You must have seen bridges, flyovers and under roads while travelling from one place to another. Have you ever wondered how these are created? And more importantly, who creates these structures? The advent of technology and increasing trends of new-age courses in the world has given rise to a unique specialization of Civil Engineering known as Transportation Engineering. It deals with the pavement, design, planning of efficient transport systems. Transportation has always been crucial for the development of the trade system and harbours. Nevertheless, every aspect of these transportation facilities is covered by Transport Engineers. In this blog, we are going to answer what is Transportation Engineering and how you can make a career in this field!
This Blog Includes:
- What is Transportation Engineering?
- Eligibility Criteria to Study Transportation Engineering
- Popular Courses in Transporation Engineering
- Top Universities for Transportaion Engineering
- Transportation Engineering Syllabus & Subjects
- Scope of Transportation Engineering
- Popular Job Profiles
What is Transportation Engineering?
Transportation Engineering is the utilization of innovation and logical principles to the arranging, functional plan, activity and the management of facilities for any method of transportation to accommodate the safe, rapid, convenient, helpful, affordable, and ecologically perfect development of individuals and products (transport). Whenever the question arises” What is Transportation Engineering?”, you need to understand that Transportation designing is a significant segment of the structural engineering and mechanical building disciplines, as per specialization of scholarly courses and primary abilities of the subject.
Eligibility Criteria to Study Transportation Engineering
The eligibility criteria for undergraduate and postgraduate courses for Transportation Engineering is more or less the same. Here is a detailed list of both.
- For UG courses, candidate must have completed their 12th standard from a recognised school or board with minimum 50%
- For PG courses, candidate must have a bachelor’s degree in engineering or any other equivalent courses from a recognised instituiton.
- In terms of foriegn university, the candidate is also required to submit their enligh proficeincy test scores.
- Entrance examinations are also held in some cases.
Popular Courses in Transporation Engineering
There are numerous courses available in Transportation Engineering, check out the list of courses from UG to doctorate level.
- BEng (Hons) Civil and Transportation Engineering with Foundation Year
- Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering – Transportation Engineering
- BEng Hons. Future Transport and Engineering
- MSc/PgDip/PgCert Transport Engineering and Planning
- Master of Science in Highways and Transport Engineering
- Master of Applied Science in Civil Engineering – Transportation Engineering
- Doctor of Philosophy- Transport Engineering
- Doctor of Philosophy in Civil Engineering – Transport Engineering
Top Universities for Transportaion Engineering
While applying for abroad education, it is crucial to gain insights of various top universities providing different courses amongst various domains. Here is a list of top universities offering transportation engineering courses.
- The University of Queensland.
- University of Leeds.
- The University of Auckland.
- Cardiff University.
- University of Technology Sydney
- University of Illinois – Urbana-Champaign
- North Carolina State University – Raleigh
- Colorado State University
- University of Alberta
- Monash University
Transportation Engineering Syllabus & Subjects
To understand the answer of what is Transportation Engineering, you must first have a look at the subjects covered in this particular field of study. GIven below are some of them:
|Environmental Engineering||Water Resources Engineering||Hydraulic Engineering|
|Urban Engineering||Transportation engineering||Materials Engineering|
|Land development||Structural engineering||Geotechnical Engineering|
|Coastal and Ocean Engineering||Construction Engineering||Fire protection engineering|
|Irrigation Engineering||Bridge Engineering||General Engineering|
Now that you know what is Transportation Engineering, its time to explore the careers it has to offer. Transportation Engineering includes town planning architectural engineering, the pavement of bridges which makes for an exciting career in this field. There are various other career options as well. In this section, you will be able to access details regarding career paths in transports:
- City transport engineer
- Traffic engineering consultant
- Transport professor
- Bridge engineer
- Architectural engineer
- Hydrographic engineers
- Research hydraulic engineers
- Structural engineers
- Geotechnical engineers
Popular Job Profiles
A bridge engineer performs a set of duties which includes pavement of bridges, sample check of material, planning, designing and maintenance of information regarding the bridge architecture samples. They are frequently available at building locales to oversee and screen building progress. However, a minimum of bachelor’s degree is needed to become a bridge engineer. Other than this, a strong command over Maths and Physics.
Architectural specialists assess and test building frameworks and development plans. A four-year bachelor’s education is required to work in this field. A few employers require structural specialists to turn into a licenced proficient engineer. These engineers should assess proposed electrical frameworks to guarantee security and evaluate window costs. Experts in this field regularly work in an office setting exploring blueprints. They make a trip to a building site to investigate foundation, supportive networks and designs.
Hydrographic engineers use cutting edge innovation to deliver itemized plans of seabeds, harbours and waterways. They measure and guide submerged surfaces and study the development of the seabed, indicating the depth, shape and forms. They have some expertise in the exact dwelling, the information obtaining and preparing in inland or seaward marine conditions.
Traffic Engineering Consultant
Traffic engineering consultant is transportation engineers who specialize in authority in the plan and upkeep of safe streets and highways. They figure out what sorts of highways are needed to make traffic streamlined and afterwards locate the most prudent approaches to construct and look after them. A minimum of bachelor’s degree in transportation engineering or civil engineering is required to become a traffic engineering consultant.
Got your answer to – What is Transportation Engineering? Want to know more about such unique courses? then read our blog on Engineering Branches!
We hope you understood what transportation engineering is! If you are looking forward to pursuing transport engineering as a career option abroad, then do contact our professional team at Leverage Edu who will guide you through the most suitable options.