Students pursuing doctoral or masters programs are required to submit a dissertation as part of their studies. A dissertation is a written document that summarises the research conducted and includes findings either on a question or a topic chosen by the student. A dissertation is important as it demonstrates a student’s knowledge about their subject and their ability to use research methods to define a topic/subject. As part of the dissertation, students are required to submit an acknowledgement. This blog guides you on how to write an acknowledgement for your dissertation, what to include in acknowledgement for dissertation and includes tips and samples for acknowledgement for dissertation projects.
Must Read: All About PhD Thesis
This Blog Includes:
- Acknowledgement for Dissertation
- How to Write Acknowledgement for Dissertation
- Whom to thank in Acknowledgement for Dissertation?
- Dissertation Acknowledgement Examples
- Dissertation Acknowledgement Sample
- Dos and Don’ts while Writing Acknowledgement for Dissertation
- [BONUS] Find out the Best Country to Pursue PhD?
Acknowledgement for Dissertation
An acknowledgement for the dissertation is written to acknowledge and thank all individuals and academic departments that helped you during the process of writing a dissertation. It is a section where you thank funders, dissertation supervisors, other academics, colleagues, family and friends that helped in the research and writing process. The acknowledgement is placed after the title page of the dissertation and is no longer than one page.
Also Read: What is Research Proposal?
How to Write Acknowledgement for Dissertation
There is no format to write an acknowledgement for a dissertation. You should simply start by thanking everyone who helped you. While writing, you can use an informal tone as an acknowledgement is more personal. It should be written in first-person. You can acknowledge individuals, institutions or organisations. It is preferred to start with professional acknowledgements first and then move to personal acknowledgements. You choose to simply say thank you in some acknowledgements whereas in others you can elaborate how that person helped you.
Whom to thank in Acknowledgement for Dissertation?
Make sure you thank the right people from your institution as well as from your personal life.
Professional acknowledgements can include:
- Committee members
- Librarians (generalists and specialists)
- Laboratory assistants
- Other academics
- Professional colleagues
- Classmates who contributed in some way
- Research participants
- You can also mention if someone in authority gave you valuable suggestions
Personal Acknowledgements can include:
- Your partner
- Friends and Family member who contributed or inspired in some way
- Any other individual who inspired or guided you in your academic journey
- You can also choose to thank God.
Also Read: PhD in UK
Dissertation Acknowledgement Examples
- You can use the following examples that will help to write an acknowledgement for your dissertation. You can simply say thankyou or elaborate on how each person or group contributed in your dissertation.
- First of all, I would like to express my sincere gratitude to ________ for providing financial support without which this research would not have been possible.
- I would like to thank my supervisor _____ for the constant support and guidance throughout this project.
- I would like to thank the following people for helping with this research project
- Many thanks to _____without whom I would not have been able to complete this research.
- I would also like to acknowledge _________ for their participation and engagement.
- I would like to express my gratitude to ______ for providing valuable suggestions that helped guide this entire project.
- I would like to thank ____ from the bottom of my heart for their constant support, guidance and encouragement.
- Special thanks to ______ for their invaluable advice, continuous support, and patience during my research
- I would like to extend my sincere thanks to ____ for their assistance at every stage of the research project.
- ___ provided constant encouragement and was always willing and enthusiastic to assist in any way he/she could throughout the research project.
- I am grateful to have the pleasure of working with
- I am deeply grateful to _____ for their unwavering support and belief in me
- I wish to thank my loving and supportive partner/parents/friends
Dissertation Acknowledgement Sample
Dos and Don’ts while Writing Acknowledgement for Dissertation
- Do check if the university has provided with guidelines to write an acknowledgement
- Do make sure that you include individuals who directly helped you in the process.
- Do keep the tone informal and personal.
- Do use full name and appropriate titles and qualifications.
- Do remember to keep the acknowledgement of appropriate length.
- Don’t thank each and every member of your family unless someone was particularly inspiring or supportive.
- Don’t overlook anybody, especially people you know and have helped you in a professional capacity, even if their contribution was very little.
- Don’t forget to revise the acknowledgement and remove any redundancies.
Must Read: Dissertation vs Thesis
[BONUS] Find out the Best Country to Pursue PhD?
Want to pursue a PhD Abroad? Then wait no more, call our Leverage Edu experts at 1800 572 000 and get started on your application process and research proposal!