Established in 1924, the Waikato Institute of Technology, popularly known as Wintec is one the top institutes of technology in New Zealand. Based in Hamilton, New Zealand, Wintec attracts around 20,000 students each year from across the globe. Wintec offers undergraduate and postgraduate degree and diploma programmes in various fields such as technology, engineering, business, science, hospitality, manufacturing, tourism, social services, health, sports, media, education etc.
Waikato Institute of Technology places a high degree of emphasis on building strong communities through research, education and career development. It works closely with employers, industry leaders and organisations to understand the pertaining demand of knowledge and skills required for its students to thrive in the dynamic world outside the university. Wintec takes pride in positively contributing to the regional and national economy through its students and staff.
Why study at Waikato Institute of Technology?
Though Wintec has a low world rank, it offers promising careers to its students from around the world through various courses, unique programmes and, favourable facilities.
- Wintec is one of New Zealand’s leading Institutes of technology. It has been recognised as a “Category1” education provider by the New Zealand Qualification Authority.
- Waikato Institute of Technology is a centre of internationally-recognised high-quality education. Wintec offers a wide variety of courses with certificates, diplomas, degrees and postgraduate qualifications. Wintec courses include 11 postgraduate qualifications, 10 degree programmes and 27 diplomas following fields:
- Information technology
- Primary industries
- Social services
- English language
- Creative industries
- Tutors for Wintec courses are professionals with in-depth knowledge of their respective field who impart knowledge among students through efficacious teaching that combines modern technology and world-class facilities.
- Wintec emphasises on providing a secure, comfortable and conducive environment to its students. It celebrates diversity and connects various communities, making it a place parents find safe for their children.
- Waikato Institute of Technology offers a dedicated International Centre to provide support to all its students. In addition to organising cultural events, the International Centre team assists students with accommodation, general advice etc to ensure that its students feel well-taken care of.
- Wintec courses focuses on active learning, enabling its students to get familiar with the kinds of situations they will come across after stepping out of the institute. Many of the programmes at Waikato Institute of Technology offers internships and other opportunities to gain practical experience, making its students work-ready.
- Wintec offers students who are still at secondary school a golden opportunity to get a glimpse of their career by joining Wintec’s STAR programme before enrolling in any full-time course.
- Under its Youth Guarantee programme, Waikato Institute of Technology brings learning to life for free. This is done through industry visits, hands-on activity and discussions with potential employers in each field of study.
- At Design Factory, a dedicated learning space for Wintec students, students work with people from different disciplines and centres to solve real-world problems. Moreover, Wintec’s Design Factory NZ is part of the Design Factory Global Network which brings students the opportunity to create a dynamic learning culture and eminent learning experiences.
Campuses of Wintec
- Waikato Institute of Technology has three main campuses in Hamilton, New Zealand:
- The main city site
- The City Campus is located in the heart of Hamilton’s CBD, near the Waikato River and easy access to shops and public transport.
- Rotokauri (formerly Avalon) in north Hamilton
- Located in the north of the city, Rotokauri Campus is where students learn in some of the best training facilities in New Zealand.
- The Hamilton Gardens horticultural campus
- The Gardens Campus of Wintec is where students study horticulture, floristry, arboriculture and landscape design and construction at the international award-winning Hamilton Gardens.
- The main city site
- Wintec also has three additional campuses in the Waikato region of New Zealand.
- Moreover, Wintec has three accommodation options for its students:
- Student Village: Located near downtown Hamilton and the City Campus, Wintec Student Village has 15 villa-style units, each with five single bedrooms.
- Wintec Apartments: The Wintec Apartments provide accommodation for local and international students who are looking for a comfortable and affordable shared living experience. These apartments provide students with an experience similar to flatting.
- Rotakauri Eco Village: Designed for adult learners at Wintec, Rotakauri Eco Village allows students to live with their partner or family
Wintec Courses include various undergraduate and postgraduate short term and long term certificate and diploma courses across the following subjects of study:
- Architectural Technology
- Art and Design
- Beauty Therapy
- Business and Management
- Dairy Processing
- Fashion Design
- Health and Wellbeing
- Hospitality and Cookery
- Industrial Measurement and Control
- Information Technology
- Interior Design
- Landscape Design and Construction
- Occupational Therapy
- Outdoor Adventure and Recreation
- Quantity Surveying
- Research and Applied Innovation
- Rural Animal Technology
- Science (Applied)
- Social Work
- Sport Science
- Supply Chain and Logistics
- Vet Nursing
Living and Studying in Hamilton, New Zealand
- Situated in the North Island of New Zealand, Hamilton is the most thickly populated city in the Waikato region.
- With students enrolled in Wintec (Waikato Institute of Technology), University of Waikato and Te Wananga o Aotearoa, Hamilton is home to more than 40,000 tertiary students, making the place conducive to students from across the globe.
- To live comfortably while studying one needs to have about $15,000 NZD per year to cover all the living costs above the cost of your tuition fees.
- If your visa allows you to work in New Zealand, you can work full-time while study at Wintec during the summer vacation and up to 20 hours per week otherwise.
Placement Prospects at Wintec
- With Wintec’s focus on making its students work-ready, it assists the students of all full-time courses in gaining work experiences through internships.
- Wintec NEXT is a collaboration between Wintec and partner employers to present work experience and employment opportunities to Trades and Engineering students of Waikato Institute of Technology. Wintec Next connects the right student to the right employer. Employment Opportunities presents via Wintec NEXT are a pathway into different industries and a promising embarkment of a sincere career.
- The work-experience opportunities at Waikato Institute of Technology are diverse and include:
- Part-time work
- Full-time work
- 82% of Wintec degree graduates gain employment within 6 months
Applying at Waikato Institute of Technology
- If English is not your first language, all Wintec courses will demand proof of proficiency in the English language in the form of IELTS score.
- Concurrent programmes: IELTS 5.5 with a minimum of 5.0 in all bands, or equivalent
- Programmes level 4 and below: ELTS 5.5 with a minimum of 5.0 in all bands, or equivalent
- Programmes levels 5 to 7: IELTS 6.0 with a minimum of 5.5 in all bands, or equivalent
- Programmes level 8 and above: IELTS 6.5 with a minimum of 6.0 in all bands, or equivalent
- Wintec (Waikato Institute of Technology) has set minimum requirements for academic entry to programmes for International Students.
- For Indian Students, the degree level academic requirement is: An overall average of 65% in the Higher Secondary School Examination or All‐India Senior School Certificate with a minimum of 60% in English or one-year successful undergraduate study at a recognised tertiary institution.
The following blogs might help you prepare for IELTS to get admission in Wintec:
Application form for International Students include:
- Personal details
- Contact details
- Agent contact details (if any)
- Wintec Services (Accommodation, Pickup etc)
- English Study (Short term course before starting the mainstream programme) (Optional)
- Programme Selection
- English Proficiency
- Secondary School Studies
- Tertiary Studies
- Statistical Information
- Criminal Convictions
- Student Declaration
In addition to submitting the fully-filled Wintec application form, you are required to attach:
- Verified copies of documents serving as legal proof of your personal details
- Verified copies of academic transcripts if required by programme entry criteria
- Verified copy of English Proficiency Test results
Once your application gets selected at Wintec:
- You receive your offer letter
- You sign the acceptance page of the offer letter
- You apply for a student visa after presented your offer letter to the New Zealand immigration authority
- You pay the fees to Wintec for your respective course
- You receive a Paid Offer Letter, confirming your place at Wintec
- You notify Wintec about your travel and accommodation plans
- You complete your enrolment at the Student Enrolment and Information Centre after reaching New Zealand
What can you do today to get admission in Wintec?
Do you think the Waikato Institute of Technology is the right institute for you?
- Connect with Leverage Edu to get a free counselling session that will help you understand the whole process of applying at Wintec
- Find out about IELTS and how Leverage Edu can help you with the preparation of the English proficiency test.
As an integral part of the community, Wintec courses plays a major role in positively contributing to the regional and national economy. Waikato Institute of Technology through its various courses in diverse fields, experienced faculty and, conducive facilities offers students the propitious environment for shaping a promising career. One of the top universities of New Zealand, Wintec can open doors for students to the world of excellent education with enough emphasis on practical exposure in a safe and secure environment.