One of the biggest fears while preparing for the IELTS exam is how to score well in IELTS general writing task 2. IELTS general writing task 2 is the second part of the IELTS exam, which requires you to present the point of view, argument, and response to the question asked. You are required to write an essay in this section in a formal style of about 250 words. IELTS General Writing Task must be completed within 40 minutes. Further, whether you are a new student preparing for the exam or a failed student, you must simply follow this blog to improve your IELTS General Writing task 2. If you want to know more about it, how to improve band score in Writing Task 2, structures, common topics for IELTS general writing task 2, and much more, then Keep Reading!
This Blog Includes:
Here is some information you must know before making your attempt.
- Write an essay in response to the question asked.
- Write at least 250 words more
- This task is worth ⅔ of the total marks
- This part requires 40 minutes.
- Both general training and academics are the same for Task 2. However, both are different for Task 1
- You will be assessed on coherence and cohesion, grammatical range and accuracy, task achievement, and lexical resources.
How to Get Band 7 in IELTS General Writing Task 2?
- First, you are required to understand the questions asked in the exam to answer them more accurately. By doing this, you can identify what is asked by the examiner. Further, one of the biggest mistakes students make is not analyzing the question asked, thus failing to score well.
- Next, you must plan your answers to do well; planning always works in IELTS general writing task 2. You must be planning for the answers in the last 10 minutes. This straight away tells the examiner what your answer is all about.
- Then, you must write an introduction so that the examiner knows after reading your first para what the rest of the essay is all about.
- After all the above points, it’s time to write the body of your essay, where you need to give the examiner the details. You must put ideas, main points, and support with relevant explanations and examples.
- At least you need to write a conclusion, a summary of your essay.
Here are some tips you may consider to get more than 7 Bands.
How to Improve Score in IELTS General Writing Task 2
Many students know you need to improve; here is how you can do this.
- First, you need to understand the exam and what it is all about.
- Then, you must find your weak areas. What is a weakness for one cannot be a weakness for others? Thus, you are required to find out your weakness.
- After finding the problems, you need to find the solution. In short, you need to fix the prevailing issues to score more.
- It is imperative to get proper feedback to know what you are lacking behind. You must do this with the help of someone who can accurately give you positive feedback about your improvement and areas that lack improvement.
Skills You Need
There are various skills that you must develop so that you can crack this hard but easy exam. Here is a list of skills required for IELTS general writing Task 2.
- Planning an essay
- Thinking relevant ideas
- Writing complex sentences
- Supporting paragraph writing
- Writing thesis statement
- Not exceeding the word count
- Understand and analyze questions
- Writing great introduction
- Writing conclusion
- Using relevant examples
- Using synonyms correctly
- Case study
- Coherence and cohesion
Don’t forget to Like, Share, Comment, and Subscribe to our YouTube Channel for more such tips
The syllabus for IELTS general writing task 2 is quite vast but this is possible only when you consider practicing more and more. Here is the list of common topics so that you can practice scoring more.
- Criminal justice
- Government spending
- Public transport
- Youth crime
IELTS Writing Task 2 Samples
What to Cover for IELTS General Writing Task 2?
You are required to cover the syllabus from scratch. Here are some topics you must cover while preparing for IELTS general writing task 2.
|Writing task 2 exercises||Advantages and disadvantages|
|Problem and solution essay||Discussion essay|
|Band 6.5 to 8||Agree or disagree lesson|
You need to attempt practice or sample papers so that you have enough practice before actually attempting the IELTS general reading test.
This prestigious test is basically conducted to test the level of comprehension you have. However, some students may find it difficult to pass this test but it is quite easier when you have covered the syllabus and practiced.
You may get the sample papers for the IELTS general writing test easily on various websites. These sample tests are designed to help in practicing and scoring well in the exam.
If you want to get into a high university, you’ll need more than good grades; you’ll also need a flawless application because the competition is fierce. You may enlist the assistance of Leverage Edu specialists to assist you with the application process to realize your goals. Call us immediately at 1800 57 2000 for a free 30-minute consultation.