scholarship Type||Merit-Based, College-Specific|
|Organization||Legacy of Dr Derek Zutshi|
|No. of Scholarships||1|
|International Students Eligible||Yes|
PLEASE NOTE: This scholarship isn’t running for academic year 2023/24
This Blog Includes:
Important Dates and Deadlines
Applications for the previous academic year are already closed. Every other year, the scholarship is given out. Although, this scholarship isn’t running for the academic year 2023/24.
Facts About Zutshi-Smith Scholarship
The Zutshi-Smith scholarship was founded to provide financial support to an Indian doctoral student at the University of Bristol. The fellowship is named after Srinagar-born Dr Zutshi. He studied medicine at the University of Bristol and stayed in touch with the institution after graduating. The scholarship program provides annual payments that are intended to cover the cost of tuition and fees for the entire year. A stipend is also provided to cover the costs of the student’s study. The total scholarship amount awarded to the recipient is $19,987.49 (1,471,992 INR).
Also Read: PhD Scholarships in UK
Expenses Covered Under Zutshi-Smith Scholarship
The selected student’s four years of university education are entirely funded by the University of Bristol. The award sum for the Zutshi-Smith Scholarship covers the following expenses:
|Expense||Covered or not|
|Tuition and Fees||Yes|
|Travel Cost (Air Fare)||Yes|
During the first year of study, students can stay in the University’s residence halls. If a student decides to live in one of the University’s residence halls, the stipend is decreased to meet the Hall Fees.
Awarded Amount Under Zutshi-Smith Scholarship
The scholarship covers the following expenses for up to four years of study:
- Tuition costs at the University of Bristol
- A living stipend of £15,285(1,125,702 INR) was given in 2021/22, based on Research UK funding levels.
- One round-trip flight to and from India.
- A stipend for research expenses.
Also Read: MBA Scholarships in UK
To be considered for the Zutshi-Smith Scholarship, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- A resident of India is required. Kashmiri applications would be given priority.
- Admission to the University of Bristol is required.
- At the university, you must be enrolled in a PhD program.
There are no strict eligibility conditions, only students who meet the aforementioned criteria will be considered for the award.
- In most cases, the application period runs from January to April of the year in which the scholarship is being offered. You should indicate your interest in being considered for this prize on your application to study. The faculties will automatically consider all eligible candidates seeking financing.
- Program leads who want to support your funding application must fill out the nomination form and submit it to their Faculty’s PGR Director. You should allow enough time for your program leader to complete the nomination form.
- The Faculty PGR Directors will next select their top three candidates and forward them to the Student Funding Office for consideration. The nominated submissions will be collected by the Student Funding Office and sent to the Associate Provost for Postgraduate Studies. The Associate Pro-Vice-Chancellor will choose the winning candidate.
- There is a limit of one application per applicant, the Associate Pro Vice-decision Chancellor’s is final, and there will be no correspondence.
The selection process for this scholarship considers several factors in the scholarship application, including:
- Academic grades
- Statement of purpose
- Work experience, if any
- Research proposal
The selection committee chooses a Zutshi-Smith Scholarship recipient based on these factors.
With Zutshi Smith Scholarship, an Indian research student will be given the option to study at the University of British Columbia in any PhD program. While all qualified Indian students will be considered for the award, those from Kashmir will be given first consideration
Zutshi Smith Scholarship amount is $19,987(1,471,992 INR).
The Zutshi-Smith Scholarship program was established as a legacy of Dr Derek Zutshi, who passed away in 2007.
This was all about the Zutshi-Smith Scholarship for Indian students by the University of Bristol. You can contact Leverage Edu our counsellors can assist you with all of the compilations you may encounter while applying for this scholarship they can guide you down this path with the greatest efficiency and experience.