WBJEE (West Bengal Joint Entrance Exam) is an engineering entrance exam conducted for BTech admissions in engineering colleges throughout West Bengal. West Bengal B.Tech admissions are solely based on the candidates’ performance/rank in WBJEE/ JEE Main. Several parameters are considered by the admission authority when determining the WBJEE rank. However, the WBJEE score is the most important element in deciding the final list of students. The WBJEE cutoff, as well as the opening and closing ranks, will vary from one college to the next. Want to know the difference between WBJEE marks vs rank? Let’s find out with this blog!
This Blog Includes:
- WBJEE 2023 Highlights
- WBJEE Marks vs Rank 2023 (Expected)
- Good Score for WBJEE 2023
- Good Ranks for WBJEE 2023
- Admission Process Based on WBJEE Marks vs Rank
- WBJEE 2023 Marking Scheme
- WBJEE Cut-Off Marks
- Top Institues Accepting WBJEE Scores/Ranks
- WBJEE Marks vs Rank Predictor 2023
WBJEE 2023 Highlights
|Full Form||West Bengal Joint Entrance Examination|
|Organizing Body||West Bengal Joint Entrance Examinations Board|
|Level of Examination||State-level|
|Mode for Application||Online|
|Frequency of Exam||Once every year|
|Duration of Exam||2 hours|
|Number of Test Papers||2 (Paper 1- MathematicsPaper 2- Physics and Chemistry)|
|Number of Questions in the Exam||155|
|Type of Questions||MCQ|
|Application Fees to be Paid||General- INR 500SC/ ST/ OBC- A/ OBC- B- INR 400|
|Number of Seats Available||34125|
|WBJEE Helpline number||1800 1023 789/ 1800 3450 050|
The WBJEEB publishes WBJEE findings as a Rank Card. Candidates in papers I and II of the WBJEE examination will receive a relevant score, component scores, and a total score on their WBJEE Rank Card. Rank lists will not be made public by the admissions authority. The table below will assist you in determining your WBJEE rank
Relevant Read: Entrance Exams in India
WBJEE Marks vs Rank 2023 (Expected)
WBJEE 2023 marks vs ranks have been analysed by taking into account the previous year’s WBJEE cutoff, opening and closing rankings, and other factors. The candidates’ WBJEE exam scores and the difficulty level of the questions are usually significant factors in deciding WBJEE ratings. The predicted WBJEE 2023 rank vs marks can be found below:
|WBJEE Marks||WBJEE Rank|
Good Score for WBJEE 2023
The WBJEE Exam consists of two papers: Paper 1 (Mathematics) and Paper 2 (Physics and Chemistry), each worth 100 points. Good WBJEE 2023 results are determined by the course for which the individual has applied, as admitting colleges have distinct WBJEE Cutoffs for each course.
Good Scores for BTech
|>150||Top scores in the examination|
|140-120||Very good scores|
|50-70||Below Average scores|
|Below 50||Low scores|
Good Scores for B.Pharma
|90+||Very good score|
|40-54||Below Average scores|
|Below 40||Low scores|
Relevant Read: List of Competitive Exams after 12th
Good Ranks for WBJEE 2023
WBJEE Ranks are the basis for admission into WBJEE Participating Institutes because these institutes accept admissions based on rank rather than results.
Following the publication of results, WBJEE publishes two merit lists for counselling purposes: GMR (General Merit Rank) for B.Tech and B.Arch admissions and PMR (Pharmacy Merit Rank) for B. Pharma admissions. The rankings may alter on a yearly basis, based on the competition and the year’s question paper. The good entrance ranks for each institute are listed below.
Good Ranks for Btech
|Rank||Expected WBJEE 2023 Score Range||Remarks|
|100-10,000||140-120||Very Good Rank|
|10,001- 15,000||120-105||Good Rank|
|15,001-30,000||90-105||Above Average Rank|
|30,001- 40,000||90-70||Average Rank|
|40,001- 50,000||70-50||Below Average Rank|
|Below 50,000.||Below 50||Low Rank|
Good Ranks for B.Pharma
|Rank||Expected WBJEE 2023 Score Range||Remark|
|Upto 1,000||75-89||Very Good Rank|
|Upto 10,000||55-74||Good Rank|
|Upto 25,000||40-54||Average Rank|
|Upto 50,000||35-40||Below Average rank|
|Below 50,000||Below 35||Low Rank|
Relevant Read: B Tech Mechanical Engineering
Admission Process Based on WBJEE Marks vs Rank
The admission authority will prepare a Merit Rank list based on the subjects/papers attempted in WBJEE 2023 and the score received by the candidates in the WBJEE test. The General Merit Rank (GMR) will be assigned to candidates using the following method:
- GMR will be assigned to candidates based on their combined scores in WBJEE Paper I and II.
- The admissions authority may rate applicants in descending order based on their average performance in all subjects.
- Separate merit positions will be reserved for a particular group of students in addition to GMR merit positions. SC Rank, OBC-B Rank, TFW Rank, ST Rank, OBC-A Rank, and so on.
- WBJEE seat allocation and counselling can be performed solely on the basis of GMR.
- If there is a tie, tie-breaking rules will be used to break it.
- Candidates who do not receive a WBJEE rank are not entitled to participate in the WBJEE counselling scheme. The GMR would not have these candidates.
WBJEE 2023 Marking Scheme
Having a good understanding of the WBJEE marking scheme will help candidates to calculate their WBJEE rank. The below table explains marks distribution in all three sections of the WBJEE question paper. The question paper for WBJEE is further divided into three categories. The distribution of marks and the number of questions varies for every category.
|Category 1||1 Mark – 30 questions||1 Mark – 50 questions||1 Mark – 30 questions|
|Category 2||2 Marks – 5 Questions||2 Marks – 15 questions||2 Marks – 5 questions|
|Category 3||2 Marks – 5 questions||2 Marks – 10 questions||2 Marks – 5 questions|
- Category 1
- Only one option can be corrected.
- 1 mark for each correct answer.
- ¼ marks will be deducted for an incorrect answer.
- Category 2
- Only one option can be corrected.
- 2 marks for each correct answer.
- ½ marks will be deducted for an incorrect answer.
- Category 3
- One or more options may be correct for a question.
- Only all correct answers will gain 2 marks.
- If given one correct and one incorrect response, it will be treated as incorrect.
- Partially correct answer: total marks = 2 x (no. of correct options/total no. of correct options)
Relevant Read: PUBDET Exam 2023
WBJEE Cut-Off Marks
WBJEE cut-offs are the minimum marks that candidates must achieve in order to engage in WBJEEB’s document verification and seat allotment process. Only candidates who achieve a rank that is equal to or higher than the exam cut-offs are eligible to apply for entry to the participating colleges. For the courses offered by the joint entrance test, each of the WBJEE participating institutes releases separate cut-off scores. The WBJEE cut-off is a list of minimum scores and opening-closing ranks for each group. The cutoff marks for each of the categories and courses may differ.
Types of WBJEE Cut Off
The Board publishes three different categories of Cut Off Lists. They are as follows:
- Eligibility Cutoff: The minimum qualifying test score needed to take the WBJEE. Students who passed in 10+2 with a 45 per cent aggregate in Physics, Chemistry, Math, and other main subjects. They must score at least 30% in English separately.
- Qualifying Cutoff: The required minimum score to pass the entrance test. GMR will have students who pass the WBJEE cutoff.
- Admission Cutoff: Admission rounds will be held in participating institutes based on WBJEE qualifying marks and GMR merit. The institutes publish WBJEE Opening and Closing Ranks by branch and category.
Relevant Read: Entrance Exams After 12th Science
Top Institues Accepting WBJEE Scores/Ranks
For admission to top government and private institutes in West Bengal, any rank above 10,000 for B.Tech programmes and above 1,000 for B.Pharma courses is considered. Some of the best government and private colleges in West Bengal that offer admission into B.Tech and B.Pharm programmes based on rank (including General, OBC, and SC/ST ranks) are listed below.
|Institute||Ranks Accepted||Qualifying Scores for B.Tech||Qualifying score for B.Pharma|
|Jadavpur University||1-2500||Above 105||Above 90|
|Kalyani Gov.Engineering College||1-2800||Above 105||Above 90|
|Institute of Engg. and Management||100- 3700||Above 105||Above 90|
|Haldia Institute of Technology||500-9,500||Above 92||Above 75|
|Jalpaiguri Govt. Engineering College||600-5000||Above 95||Above 80|
|Heritage Institute of Technology||700-10,000||Above 92||Above 75|
|Bengal College of Engineering and Technology||800- 10,000||Above 92||Above 75|
|Techno India College||1,500-10,000||Above 92|
|Netaji Subhash Chandra Engg College||2000- 7,000||Above 92||Above 75|
|RCC Institute of Engg and Technology||2500-10,000||Above 92||Above 75|
WBJEE Marks vs Rank Predictor 2023
The WBJEE 2023 authority has complete control over admission. The subjects and difficulty level faced by candidates are used to construct a General Merit Rank list. The GMR is only delivered to candidates who match the criteria listed below.
- Candidates must have passed both WBJEE 2023 examinations (Paper I & Paper II).
- The candidates are ranked in descending order based on their overall score across all topics.
- WBJEE OBC Rank vs Marks is examined in a novel manner.
- WBJEE OBC Rank vs Marks is analysed in a unique way. The GMR of the candidates determines seat allocation totally.
- Candidates who do not have a rank will be unable to participate in WBJEE 2023 Counselling. They will also not appear on the General Merit Rank List.
Ans. Marks 80-89 are under 990-10300 WBJEE Rank
Ans. Marks 40-59 are under 34750-35250 WBJEE Rank
Ans. Candidates having a WBJEE score of 120 or higher can be regarded as good. Candidates should have an average WBJEE score of around 110.
Hope you understood all about WBJEE 2023. Still, have more doubts? Comment down below and we will reach back to you in no time! Stay connected with Leverage Edu for more inspirational content.