Ishan Uday is a special scholarship scheme for the North-Eastern Region. It is a revolutionary initiative by the University Grants Commission and Human Resource Department to promote higher education and improve the gross enrollment ratio in the NE region as the country progresses towards better education facilities and opportunities for all, initiatives such as Ishan Uday are ideal examples to take forward in the list of reforms.
The program offers about 10,000 scholarships to the students of the North Easter Region pursuing higher education. The scholarship scheme was first started in the 2014-2015 session. Students with Bachelor’s degrees in technical, non-technical and medical courses are eligible for the scholarship. Under Ishan Uday, every eligible, registered and approved candidate receives a monthly compensation of INR 7,800 throughout the duration of their degree.
|Name of the Scholarship
|Ministry of Human Resource Department, University Grants Commission
|University Grants Commission
|University Students of North Eastern Region, India
|18 years to 28 years
|Mode of Application
This Blog Includes:
- Objective of Ishan Uday Scholarship Scheme
- Important Dates
- Eligibility Criteria of Ishan Uday Scholarship
- Application Process for Ishan Uday Scholarship
- Documents Required for Ishan Uday Scholarship
- Selection Criteria for Ishan Uday Scholarship
- How is the Ishan Uday Scholarship Distributed?
Objective of Ishan Uday Scholarship Scheme
The objectives of introducing this scheme are as follows:
- To promote the aspects of Higher Education in the North East Region. The scholarship aims to bridge the gap between aspirations and opportunities for the students of North East by providing aid in education.
- In the region of North East India, this scholarship tries to maximize the Gross Enrolment Ratio of students. In certain states, the GER goes as low as 17.8 in Nagaland and 18.2% in Assam against an Indian average of 25.8%.
- It also aims to promote professional education amongst students in the region. The students who are graduating from the North East Region are given the privilege of choosing professional courses that enhance their skill set. It will help them specialize in their respective fields.
- It also aims to utilise the NER Budget allocation in the region. This scheme can nicely utilize the budget allocated for the development of this region and in the longer run, benefit each sector.
- Every payment on Ishan Uday is credited to the beneficiary account through Direct Benefit Transfer or DBT. This ensures that the funds reach the right beneficiary by matching the details in the Documents submitted by the candidate and the personal information in the bank details.
To apply for the Ishan Uday Scholarship the candidates have to look forward to the dates of application. The application date sheet for 2024 is as follows:
|31st October 2023
|Defective Verification Last date
|31 January 2024
|Institutive Verification Last Date
|31 January 2024
Eligibility Criteria of Ishan Uday Scholarship
To avail of the Ishan Uday Scholarship program, the candidates must fulfil specific criteria to be eligible. Anyone who fails to meet the criteria is not eligible for the scholarship benefits. If one is eligible and wishes to apply for the program, one will be required to submit the necessary documents at the time of application.
Who Can Apply?
- Only the candidates with NER as their domicile region can apply for the scholarship.
- The candidate must have passed class 12th successfully from a recognised school within NER.
- The accepted boards of education are the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE), the Indian Certificate of Secondary Education (ICSE), and the National Institute of Open Schooling.
- To apply for the scholarship, the applicant must have secured admission to universities in non-technical, technical, medical or para-medical courses.
- Students in the first year of undergraduate studies can apply for the scholarship program.
- For scholarships granted under integrated courses continue throughout the duration of the complete course. In the case of dual degree programs the scholarship is only applicable during the first degree and does not continue henceforth.
- The candidates applying for the scholarship are only eligible if the combined income of the parents and the student is at most 4.5 lakhs.
- There is a provision for transgender people to apply for the scholarship. They also receive reservations according to the Government of India scheme.
Who Cannot Apply?
The UGC sets a definitive set of rules to grant scholarships for students pursuing higher education from the North East Region. The students who do not fulfil the eligibility criteria cannot apply and those with the following descriptions are also excluded from the scope of being a beneficiary.
- Students enrolled in Open Universities.
- Students who have already applied for Undergraduate scholarships under any other schemes.
- Students admitted under Management Quota.
- Students undergoing a non-degree course such as Diploma or Certificate.
Application Process for Ishan Uday Scholarship
Once every year notification for applications under Ishan Uday Scholarship is released to invite eligible students to apply. The notification is released in some Leading Newspapers and Employment News all over the area.
The UGC Website also displays a notification for the same. The process is completely online and the candidates can apply anytime within the given dates. The candidates are advised to keep a soft copy of all the documents handy. The procedure to apply is given below.
- The new users should register themselves on the National Scholarship Portal (NSP).
- The candidates then enter their Education Qualifications, Aadhar number, Enrollment number, Bank details, and the State of Domicile.
- Then the personal details have to be entered in the form. Complete the registration.
- An OTP will be sent to the candidate which can be used by them to log in to their accounts.
- After logging in the candidates can look for the Ishan Uday Application Form and submit it with the relevant details and documents attached.
- Download the application form.
Documents Required for Ishan Uday Scholarship
There are various documents required for identification and proof of eligibility that have to be submitted during the application process and to the bank at the time of DBT.
- For new candidates, the first document required is the Joining Form.
- For old beneficiaries, the renewal form has to be attached.
- An Income Certificate which shows an annual income below 4.5 Lakhs. The Document should be issued and authorised by the designated authority of the State Government.
- Continuation Certificate in case the candidate has completed another trimester.
- An Affidavit stating that the candidate is not availing of any other scholarship for this Bachelor’s degree. The Notary Certificate should be approved by the Magistrate, SDM, or a Gazetted Officer.
Selection Criteria for Ishan Uday Scholarship
The criteria of selection for Ishan Uday are mostly based on merit. Class 12th scores of the candidates are considered as the primary criteria. The selection is done by UGC which also reserves the right to withdraw or cancel any fellowship without being answerable.
The list of selected candidates is released on the UGC website and the award letters can also be downloaded from there. The fellowship of every new batch begins on the 1st of April every year. The candidate should also note that they need to join the fellowship before the completion of 6 months from the date of issue of the Award Letter. The fellowship sands cancelled otherwise.
Also Read: Cultural Talent Search Scholarship Scheme
How is the Ishan Uday Scholarship Distributed?
Ishan Uday Scholarship is distributed amongst more and more fresh students each year. Each state is allocated slots for the scholarship. These slots are based on the census report of the year as they take the population of a state under consideration. Each state distributes scholarships based on their slots and in case the slots remain vacant they are combined and distributed amongst states equally.
For every student enrolled on a general degree course, the course offers a compensation of INR 5400 per month. If the applicant is enrolled in a professional, technical, or medical course the scheme offers an amount of INR 7800 per month. As mentioned earlier the amount is offered through Direct Benefit Transfer.
The student is required to visit one of the various branches of banks in partnership with the UGC. They need to carry their Award Letter and Joining report alongside the process. There is also a list of documents required to be submitted to the designated branch of the bank, the documents are mentioned in the latter half of the blog.
The candidates granted the scholarship must also submit a ‘Continuation Certificate’ at the end of every three months. A renewal form and a copy of the mark sheet have to be submitted at the end of the academic year. Once the course is completed a photocopy of the degree also has to be submitted to the bank.
Ishan Uday is a scholarship scheme offered only to first-year Undergraduate students from the North East Region of India. The scheme offers monetary benefits to students to pursue higher education successfully.
The official website of the University Grants Commission has all notifications and information about the Ishan Uday Special Scholarship Scheme for North Eastern Region. The organisation releases a state-wise merit list on ugc.ac.in.
The students who are applying for renewal of the scholarship must have been promoted to the next class or semester. The scholarship can be renewed on the official website of the National Scholarship Portal NSP. Login after selecting the Renewal option in the dropdown list. Enter the login credentials that were given at the time of registration and proceed to the Make Renewal option. Upload the documents required and submit the form.