Be it NCERT Psychology class 12th or Biology Class 11, the NCERT books are quite popular in the CBSE curriculum. Not only are they simple and lucid to read but they also build a strong foundation of the subject. Furthermore, these books also give you a basic outline of the topics to be covered. Out of the many, the NCERT Biology class 11 also holds a significant place. Covering various facets of different branches of Biology, It describes and discusses all the topics in detail giving the students many insights and even the content which would be required by them to get through various Medical entrance exams like NEET, JIPMER, AIIMS, etc. Read on to know more about the contents of the book!
This Blog Includes:
What does the NCERT Biology Class 11 Book Entail?
NCERT Biology Class 11 is divided into 5 sections which are called the units. These units come with different weightage of marks. Furthermore, it comes with multiple exercises and solutions at the end of all chapters. Therefore, it is recommended to refer to this book as it acts as a guideline for the preparation of different competitive exams like medical entrance exams, UPSC exams, etc. Enlisted are the 5 units that are elaborated in this guide:
- Diversity in the Living World
- Structural Organisation in Plants and Animals
- Cell-Structure and Functions
- Plant Physiology
- Human Physiology
Units and Chapters
There are about 22 chapters in the NCERT Biology Class 11 book which shed light on various facets of the field like Cell Cycle, Anatomy, Digestion, Mineral Nutrition, etc. Tabulated below are the units wise chapters:
|Units in NCERT Biology Class 11||Chapters|
|Diversity in Living World||1. Living World
2. Biological Classification
3. Plant and Animal Kingdom
|Structural Organisation in Plants and Animals||1. Morphology of Flowering Plants
2. Anatomy of Flowering Plants
3. Organisation in Animals
|Cell-Structure and Functions||1. Cell
3. Cell Cycle & Division
|Plant Physiology||1. Transport
2. Mineral Nutrition
5. Plant Development
|Human Physiology||Digestion, Absorption, Breathing, Circulation, Locomotion, and Chemical Coordination in Humans.|
NCERT Biology Class 11: Overview of the Chapters
Now that you are familiar with the units and chapters covered, let us understand the chapters of NCERT Biology class 11 in detail.
- The Living World – This talks about the biodiversity and the domains of life. Also, it gives you insights into the concepts of species and the vocabulary of various species.
- Biological Classification – It talks about the features of Monera, Protista, and Fungi and classifications of multiple groups.
- Plant Kingdom – It talks about the features of the plant kingdom. This NCERT Biology Class 11 chapter discusses Algae, Bryophyta, Pteridophyte, Gymnospermae, and Angiospermae.
- Animal Kingdom – It talks about the classification of animals. It explains non-chordates up to Phyta and chordates.
- Morphology of Flowering Plants – This chapter of NCERT Biology Class 11 discusses Morphology and modifications in various plant parts.
- Anatomy of Flowering Plants – Talks about different functions of different tissue systems and their anatomy.
- Structural Organisation in Animals – This chapter talks about animal tissues and functions and the anatomy of various systems of animals and insects.
- Cell- The Unit of Life – It talks about cell theory and the structure of different kinds of cells. Also, it talks about the different types of cells.
- Biomolecules – This chapter of NCERT Biology Class 11 talks about biomolecules, enzymes, proteins, etc.
- Cell Cycle and Cell Division– Covers cell cycles, mitosis, and meiosis.
- Transport in Plants – This chapter explains how water and other substances travel through plants and how the cell to cell movement of nutrients is made.
- Mineral Nutrition – This chapter talks about the essential macro and micronutrients and their roles in keeping our body healthy.
- Photosynthesis in Higher Plants – This chapter talks about autotrophic nutrition and pigments involved in the process of photosynthesis.
- Respiration in Plants – Talks about the exchange of gases and different kinds of respiration.
- Plant-Growth and Development – This chapter in the NCERT Biology Class 11 book talks about the phases of plant growth and the developmental processes that are involved.
- Digestion and Absorption – Talks about the various processes that go on inside the digestive system.
- Breathing and Exchange of Gases – Talks about respiration in animals and humans.
- Body Fluids and Circulation – This chapter in the NCERT Biology Class 11 book gives you a comprehensive understanding of the composition of blood and talks about the various components of blood and how it is circulated through our bodies.
- Excretory Products and Their Elimination – Explains the different modes of excretion and the regulation of the kidney.
- Locomotion and Movement – This chapter talks about the different kinds of movements and the muscular and skeletal systems.
- Neural Control and Coordination – This chapter discusses in detail the intricacies and the working of the nervous system.
- Chemical Coordination and Integration– This chapter talks about different endocrine glands and hormones.
Hence, the NCERT Biology class 11 is very detailed and builds a strong conceptual understanding of various topics. For your future education plans, consult the experts at Leverage Edu who will help you choose the right career options, and will also provide assistance in completing the application formalities to take admission in universities abroad.