From shortlisting the right educational institute and searching for a well-fit course to applying for it and fulfilling the post-admission formalities, it takes a lot out of applicants and even if you are done with all of these there might be a chance where you can be short of one or two documents which can eventually lead to your application getting rejected. To avoid such a situation we have come to your rescue and in this blog, we have provided you with all the details about the documents required for applying to German Universities. While the requirements for applying to German Universities for Indian students are similar to those adopted by institutions in other countries there are slight tweaks here and there. Let’s have a look at those.
This Blog Includes:
- Latest Update
- How to Apply to German Universities?
- Documents Required for Applying to Undergraduate Courses in German Universities
- Documents Required for Applying to Postgraduate Courses in German Universities
- List of Important Documents
- Top Universities in Germany
Germany has opened slots for student visa appointment from 1st November. Read more.
How to Apply to German Universities?
The application process to study in Germany is quite a simplified one. Below we have detailed this process starting from opting for a program to getting admission into your chosen university.
1. Choose a Program & University: The first step to fulfil your dream to study in Germany is to research the programs available in your field of interest and the top universities offering them.
2. Check the Requirements & Eligibility Criteria: Once you have selected a program as well as a university, the next thing is to go through the prescribed eligibility criteria and other requirements. Gather all the required documents like academic transcripts, entrance test scores (if any), ID or passport, an SOP as well as LORs (if required).
3. Ensure that you have the Requisite Finances: While applying for a German student visa, you will be asked to provide proof that you have the required finances to study in Germany. Generally, applicants have to provide that they have access to somewhere around 8,700 EUR [roughly 7,73,317 INR] per year which will cover your living costs though it would largely depend on the lifestyle and spending habits of the individual.
4. Send your Application to the Chosen University: Before sending your application to the university, you must recheck all the requirements and documents needed to complete the application process. You can either apply directly on the university website or there is a centralized admissions portal run by DAAD where you can apply for multiple courses though it is not for all the universities. Admissions are conducted by German universities twice a year, i.e. Winter or Summer semester.
5. Apply for a Student Visa: Once you have got the acceptance letter, you must purchase health insurance which will be needed for the application for the student visa.
Documents Required for Applying to Undergraduate Courses in German Universities
The requirement of various documents changes depending on the university you’re applying to. Aside from minor variations, these are the major document requirements for applying for a Bachelor’s degree in Germany:
- Certificate of High School qualifications
- Your grade cards from previous education
- Proof of your Entrance Qualification
- Proof of German language proficiency
- Motivation letter or references (optional)
- Copies of ID documents
Documents Required for Applying to Postgraduate Courses in German Universities
The main requirement for admission to a master in Germany is a suitable Bachelors degree. This doesn’t have to have been awarded in Germany, but it needs to be recognized by the German university you apply to.
In some cases, universities may set additional entry requirements. These can include:
- Details of your secondary education – Some very competitive programs may wish to see further details of an international student’s educational history. This normally takes the form of a ‘school-leaving certificate’, equivalent to the German Hochschulzugangsberechtigung. Certificates such as British GCSEs or A-levels (or their equivalents) will normally be fine.
- An interview – German universities may want to discuss your application and experience. Video interviews can sometimes be arranged for international students.
- Entry tests – Competitive (or specialized) programs may ask you to take an additional entrance exam or standardized postgraduate admissions test. This can be used in professional subjects to check your existing training. Business schools and MBA programs are also likely to require a score from recognized tests such as the GMAT or GRE.
List of Important Documents
Here are the details of the basic essential documents that are required when applying for German universities.
All students are required to have a passport if they wish to study abroad. The passport should be valid for at least 3 years at the time of visa application.
Marksheets and Certificates of Graduation
Copies of necessary mark sheets and pass certificates must also be provided by students. For example, Indian students seeking master’s degrees must submit their 10th and 12th-grade marks, as well as all semester grades and passing certificates. At least one (and occasionally two) sets of copies are required for each application. Attestation is required for all copies.
Letters of Recommendation (LOR)
Letters of Recommendation are one of the most significant documents required for admission for studying in German Universities. A letter of recommendation (LOR) must be provided by one of your professors or supervisors and should highlight your academic or professional abilities, accomplishments, and experience. Students are required to submit at least two letters of recommendation.
Also Read: Documents Required for Admission in Canada
Statement of Purpose (SOP)
The statement of Purpose allows you to express why you wish to study at the university and what is your aim for the future. Universities focus entirely on SOPs to learn about the applicant, their aspirations, and how they can contribute to the university.
Scores on the German/English Proficiency Test
Proficiency in German and/or English is one of the major requirements to Study in Germany for Indian Students. Scores of IELTS/TOEFL/PTE exams can be used as evidence to prove English language proficiency. Further, a certificate of the German language or any other recognized test that attests to the level of proficiency in it can also be used. Moreover, knowing a bit of the German language beforehand helps you in gelling up with the study environment.
Scorecards for Entrance Exams
Another document required when applying for German universities is your exam scorecard. In order to get admitted to a university in Germany, students are required to take specific entrance examinations. Before applying to the colleges of your choosing, make sure you check for the program you’re applying for and have your score ready.
This will include information about your goal, education, internships (if applicable), work experience (if applicable), milestone scores (yearly aggregates and final aggregates), projects completed during your undergraduate program (and during your internships/full-time job), and mention of co-curricular and extra-curricular activities.
Proof of Financial Resources
In order to be granted a Germany Student Visa, you will be asked to submit ‘Proof of Financial Resources’. This is an essential document required for applying to German universities. It is just a document that details how you wish to cover the cost of education in Germany. This can be done through several means, namely, a sponsorship letter from the university, loan documents, etc.
Once your application gets approved by the university, the next step is to apply for a student visa, which forms an essential component in the list of requirements to study in Germany for Indian students. Enlisted are the most important documents for obtaining a student visa to study in Germany:
- Admission Letter
- Language Proficiency Scorecard
- Health Insurance Coverage Certificate
- Financial Stability Proof
Top Universities in Germany
|University||THE Ranking (2022)|
|Technical University of Munich||43|
|Humboldt University of Berlin||74|
|Charité – Universitätsmedizin Berlin||80|
|University of Freiburg||86|
|University of Tübingen||91|
|RWTH Aachen University||99|
|University of Bonn||105|
|Free University of Berlin||117|
This was all about the documents required when applying for German Universities. Are you planning to study in Germany but not sure where to start from? Contact our Leverage Edu experts for end-to-end guidance from application to Visa process. Call us at 1800 57 2000 to book your FREE 30-minutes counselling session today.