International students prefer Malaysia as a perfect destination for quality higher education and career opportunities. The country has its best achievements not only in the tourism sector but also in education and lifestyle. With world-class educational standards, this Asian country is becoming a popular destination for international students. Currently, there are over 100,000 international students from more than 150 nations in Malaysia. The country is also home to prominent universities that rank amongst the top 200 universities in the world. International students generally need a Student Visa to study in Malaysia. This blog collates everything you need to know about the Malaysia Student Visa, the application process, fees and more!
Also read about the Employment Pass in Malaysia
This Blog Includes:
- Latest News Updates
- How to Apply for Malaysia Student Visa?
- Malaysia Student Visa Fees
- Processing Time For Malaysia Student Visa
- Malaysia Student Pass Categories
- Documents Required for Malaysia Student Visa
- Malaysia Dependent Pass
- Reasons for Rejection of Malaysia Student Visa
Latest News Updates
- International students who have already received offer letters from colleges and institutions and match the eligibility criteria are allowed to enter Malaysia on a Malaysia Student Visa starting from January 1, 2021, according to the Ministry of Security Cluster.
- International students who wish to study in Malaysia must comply with the standard procedures established by the National Security Council.
- COVID-19 test must be taken three days before moving to Malaysia.
- Swab test is a must for every student entering the country.
- 10 days of quarantine is essential for students according to government guidelines even if the test is negative.
Explore these top Universities in Malaysia
How to Apply for Malaysia Student Visa?
The Malaysian Government has made the student visa application process quite easy. The students are no longer required to contact their local Malaysian embassy or consulate. Let’s go through the application process step by step:
Step 1: Get in Touch with the Institution: Students can apply for the student pass directly from the selected university and submit the application with complete information. Make sure to have a passport with a validity of more than 1 year, otherwise, the student pass will not be processed.
Step 2: Wait for the Confirmation of Acceptance: Students will be informed of application status. The notification of acceptance is sent via Immigration Department in Malaysia within 7 days.
Step 3: Submit the Necessary Documents: Submit all the above-mentioned documents to the chosen university to gain the student visa to study in Malaysia.
Step 4: Confirmation of Student Pass: The university will send a letter confirming the student pass and a letter of approval will be issued by the Immigration Department of Malaysia.
Step 5: Share Flight Details with the Institution: Inform the university regarding the airport location, flight number, and arrival date and time. The university’s representative will come to the airport and brief you with all the details. Within two weeks, you will receive the student pass from the Immigration Department of Malaysia.
Step 6: What’s Next? We at Leverage Edu provide students with perfect assistance regarding study-abroad queries. Call us on 1800572000 and get a chance to talk to our mentors and pace up with your study abroad journey!
Malaysia Student Visa Fees
The application for a Malaysia Visa for Indians varies depending on the type of course and the type of institution in which the student wishes to enrol. Health insurance is also a mandatory aspect of any student visa application. In addition to the visa, students in Malaysia need an I-Kad, the official Malaysian identity card.
|Type of Malaysian University/College||Student Visa Malaysia Fees|
|Private Higher Institute||RM 1,060 – RM 1,560 (INR 18,000 – 27,000)|
|Private Institute||RM 810 – RM 1,060 (INR 14,000 – 18,000)|
|International Accredited Centres||RM 810 – RM 1,060 (INR 14,000 – 18,000)|
|Public Institute||RM 810 – RM 1,560 (INR 14,000 – 27,000)|
Processing Time For Malaysia Student Visa
The processing time for a Malaysian Student Visa is roughly 1 to 3 weeks. The Visa office takes 14 days to approve the Visa Approval Letter and verify the documents of the candidates. All students are advised to start the visa application process in advance to ensure they make it to their dream university on time!
Malaysia Student Pass Categories
Depending on the institution you choose, you will be placed in one of the Malaysian Immigration Department’s many categories.
|Category||How to Apply?|
|International Students in government/private schools||Apply for a student visa at the state immigration office near you.|
|International Students at Public Higher Education Institutions||Apply for a visa at a state immigration office through an institution. Applicants from Bangladesh, India, and Pakistan must submit their applications to the Department of Immigration in Putrajaya.|
|International Students at Private Higher Education Institutions/Training Centers||Apply for a Malaysia student visa via the institution’s website at Education Malaysia Global Services (EMGS).|
|International Students in Language Centers||Apply through an institution to the Department of Immigration in Putrajaya.|
|Holder of Dependent Pass (Expatriate)||The application must be filed to the Expatriate Service Division of Immigration Headquarters in Putrajaya, or to any applicable State Immigration Office.|
Documents Required for Malaysia Student Visa
According to the rules issued by Education Malaysia Global Services (EMGS), the documents listed below are absolutely important to wish to study in Malaysia:
- Completed Malaysia student visa application form signed by the applicant
- Offer letter from a Malaysian University approved by the pass & permit department of Immigration Headquarters of Malaysia
- Academic transcripts
- Health certificate
- 2 passport size photographs with white background (35mm x 45 mm)
- Two photocopies of the passport
- Proof of financial support and bank statements
- Proof of security and personal bond
- Evidence of full-time course of study approved by the Ministers of Home Affairs
- Letters of Approval
- If a student is coming from a country with a high risk of yellow fever, he or she must have the required vaccinations before entering Malaysia.
- Students must demonstrate their proficiency and efficiency in the English language when applying for a Visa Approval Letter (PTE, IELTS, TOEFL, CAE, CPE, MUET).
Top Scholarships In Malaysia for International Students
Guidelines For Passport Photograph
Students applying for a Malaysian visa should follow the criteria to avoid any problems with law enforcement personnel.
- The photos must be in colour and not in black and white colour
- It should be professionally be taken against a white background
- It should have dimensions of 45 mm height and 35 mm width
- It should be free from reflection, free from shadow and visible
- It should be free from a red-eye and nothing covering the face
- It should contain the full name of the students at the back of the photograph
Medical Screening of International Students in Malaysia
International students applying for Student Visa Malaysia must undertake the following medical screenings:
- New foreign students must attend a medical screening at a panel within 7 days
- If students are applying for visa renewal they don’t have to undergo medical screening
- International students applying for the change of course or the university are required to attend the in-country medical screening at an EMGS panel.
Malaysia Dependent Pass
Students seeking master’s and PhD degrees in Malaysia are permitted to bring their dependents with them. Only the spouse, children, mother, and father are considered dependents. The following are the documents needed for a dependent pass:
- Form Imm. 38
- Form Imm. 55
- Copy of Student Pass holder passport
- Copies of dependents passport/documents
- Confirmation letter from universities/college
- Health insurance
- Proof of relationship (marriage certificate, birth certificate or letter from the embassy) certified by the embassy office)
- Any other relevant documents
Note: During the course of their studies, Student Pass holders and their dependents will be issued a Multiple Entry Visa (MEV) that will allow them to travel to and from their home country.
Reasons for Rejection of Malaysia Student Visa
The acceptance rate of Malaysian Visa is 90% which is much higher as compared to the other countries. Malaysia attracts around 100,000 students annually but the Malaysian Immigration Department may reject a Malaysia student visa application based on:
- Any history of criminal offence
- Submission of false documents
- Invalid LOR
- Insufficient balance in the bank account
- Poor communication skills
- Non-satisfactory academic records
- Inconsistent choice of programs or courses
Depending on your country of origin, the cost varies from RM 810 – RM 1,560 (INR 14,000 – 27,000).
The Malaysian Immigration Department allows international students studying in Malaysia to work part-time for 20 hours per week during semester breaks or during holidays of 7 or more days.
The overall process from applying for a Malaysian Student Visa Approval Letter (VAL) to receiving your Student Pass takes 4-6 weeks.
You can only stay in the country if you find an employer willing to sponsor your work permit which can help you legally work in Malaysia.
On average, you can earn RM25 – 50 per hour in Malaysia.
We hope that this blog provides you with a complete guide on the Malaysia student visa. Are you interested in pursuing your dream course abroad? Get in touch with our Leverage Edu mentors and we will guide you throughout the process of selecting the right university as well as drafting an impressive application. Call us on 1800572000!