New Zealand has come to the forefront as one of the top destinations to pursue higher education abroad. Their top-notch programs, world-class learning environment, global faculty and a unique education system has truly contributed towards making it a preferred study destination. Adding to this is their bachelor’s programmes are known across the world for their diverse specialisations and unique curriculum. So, if you are planning to pursue an undergraduate degree from abroad then studying a bachelors in New Zealand might be the right option for you. This blog brings you a complete guide on Bachelors in New Zealand, top courses, universities, requirements and more.
This Blog Includes:
Why Study in New Zealand?
While deciding the right institution to study abroad, there are many things that you need to consider. Most importantly, you must know what makes your chosen study destination unique from others. Let’s take a look at why New Zealand is a perfect choice for bachelor’s programs!
- New Zealand is known for its rich culture and how welcoming they are towards people from other countries. So, while doing your bachelors in New Zealand as an international student, you will not only get to experience a unique culture here but also the warm treatment that you will receive here will not let you feel like an outsider.
- The admission intake for bachelors in New Zealand is more open when to other countries. This means that the universities are open to admitting scores of international students with good academic backgrounds thus increasing your chances of getting selected for the course of your choice.
- The cost of living in New Zealand is comparatively lesser. It has relatively low housing rates as well as course fees thus making it an affordable option for bachelors abroad.
- New Zealand (NZ) work market has become stronger in recent years, driven by steady economic growth of about 3% every year. This means that you have more job opportunities to discover after graduation.
Top Bachelor’s Degrees in New Zealand
The universities in New Zealand offer a wide range of disciplines and specialisations across every field for bachelor’s programs. Here the best bachelor’s degrees in New Zealand 2021:
- Bachelor of Nursing (BN)
- Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS)
- Bachelor of Law (LLB)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) (B.E.)
- Bachelor of Advanced Science (Honours) (BSc)
- Bachelor of Design (BDes)
- Bachelor of Business (BBus)
- Bachelor of Software Engineering
- Bachelor of Agriculture
- Bachelor of Advanced Science (Honours) – Computer Science
- Bachelor of Hotel Management
- Bachelor of Applied Hospitality and Tourism Management
Top Universities for Bachelors in New Zealand
New Zealand is home to many of the top universities in the world. Once you have finalised the right undergraduate course, the next step is to explore the universities and colleges in New Zealand. Here are the top universities for bachelors programs in New Zealand 2021:
|University||QS World Rankings 2021|
|University of Auckland||#83|
|University of Otago||#176|
|Victoria University of Wellington||#215|
|University of Canterbury||#227|
|University of Waikato||#266|
|Auckland University of Technology||#447|
Cost of Studying in New Zealand
New Zealand has emerged as one of the top countries offering affordable programs to international students. The cost of studying in New Zealand for undergraduate students is also quite lesser than renowned destinations like the USA, UK, etc. Let’s take a look at the cost of studying a bachelors course in New Zealand:
- International students who are doing bachelors in New Zealand should expect to pay about NZ$22,000-32,000 (INR1,15,532-1,68,046) a year. Moreover, the cost of programs in Nursing or Biological Sciences can be slightly higher than this.
- The government offers scholarships worth NZ$12,000 (INR6,30,32l) to both first year international and domestic students.
- The accommodation is also quite economical for international students as residential apartments of universities cost around NZ$ 270 (INR 13,000) per week while you can find apartments on your own at approximately NZ$ 170 (INR 8,000) per week.
Requirements & Application Process
You cannot possibly get into your dream University unless you know everything there is to know about the admission procedure and all of their requirements. In order to apply for a bachelors in New Zealand, it is essential that you have completed 10+2 along with the New Zealand qualifications for your chosen course. Let’s first take a look at the key requirements you need to tick off in order to apply for an undergraduate program in New Zealand:
- Academic transcripts
- All the relevant test scores like TOEFL, IELTS, etc.
- Statement of Interest/Purpose
- Bank Statement proving your ability to cover your stay in New Zealand.
- A copy of your passport.
Here is an overview of the application process for bachelors in New Zealand:
- The first and the foremost step is to make a list of Universities which are offering the course of your choice. And visit the official website of all those universities and check when their admission portal opens.
- It’s always wiser to apply to several universities rather than just sticking to one because in that case you will have more probability of getting in.
- Then the next step is collecting all the necessary documents. Don’t wait for the last moment and keep a scanned copy of all the documents for online procedure and photocopies for offline mode.
- Fill the form as soon as the admission portal opens and submit all the necessary documents including your statement of purpose, LOR, etc.
- Wait for confirmation from the university that you have applied to. Keep a look at the official website of the University and constantly check your email so that you can reply back immediately.
- The moment you receive the confirmation letter, make sure to apply for a student visa. Because without a visa your dream of studying abroad will remain just a dream.
Scholarships for Bachelors in New Zealand
While planning to study in any foreign University, your financial situation can be tested a lot. Both the government of New Zealand and the specific University of New Zealand provide various Scholarship opportunities to their students. Here are the top scholarships for bachelors in New Zealand:
|Scholarship Name||Offered By|
|New Zealand International Undergraduate Scholarships||New Zealand Government|
|UC International First Year Scholarships||University of Canterbury|
|University of Auckland International Student Excellence Scholarship||University of Auckland|
|Tongarewa Scholarship at Victoria University of Wellington||Victoria University in Wellington|
|University of Waikato International Excellence Scholarships||University of Waikato|
Must Read: 10 Common Phrases Used in New Zealand
We hope that by now you all have all the information required to decide if you wish to do your bachelors in New Zealand or not. Now, making this decision is only the first step, you have a long read ahead of yourself before you can get enrolled in the University of your choice. But don’t worry because our experts are always there to help you out. If you have any queries regarding the admission procedure or the Scholarships, consult our experts at Leverage Edu. Sign up for a free session with us today!