Famous for setting in motion Britain’s Industrial Revolution, Derby is the UK’s central-most city. It is known for its friendly neighbourhoods and is among the top 10 student cities in the United Kingdom to make a living, making it a viable option to pursue higher studies. If you are planning to study in Derby and have no idea where to begin you have come to the right blog!
This Blog Includes:
- Why Study in Derby?
- Top Universities/Colleges in Derby
- Popular Courses to Study in Derby
- Popular Intakes
- Application Process for Studying in Derby
- Documents Required to Study in Derby
- UK Student Visa Requirements
Why Study in Derby?
- Quality Education: Home to University of Derby among others, Derby claims to offer quality education along with real world learning experience.
- Affordable Living: It is among the most affordable cities in the UK for Indian students. The small city is known for its community spirit. It is safe and you can find everything within walking distance.
- Higher Job Opportunities: Derby is among the best places in the United Kingdom to live and work. With low cost of living and ample job opportunities, Derby can be considered for pursuing your higher education.
- Historic Significance: The Derby Silk Mill became Britain’s – and probably the world’s – first factory in 1721. Responsible for setting the industrial revolution in motion, Derby is also home to several beautiful parks and museums.
Top Universities/Colleges in Derby
Here are some popular universities and colleges in Derby:
University of Derby
Ranking among the top 1200 universities in the world, the University of Derby is a public university situated in Derby, England. It traces its history back to the establishment of the Derby Diocesan Institution for the Training of Schoolmistresses in 1851 and finally gained university status in 1992. The university is also affiliated with MillionPlus and Universities UK. The university’s mission is to provide a high-quality academic learning experience with a personal touch. The University has two campuses (Derby and Buxton) and is well known for its quality of teaching, and research community. The University of Derby offers a range of undergraduate, postgraduate and online courses for study. The University of Derby was also rated with Gold in the Teaching Excellence Framework 2017. Derby is one of the top ten universities in the country for graduate employment, with 96.7% employed or enrolled in further study within six months after graduation.
Derby College Group
Derby College was established as a single institution in 2002 by merging three further education colleges: Mackworth Tertiary College, Wilmorton Tertiary College and Broomfield Agricultural College. It has a number of campuses across Derbyshire and aims to provide high-quality academic, vocational and technical education to its students. It offers courses in animal management, business, computer science, engineering, health, social care and childcare among many others DCG retained its ‘good’ grading from Ofsted following a short inspection in December 2019. The report highlighted the Group’s excellent links with local employers and the way students are well prepared for further study or employment.
University of Nottingham Medical School at Derby
Part of the University of Nottingham and opened in September 2003 by Dr John Reid, then Secretary of State for Health, the University of Nottingham Medical School is located in the city of derby, England. The University of Nottingham ranking #103 in the world 18th in the UK, is also a member of the UK’s prestigious Russell Group and the Universitas 21 international network. It offers a four-year Graduate Entry Medical (GEM) course (initially for 90 students) as well as a 3-year Undergraduate Medical Physiology and Therapeutics degree (available as a 4-year foundation degree) as well. The medical school is attached to the Royal Derby Hospital and houses a lecture theatre, anatomy suite and clinical skills teaching facility.
Popular Courses to Study in Derby
- Hospitality, Event Management and Tourism
- Mechanical Engineering
- Fashion and Textiles
- Journalism and Publishing
- Public Relations
- Nursing and Midwifery
Universities in the UK offer programs majorly during the January intake and September intake. There are also additional Intakes in April/May, January, and March but only for select courses.
Application Process for Studying in Derby
The step-by-step guide for the admission process for international students is as follows:
Choosing a Course
The primary step in the application process is to shortlist courses and universities according to your academic profile and preference. You must meticulously explore the prospective courses available at the academic institutions in Derby. You can even use our AI-powered Course Finder to shortlist the course as per your interests and requirements and the best-fit universities abroad.
Applying for the Course
The next step is to apply for the chosen course. Start the application process for full-time undergraduate courses by logging into UCAS with the “Apply Now“ button to access the application and create an account.
Gather Test Scores of Proficiency Exams
GMAT, GRE, IELTS, PTE or TOEFL are a mandatory part of the documents required for the application process. Register for Leverage Live and commence with your preparations today. A few courses may ask for the online portfolio or assignment that takes place on Skype.
Gather other Documents
LOR, SOP, bank statements, essays, updated resumes and official transcripts of previous academic degrees are also part of the supporting documents. Start collecting all the necessary documents to get ahead with your application process.
Submit your Application
Once you are qualified, collected all the documents and fulfilled the language requirements you are ready, to begin with, the application form. To secure your admission make sure you enter all your personal and professional credentials thoroughly. Later on, check the deadlines, and submit your saved application form at the right time to the university.
Documents Required to Study in Derby
Documents required will depend on your course. Following are the standard documents required:
- Completely filled application form
- a personal statement explaining why you are suitable for the course
- Copy of bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- Copy of IELTS test scores
- Copy of GMAT/GRE test scores
- Self-attested X & XII marksheet and certificates
- 2 references, if applicable
- Passport/Identification Card
- Letter of Recommendation
- Statement of Purpose
- Proof of funds
- Permission to study
UK Student Visa Requirements
To study in London, UK, you have to apply for a General Student Visa [Tier 4]. You will become eligible for a study visa once you are enrolled in a full-time study course. The requirements include:
- Proof of identity
- Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) number
- Offer letter from the university
- Documents for obtaining CAS
- Recent passport size photographs
- Proof of funds
- Visa fee payment
- Additional requirements by the university
- You need to switch to a Tier 2 general visa which lasts for 5 years post completion of studies
- You can qualify for permanent residence provided your income is at least £35000 (INR 3514208)
Planning to study in the United Kingdom? Sign up for a free session with Leverage Edu experts on 1800 572 000 and get started!