In recent times, Australia has secured its position as one of the most sought-after destinations for students from around the world. The innumerable course choices at every study level are a big contributing factor to that. There are so many scenic views in Australia along with a large number of adventure activities that can be undertaken. All this makes studying in Australia an overall explosive learning experience. In 2018, there were over 800,000 international students studying in Australia. This blog talks about the psychology courses offered in Australia.
This Blog Includes:
- Why Study Psychology in Australia?
- Popular Psychology Courses in Australia
- BA in Psychological Science
- Master of Clinical Psychology
- Graduate Diploma of Professional Psychology
- Minimum Requirements to Become a Psychologist in Australia
- Top Universities for Psychology in Australia
- Cost of Studying Psychology in Australia
- Psychologist Job Profiles
- Scope for Psychology Majors in Australia
Register Here and Book the Date for Uplifting your Career!!
Why Study Psychology in Australia?
Although there are a number of different reasons to study in Australia, the following are some of the things that are able to attract a number of students to study psychology in Australia:
- The course of psychology is listed as a Medium and Long-Term Strategic skills list. This is a list of highly demanded occupations in Australia. Thus, the chances of acquiring PR in Australia are higher for psychology graduates.
- The quality of education in Australia at both Bachelor’s and Master’s levels is excellent. Universities in Australia are known for high-quality research standards in their respective fields.
- The unemployment rate in the field of Psychology in Australia is very less as compared to other professions. The U.S Bureau of Labor Statistics reports expected a 12 per cent increase in jobs in psychology jobs between the years 2012 and 2022.
Popular Psychology Courses in Australia
Following is the list of popular Psychology Courses in Australia:
BA in Psychological Science
This course allows students to hone their analytical skills and become independent thinkers. The degree is highly regarded by academic leaders and is highly sought after by industry employers. It starts from the bottom scientific study of human behaviour, psychology and mental processes.
Master of Clinical Psychology
This course prepares you for your journey to becoming a psychologist. The skills, experience and qualifications needed to apply to the Psychology Board of Australia (PsyBA) are instilled into the students.
Graduate Diploma of Professional Psychology
This one-year course is an Australian Psychology Accreditation Council (APAC) accredited fourth-year qualification in psychology. The course provides an advanced study of the discipline of psychology, research training and an introduction to psychological practice.
Minimum Requirements to Become a Psychologist in Australia
- A minimum of 6 years of study sequence should be achieved. This includes 3 years of undergraduate study, 1 year of specialised psychology study and 2 years of either a postgraduate degree or internship.
- The 3 years of undergraduate study could be a general psychology program from a registered university in Australia. The 4th year must be utilised to complete a specialisation in psychology.
- After the six-year sequence, the students become eligible to register under the Psychology Board of Australia (PBA) to practice as fully registered psychologists, as per the National Registration and Accreditation Scheme.
The application process takes place over a period of time and begins months before the commencement of classes. To study psychology in Australia, students must apply from the official website for master’s courses. You can call our Leverage Edu experts on 1800 572 000 to find out how the application process can be fast-tracked and streamlined to Australia! Here’s an easy 5-step process to complete your application process:
- Call our experts on 1800 572 000 to shortlist your favourite universities and courses. Start your application to multiple universities through our one dashboard platform
- Compile all your documents like SOPs, essays, certificates and LORs and exam scores like IELTS, TOEFL, GRE, GMAT, etc
- Meet all the applications deadlines and start the application process for accommodation, UK students visa, and scholarships/student loans
- Accept the offer letter and meet your teachers, college mates and roommates virtually
- Get your visa approved and fly to your dream university!
- All official academic Transcripts and grade cards
- Passport size photographs
- Passport photocopy
- Updated CV/Resume
- English Language Proficiency Test Scores
- Letter of Recommendations
- Statement of Purpose
Top Universities for Psychology in Australia
Following are the top Universities for Psychology in Australia:
|University||Australia Psychology Rank 2022||WUR Psychology Rank 2022||City|
|University of Melbourne||1||24||Melbourne|
|University of Sydney||3||36||Sydney|
|The University of Queensland||4||46||Brisbane|
|Australian National University||5||77||Canberra|
|The University of Western Australia||6||95||Perth|
|Australian Catholic University||7||126–150||Sydney|
Cost of Studying Psychology in Australia
The tuition fee varies based on the discipline and the university chosen. Here is the approximate fee range for a year based on the information provided by some of the top universities.
Bachelors (UG): The fee amount ranges between $30,000 and $36,000 (~INR 15-18 lakhs)
Postgraduate (PG): The fee amount ranges between $33,700 and $42,000 (~INR 17-22 lakhs)
Psychologist Job Profiles
Following are the top jobs and salaries after studying Psychology in Australia:
|Profile||Average Salary (AUD)||Average Salary (INR)|
|Clinical Psychologist||85553||44.4 lakhs|
|Consumer psychologist||85000||44.2 lakhs|
|Engineering psychologist||108583||56.4 lakhs|
|Experimental psychologist||114724||59.6 lakhs|
|Forensic/ Criminal Psychologist||69604||36.1 lakhs|
|Health Psychologist||103800||53.9 lakhs|
|Aviation Psychologist||108583||56.4 lakhs|
|Art Therapist||73808||38.3 lakhs|
|Social worker||97279||50.5 lakhs|
|Career or vocational counsellor||65256||33.9 lakhs|
|Genetic counsellor||77293||40.1 lakhs|
|Human resource manager||90982||47.3 lakhs|
Scope for Psychology Majors in Australia
Professionals belonging to the field of psychology are at the higher end of the salary spectrum. According to Job Outlook, the approximate number of individuals practising as Psychologists and Psychotherapists grew manifold over 5 years from 22,000 in 2014 to 26,000 in 2019. The inferred growth rate of the sector will increase further with respect to skilled workers in the next five years. An average salary of AUD 1,794 is earned in a week by psychology professionals. This comes to INR 3.96 lakhs per month. With an increase in experience and education, this increases significantly.
Australia’s entry requirements for psychologists:
A general psychology degree programme from an Australian university that is accredited could be completed during the three years of undergraduate education.
A Bachelor of Psychology with Honors or a Bachelor of Psychological Science are the two most popular entry points into the field. If you already have a bachelor’s degree in a different field, you might want to pursue a graduate diploma in psychology.
According to several experts, Australia is the best country in the world to study psychology.
This was all the major information about psychology courses in Australia. The experts at Leverage Edu will help you through the entire process of course application and settling in Australia. Call us at 1800 572 000 to avail yourself of one free counselling session.