Harvard Medical School (HMS) is Harvard University‘s graduate medical school located in Boston, Massachusetts. It was founded in 1782 and is one of America’s oldest medical schools. Ranked #1 among research-oriented medical institutions, Harvard is known for its competitive medical courses across the world. Want to kickstart your medical career with Harvard University’s MBBS program? Then here’s your guide for 2022!
|Year of Establishment||1817|
|TOEFL||90 to 100|
|IELTS||6.5 to 7.0|
|Acceptance Rate||2.5 %|
|Financial Aid and Scholarships||Available|
This Blog Includes:
- All About Harvard Medical School
- Harvard Medical School Acceptance Rate
- Harvard Medical School MBBS Admission Process
- Application Process
- Documents Required
- Harvard University MBBS Fees for Indian Students
- Application Deadlines
- Harvard Medical School Scholarships
All About Harvard Medical School
- Harvard Medical School (HMS) is Harvard University’s graduate medical school, located in Boston, Massachusetts. HMS has a long and illustrious history, and its faculty has been at the forefront of key medical breakthroughs and advancements.
- HMS’s distinctive curriculum, which emphasizes cooperation, research, diversity, and practical experience, prepares students to become top-notch medical professionals.
- It also encourages students to take advantage of Harvard University’s extensive resources, which include more than 200 elective courses and six dual-degree programs.
- Harvard Medical School has an amazing 13.1:1 faculty-to-student ratio, with 712 students (51 % female / 49 % male) and 9298 full-time faculty members.
- The faculty takes pleasure in its commitment to students, inviting them to participate in research projects in addition to clinical practice regularly.
- Harvard Medical School is known for its sense of community and teamwork. The program begins with a one-week “Introduction to the Profession” course and concludes with a white coat ceremony in which students repeat a self-composed oath in front of family and friends.
- All students are assigned to one of five Academic Societies upon admission, which serves as the advising system. The Academic Societies are a group-based advising structure that includes senior faculty, students from various class years, and a program coordinator.
- Students can rely on their Academic Society for direction as well as community – each society organizes a series of enrichment sessions throughout the year.
Harvard Medical School Acceptance Rate
You’re not alone in trying to figure out how to get into Harvard Medical School. HMS is one of the country’s most competitive medical schools. In the 2019-2020 academic year, 168 out of 6,708 candidates were accepted, representing a 2.5 % acceptance rate.
Harvard Medical School MBBS Admission Process
You’ll need an unusually high GPA, particularly in science, to be considered for admission to the country’s premier medical school. You’ll also want to make certain that your MCAT score is as high as possible. Admissions students had a 3.9 average GPA and a 519.06 average MCAT score. Although a precise GPA or MCAT score is not required by Harvard, you should aim to match these figures as nearly as possible to keep up with your peers. You must meet the following qualifying criteria for Harvard Medical School, in addition to maintaining good grades and studying carefully for the exam:
Also Read: All About PhD at Harvard University
The following are the eligibility requirements for Indian students to attend Harvard Medical School for pursuing an MBBS:
- Minimum 85% in State board 10+2 level
- Minimum 70% in CBSE/ ICSE levels
- As a pre-medical course, a bachelor’s degree in biology, chemistry, or an area connected to medicine is required.
- MCAT and NEET test scores
- Proof of English proficiency
English Proficiency Requirement
Because the MBBS program at Harvard University is taught entirely in English, international students must demonstrate proficiency in the language. One of the following test scores could be used to do this:
Selection Factors for MBBS at Harvard Medical School
Harvard Medical School admits only a small percentage of applicants. They are looking for kids with integrity and maturity who are concerned about others, have leadership potential, and can work well with others. The Committee on Admissions considers a variety of factors while evaluating applicants, including the following:
- Academic records
- Applicant essays
- MCAT scores
- Letters of evaluation
- Extracurricular activities
- Summer occupations
- Work experience
- Health-related experiences, such as study or community service
Also Read: Harvard University Notable Alumni
- An application can be submitted online through Harvard Medical School’s official website.
- Start filling up the application and add your educational and personal information.
- All relevant papers must be submitted to Harvard Medical School for verification and evaluation. Whether candidates are accepted, denied, or waitlisted, all admission decisions are emailed on the same day.
- Candidates who have been accepted or are awaiting admission are sent financial aid documents.
- Official academic transcripts
- Scanned copy of the passport
- CV/ Resume
- Letter of Recommendation
- English language proficiency test scores
- Statement of Purpose
- Two Reference Letters
Harvard University MBBS Fees for Indian Students
|Expense||USD (Per annum)||INR (Per annum)|
|Tuition Fees||40,000 – 52,000||30 Lacs – 39 Lacs|
|Boarding & Other Expenses||Appx.24,000||Appx.18 Lacs|
|After financial aid, the annual average cost of attendance||15,000 – 30,000||11 – 22 Lacs|
The Harvard Medical School application process is as follows:
|Early June||AMCAS Application available for submission|
|Early July||Harvard Medical School Secondary Application opens|
Harvard Medical School Scholarships
Indian students planning to study MBBS at Harvard University are eligible for various scholarships. Here are some of the popular scholarships and financial aids:
Dean’s REACH Scholarship Award Program
Given the high costs of acquiring a medical degree, Harvard Medical School makes every effort to ensure that all applicants who are approved can afford to attend. The Dean’s REACH Scholarship is a four-year need-based scholarship intended to support a select number of new MD students who exhibit Resilience, Excellence, Achievement, Compassion, and a dedication to helping the underprivileged.
General Restricted Scholarships
Certain endowed scholarship monies at HMS are shared with other University entities. These multi-school funds are managed by the Harvard University Committee on General Scholarships. On the basis of the information provided on the Restricted Fund Survey completed in the fall of each year, the HMS Financial Aid Office will suggest qualified HMS Scholarship candidates for these monies.
Resident Tutor Policy
As part of their pay for their employment as a Resident Tutor for Harvard College, students receive free lodging and a free meal plan. This in-kind pay will be considered a financial assistance resource and included in a student’s financial aid package. The resident tutor resource will typically be equal to one-half of the annual HMS housing components of the cost of attendance budget.
MD-PhD financing often covers the majority, if not all, of the expenses in a typical budget. The majority of students who get this assistance do not apply for extra financial aid. Students who find that their MD-PhD financing falls short of their standard budget might apply for student loans to cover the difference. This is usually done with funds from the Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan Program.
HMS is among the most competitive medical schools. It has an acceptance rate of almost 2.5 % acceptance rate.
6.5 to 7.0 is the IELTS requirement for Harvard Medical School.
The minimum GPA requirement for admission to Harvard Medical School is 3.9.
Want to study MBBS at Harvard University? Connect with our experts at Leverage Edu and kickstart your study abroad journey. Call us at 1800 57 2000 to book your FREE counselling session today.