Mechanical engineering is an interdisciplinary degree that teaches students how to use analysis and computer-aided design to create or enhance mechanical and thermal equipment. Engineering schools teach students how to develop new processes and products by teaching and how to solve problems ranging from minor component designs to enormously huge plants, machinery, or vehicles. The United Kingdom is home to some of the finest mechanical engineering universities and courses in the world. Let’s explore why you should pursue mechanical engineering in UK with top universities, courses and much more!
|Number of Mechanical Engineering Colleges in the UK||59+ (approx.)|
|Mechanical Engineering Cost in the UK||1st Year Average Tuition Fee – INR 24.10 lakhAverage Living Expenses – INR 5.89 lakh per year|
|Top Specializations||Mechanical Engineering|
|Admission Process||IELTS Score + Statement of Purpose (SOP) + Letter of Recommendation (LORs)|
This Blog Includes:
- About Mechanical Engineering in the UK
- Why Study Mechanical Engineering in the UK?
- Popular Mechanical Engineering Courses in UK
- Top Universities
- Cost of Studying
- Jobs and Salary
About Mechanical Engineering in the UK
Mechanical engineering, dubbed “the mother of all engineering disciplines,” is one of the most popular undergraduate choices in the UK and abroad. The discipline employs engineering, physics, engineering mathematics, and materials science principles to consistently and reliably design, operate, analyze, create, and repair industrial systems. The course will offer a 21st-century engineer the fundamental and advanced engineering knowledge as well as the hands-on skill set required to solve technical complex issues using a multidisciplinary, inventive, and strategic approach. This course is designed for students from both the United States and abroad, with a focus on professionals working in general engineering and technical/management fields, as well as those who want to work in these fields.
Why Study Mechanical Engineering in the UK?
- The University of Bath, University of Leeds, and Imperial College of Lond are among the top 50 universities in the world that offer mechanical engineering courses.
- Within six months of graduating with a mechanical engineering degree, more than 70% of students are hired.
- Around 60% of the graduates who were hired worked in engineering and construction.
- The unemployment rate in the UK is about 3.8 % which means finding work and internships is relatively easy as compared to other countries.
- The acceptance rate for Visas is around 90.08 % which is a decent number. This shows that landing in the United Kingdom is significantly easier than arriving in the United States or other countries.
Also Read: Journalism Courses in UK
Popular Mechanical Engineering Courses in UK
Following are the top popular mechanical engineering courses in the UK:
|BEng Mechanical Engineering||MSc Engineering with Management|
|BEng Mechanical and Electrical Engineering||MSc Nuclear Science and Engineering|
|BEng Engineering Design with Study in Industry||MSc Advanced Composites|
|BEng in Mechanical Engineering with a Year in Industry||MSc Robotics|
You can study mechanical engineering in the UK at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels. Every university has different eligibility criteria based on course and specialisation. Here are some of the common eligibility requirements for mechanical engineering in the UK:
- A-level: Grades AAA in Mathematics, Physics, and one other subject.
- GCSE: Applicants must show that they have a comprehensive general education, which includes:
- Five GCSEs/IGCSE at Grades A*-C or 9-4.
- International Baccalaureate:35 points overall with 6,6,5 in Higher Level subjects.
- The course-specific requirements are 35 points overall with 6, 6, 5 at a Higher Level in Mathematics, Physics, and one other subject.
- English language: All applicants to the University (from the United Kingdom and abroad) must demonstrate English language proficiency. The following is the minimal English language requirement for this course:
- GCSE/IGCSE English Language grade C/4, or;
- IELTS 6.0 overall with no sub-test below 5.5 or equivalent or;
- An acceptable equivalent qualification.
- Equivalent Bachelor’s Degree with a minimum of 65% from any recognized institutes.
- You must have an excellent command of the English language, with average scores of:
- Good knowledge of mathematics is required, especially topics including algebra, complex mathematics, geometry, and trigonometry.
- Curriculum Vitae/Resume.
- Recommendation letter. Most universities require a minimum of two letters of recommendation. Professional LORs are always preferable over academic LORs.
Also Read: Master of Architecture in UK
Wondering how you can be a part of top-ranked universities offering mechanical engineering in UK? Attend the Uniconnect Virtual Fair by Leverage Edu and get a chance to directly apply to your dream university with us. Register Now!
|University||QS Ranking (by subject) 2022||QS Ranking (Overall) 2023|
|University Of Cambridge||2||3|
|Imperial College London||3||2|
|University Of Manchester||8||7|
|University Of Bristol||21||27|
|University Of Glasgow||37||8|
|University Of Southampton||66||16|
|University Of Leeds||85||77|
|University Of Bath||108||92|
|University Of Liverpool||110||95|
Top Universities for Mechanical Engineering with Placements
Did you know there are many universities in the UK that offer mechanical engineering with campus placements? Check out the list of top UK universities for mechanical engineering with placements:
- Swansea University
- Glasgow Caledonian University
- University of Central Lancashire
- Queen’s University Belfast
- University of Strathclyde
- Bournemouth University
- Coventry University
- De Montfort University
- University of Huddersfield
- Staffordshire University
Top Publicly Funded Universities in the UK for Mechanical Engineering
|Universities||1st Year Course Fee (INR )|
|University of East London||19.0 Lakhs|
|Teesside University||16.0 Lakhs|
|Coventry University||28.3 Lakhs|
|University of Greenwich||20.6 Lakhs|
|University of Hertfordshire||13.6 Lakhs|
|University of Manchester||24.3 Lakhs|
|University of Birmingham||33.7 Lakhs|
|University of Cambridge||34.3 Lakhs|
|University of Leeds||30.8 Lakhs|
|Birmingham City University||20.8 Lakhs|
Also Read: Two-Year MBA Programs in UK
Cost of Studying
The majority of UK colleges offer engineering programmes at reasonable tuition costs. The best universities in the UK for mechanical engineering programmes can be found by applicants.
- The average annual fee for mechanical engineering in the UK is INR 24.10 lakh. Based on the colleges that are listed on the website, the calculation is made.
- In the UK, the annual cost of living is INR 5.89 lakh. Based on 253 colleges throughout the UK, the average cost of living there is calculated.
Jobs and Salary
Students have a variety of possibilities after completing their mechanical engineering degree in the UK. Jaguar Land Rover, Babcock Marine, BAE Systems Inc., Dyson, Cobham PLC, Siemens, and others are among the top recruiters. The following are some of the most common designations for mechanical engineering graduates along with their average pay scales:
|Designation||Average Salary(in GBP/Year)|
|Automotive Assembler||65,000(6.54 lakhs INR)|
|Diesel Engine Specialist||67,200(6.7 lakhs INR)|
|Automotive Project Engineer||89,500(9 lakhs INR)|
|Aerospace Technician||110,000(11 lakhs INR)|
|Aerospace Engineer||129,000(12.97 lakhs INR)|
|Mechanical Design Engineer||121,000(12 lakhs INR)|
|Mechanical Engineer||114,000(11,47 lakhs INR)|
|Mechanical Inspector||113,000(11,36 lakhs INR)|
The BEng in mechanical engineering takes three years to complete, while the MEng in mechanical engineering requires four years.
Many sectors have a need for mechanical engineers. The oil industry offers some of the highest-paying mechanical engineering positions, and for ambitious graduates, mechatronics engineering is one of the most cutting-edge specialities.
If you want to start your career in the UK, Manchester is the best place to go because it has a greater industrial base than the rest of the country.
Are you planning to study mechanical engineering in the UK? Our experts at Leverage Edu will help you from the application to the Visa process. Call us at 1800 57 2000 to book your FREE 30-minute counselling session today!