Do you want to build a career in the field of research and development? Do you want to dive deeper into the pool of innovation and find out things that have not been discovered yet? Are you a B.Pharma student interested in a postgraduate program in Pharmacy? Then, a Masters in Pharmacy is an ideal course to go for. To get admission to MPharm programs in top pharmacy colleges in India, candidates can appear for the GPAT exam. Through this blog, we will explore the key essentials of the GPAT exam, its important exam dates, eligibility criteria and syllabus and more!.
|Name of the Exam||Graduate Pharmacy Aptitude Test|
|Conducting Body||National Testing Agency (NTA)|
|Purpose||M. Pharma programs|
|Exam Duration||3 hours|
|Exam Date||February 2022|
|Exam Timings||9 am to 12 pm or
3pm to 6pm
|Exam Result||March 2022|
|Score Card Validity||3 years|
|Number of Questions||125|
|Type Of Questions||MCQs|
|Correct Answer||4 marks per question|
This Blog Includes:
- GPAT Exam
- GPAT Scholarship
- GPAT Exam Centres
- Important Dates for GPAT Exam 2022
- Eligibility Criteria
- GPAT 2022 Exam Pattern
- GPAT 2022 Marking Scheme
- GPAT 2022 Registration
- GPAT 2022 Application Form
- GPAT Result 2021
- GPAT Exam Stats
- Special Facilities for GPAT Exam
- GPAT Counselling 2022
- GPAT Exam: Syllabus
- How to prepare for GPAT 2022
- Top M Pharmacy Colleges in India
GPAT stands for Graduate Pharmacy Aptitude Test and is a national level entrance exam affiliated with the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD). The aim to select candidates for M.Pharm and equivalent programs offered at Indian institutions. It was initially organized by the All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) till 2017 after which the National Testing Agency (NTA) started conducting the GPAT exam. The scorecard for the GPAT exam is accepted by over 800 Indian universities as well as the institutions/constituent colleges/university departments approved by AICTE.
Also Read About: NIPER JEE 2021
The GPAT Scholarship 2020-2021 is offered by AICTE to give financial assistance to candidates enrolled in full-time masters programmes for Pharmacy courses. In order to be eligible for the scholarship, all applicants must have a valid GPAT scorecard and be full-time first-year student enrolled in M. Pharmacy programmes in 2021.
Award: Candidates are awarded a monthly stipend of Rs 12,000 per month for two years.
Candidates can apply for the scholarship before the deadline. The essential documents for application are-
- GATE/GPAT scorecard (Scanned)
- Bank passbook (Scanned)
- Scanned copy of Aadhaar card (Students from J&K, Meghalaya and Assam are exempted)
- Scanned copy of caste certificate
- Scanned copy of the Non-Creamy Layer (NCL) certificate, not more than a year old (only for OBC candidates)
GPAT Exam Centres
GPAT is a national-level entrance exam conducted for master’s programs in pharmacy offered by innumerable colleges for Pharma in India. The 2021 exam was conducted in all Indian states and cities with 271 exam centers.
Important Dates for GPAT Exam 2022
Though the GPAT exam is conducted in the online mode, the candidates need to take the test at the nearest exam center allotted by the NTA. The below-mentioned table below elucidates the important dates and notifications of this test that you need to keep in mind before beginning your preparation for the exam.
|GPAT 2022 Application Starts||4th Week of December 2022|
|Application Deadline||4th Week of January 2022|
|Document Upload and Application Fee Deadline||4th Week of January 2022|
|Last Date to Select Examination City||1st Week of February 2022|
|Availability of Admit Card||2nd Week of February 2022|
|GPAT Examination Date||4th Week of February 2022|
|Declaration of GPAT Result 2022||1st Week of March 2022|
Whenever you appear for an entrance exam, you need to have a basic idea of what would be required out of you or if you are eligible to appear for the exam. Similarly, AICTE has also specified some prerequisites for students planning to apply for this test. For taking the GPAT exam, here is a list of eligibility requirements you need to fulfil:
- The candidates applying for this exam must be from the Indian subcontinent and enlisted as a citizen of India.
- You must have a bachelor’s degree in the field of Pharmacy. Hence, you must have completed 16 years of education i.e. 10+2 and 4 years of graduation.
- The candidates who are in the final year of their undergraduate course in Pharmacy (BPharm) can also appear for the GPAT exam.
- Those who are enrolled or have completed B.Tech in the field of Pharmaceutical and Chemical Technology, and its equivalent are not eligible to appear for the GPAT exam.
GPAT 2022 Exam Pattern
GPAT exam is an online computer-based test conducted every year for admissions to various masters courses in pharmacy across India. It contains 125 MCQs from subjects related to bachelors in pharmacy. Let’s look at the GPAT exam pattern in detail for the upcoming exam-
|Purpose||Admissions to M.Pharma programmes|
|Type of Questions||Multiple Choice Questions|
|Correct Answer||4 marks|
Section-Wise GPAT Exam Pattern
GPAT 2022 Marking Scheme
The marking scheme used in the GPAT test is detailed below.
- Marks per right question: 4 marks are given to each correct answer.
- Negative Marking: One mark shall be deducted for every incorrect response
- Questions unanswered: no marks given.
Note: Candidates can visit the official GPAT website to scroll the grading scheme, which will assist them calculate the likely marks when the answer key has been released.
GPAT 2022 Registration
All candidates have to apply for GPAT-2021 Online through the official website. Candidates have to fill out the application form, upload scanned documents, pay the fees and submit it before the last day of registration. Applications submitted after the last day will not be accepted. Candidates can make corrections to the application form after the submission but before the last date of correction.
GPAT 2022 Application Form
All candidates should have certain documents and information handy while filling out the GPAT 2021 application form.
- Valid government ID proof
- Date of Birth (Class X certificate)
- Educational Qualification details
- Scanned Passport size
- Scanned copy of the signature
- PWD certificate
- Email ID and Mobile number
- Debit Card/Credit Card/Net bank details for payment of exam fees
How to Apply?
- All aspirants must apply for Online Registration by using their own email Id and mobile no.
- Fill out the online application form and write the generated application number.
- Upload scanned images of photograph and candidate’s signature
- Upload PWD certificate
- Recheck all the details and Pay the Fees
GPAT Exam Fees
|General||Male- Rs 2000||Female- Rs 1000|
|Gen-EWS/ SC/ST/PwD /OBC-(NCL)||Male- Rs 1000||Female- Rs 1000|
GPAT Admit Card
The GPAT admit card was released online before the commencement of the GPAT exam. An admit card contains all the details of the candidate, exam centre, timings and date of the exam. It is used as a hall ticket for entry into the exam and all candidates are required to carry the admit card to the centre.
GPAT Result 2021
GPAT Result was released on 19th March 2021. A total number of 47942 candidates registered for this examination and 45504 candidates appeared for the examination. All candidates have to download the scorecard from the official website. Passing GPAT does not qualify candidates for admissions to M.Pharma colleges, candidates have to meet the set cut-off by the colleges and appear for any further group discussion and personal interview held by the particular colleges.
GPAT 2021 Cut off
GPAT 2021 Merit List
GPAT Exam Stats
On January 27, 2020, NTA published statistics on the number of applicants who had registered for GPAT 2020 on their official website. As a result, we have compiled some data from the previous year, which are included in the table below.
|Number of Registered Candidates||50,975|
|Number of Candidates Appeared in the exam||48,360|
|Number of Qualified Candidates||4,913|
Note: The GPAT 2021 test was completed on January 27, 2021 (3:00 PM to 6:00 PM), and the NTA has yet to disclose the exam stats for the year 2021.
Also Read: How to Become a Pharmacist in India 2021
Special Facilities for GPAT Exam
The following special facilities are available during the GPAT exam for candidates classed as physically disabled, visually impaired, etc.
|Disability category of the candidate||Facility granted||To be arranged by|
|Visually Impaired||Screen/Font Magnification||Test centre|
|Visually Impaired||Abacus without calculator||Candidates|
|Visually Impaired/ Cerebral Pal||Scribe/Reader||Candidates/test centre|
|Locomotor Disability||Wheel Chair||Candidates|
|Hearing Impaired||Hearing aid machine||Candidates|
GPAT Counselling 2022
Universities and Institutes accepting GPAT start the counselling session after the announcement of results. Remember, merely qualifying GPAT is not a guarantee of admission to any of the GPAT colleges. All those candidates who have qualified are eligible to apply and appear for further evaluation by GPAT colleges.
After qualifying for the exam, candidates can visit the official website GPAT and select the option of web entry and select your preferred colleges. Seat allotment is conducted on the basis of merit list and candidates’ scores, once the seats are allotted candidates have to visit the preferred for admissions along with relevant documents-
Here is the list of documents you must carry for admissions to GPAT colleges-
- GPAT Rank Card 2022
- GPAT Counselling Admit Card
- Any government approved identity card (Aadhar card, voter ID card)
- Recent passport size photographs
- 12th class mark sheet & 10th class mark sheet
- Character certificate
- Provisional Certificate
- Category Certificate for SC/ST/OBC candidates
- Domicile certificate
GPAT Exam: Syllabus
As the test is usually conducted online, the candidates need to appear for the GPAT exam in one sitting. The GPAT exam generally includes areas of study under the field of Medicine and Pharmacy. Most of these sub-disciplines are taken from the course syllabus of B.Pharm or its equivalent degree program. The following table enlists some of the major Medical Science subjects included in the syllabus of the exam.
|Physical Chemistry||Physical Pharmacy||Organic Chemistry|
|Clinical Pharmacy and
|Human Anatomy and
|Pharmaceutical and Engineering||Management and
Know everything about GPAT Syllabus Here!
How to prepare for GPAT 2022
Essential GPAT books
- The Pearson Guide to GPAT and Other Entrance Examination in Pharmacy by Akaberi Shah Baser
- GPAT: A Companion by Nazma N. Inamdar
- Compete Pharma (A Guide For Preparation Of GPAT/NIPER/BITS/CEEB/CET And Other Pharma Competitive Exams) by Tarun Kumar Das
- GPAT Cracker by Dr Sanjar Alam and others
- Introduction to the Pharmaceutical Sciences, By Nita K. Pandit.
- Aulton’s Pharmaceutics: The Design and Manufacture of Medicines
- Essentials of Physical Chemistry, B.S.Bahl, G.D.Tuli, S. Chand
- The Pearson Guide to GPAT by Umang Shah
- Chemicol: Concepts in Pharmacy – Most Relevant book for GPAT and NIPER by Deepanmol Singh
- Comprehensive Solution for GPAT/ NIPER by Mr. Krishan Bhardwaj, Dr. Avijit Mazumder, Dr. Sameer Rastogi, Dr. Praveen Gaur, Mrs. Nidhi Srivastava
Also Read: All About Medicine | Medical Jobs And Degree
Here are Some Tips and Tricks for Preparing for the GPAT Exam 2022
- Cover the syllabus thoroughly and study the exam pattern before starting your preparation.
- Another tip on how to prepare for GPAT is to study the questions papers and take mock tests to figure out the types of questions and pattern of the exam. Click here to get the recent question papers.
- Another important tip on how to prepare is to focus on the bachelors syllabus for Pharmacy and stick to the given reference books. Try to cover limited books thoroughly.
- Stay focused and try to maintain a healthy diet while preparing for the GPAT entrance exam 2022. Click here for the list of subject-wise books for GPAT 2022.
Top M Pharmacy Colleges in India
|1||National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research, Mohali|
|2||Jamia Hamdard, New Delhi|
|3||University Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Chandigarh|
|4||Jadavpur University, Kolkata|
|5||Institute of Chemical Technology, Mumbai|
|6||Department of Pharmaceutics, IIT BHU, Varanasi|
|7||Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda, Vadodara|
|8||National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research, Hyderabad|
|9||Andhra University, Vishakhapatnam|
|10||Rashtrasant Tukadoji Maharaj Nagpur University, Nagpur|
|11||University College of Pharmaceutical Science, Kakatiya University, Warangal|
|12||School of Pharmacy, Devi Ahilya Vishwavidyalaya, Indore|
|13||Dibrugarh University, Dibrugarh|
|14||Dr. Harisingh Gour Vishwavidyalaya, Sagar|
|15||Government College of Pharmacy, Bengaluru|
|16||Maharshi Dayanand University, Rohtak1|
|17||National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research, Raebareli|
|18||National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research, Ahmedabad|
|19||National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research, Kolkata|
|20||Manipal College of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Manipal|
GPAT stands for Graduate Pharmacy Aptitude Test and is a national level entrance exam. The aim to select candidates for MPharm and equivalent programs offered at Indian institutions.
Candidates who have a bachelor’s degree in the field of Pharmacy are eligible for the exam. Candidates must have completed 16 years of education i.e. 10+2 and 4 years of graduation.
GPAT is one of the major exams for MPharm courses and programmes in India. It is conducted by the AICTE.
There are no age limitations or limits on an attempts when it comes to GPAT.
To M Pharma abroad, candidates must meet the basic eligibility criteria set by the chosen university and may have to appear for entrance tests like IELTS, TOEFL & GRE.
Check out: Masters in Pharmacy in Canada!
Hence, we hope that this blog helped you understand what the GPAT exam is, its key dates as well as the syllabus you need to cover in order to appear for the test. If you are planning to pursue your MPharm degree abroad and don’t know where to start, take the help of Leverage Edu’s AI tool to browse through universities offering this postgraduate course across the globe and find the right one that aligns with your interests and career aspirations.