Scholarships can provide the best meritorious assistance to a student especially for those planning wants to go abroad. As one of the best scholarships for Indian students to study abroad, the National Overseas Scholarship is a scheme open for all Scheduled Tribe students who are currently pursuing or wish to pursue higher studies abroad for various Masters, PhD & Post-Doctoral research programs. The candidate has to fulfil the criteria as per the scheme guidelines for the National Overseas Scholarship Scheme of the Ministry of Tribal Affairs, the government of India. Read this blog to know all about National Overseas Scholarship 2021, eligibility, rewards, how to apply and more!
Check Out: National Fellowship for OBC
This Blog Includes:
National Overseas Scholarship 2021
The important dates for the National Overseas Scholarship are given below:
|The portal opens||1st January, 2021|
|Portal closes||31st January, 2021|
|Application will be available||First week of April|
Here are the rewards that you can avail as a recipient of National Overseas Scholarship:
- Annual Maintenance Allowance is $15,400 [11,54,400 INR] for the USA and other countries except for the UK for which it is £9,900 [10,37,687 INR].
- Annual Contingency and Equipment Allowance is $1532 [1,14,838 INR] for the USA and other countries and £1116 [83,655 INR] for the UK.
- Miscellaneous costs like the poll tax, visa fees, tuition fees, Medical Insurance Premium, cost of air passage and local travel is also covered under the scholarship.
Must Read: Women in Leadership Scholarship
How to Apply for National Overseas Scholarship?
Here is an overview of the application process of the National Overseas Scholarship:
- The students applying for this scheme for the first time need to “Register” on the National overseas Portal.
- Fill the student registration form. After a successful login, a text will be sent to the registered email address.
- Log in again and enter the provided award number and password to check the status. Your application status will show as “Pending” or “submitted” under the option ‘Check Your Status’.
- After a candidate has obtained confirmed admission in a foreign educational institution and received the appropriate visa, the candidate is required to inform the Ministry. After verification of admission letter and visa along with other requisite documents, the Ministry will issue you the confirmed award letter to the concerned candidate where the details of the course, educational institution etc. will be mentioned.
You may register online queries and grievances here.
Eligibility is an important criterion to consider before applying for scholarships. Here are the eligibility requirements for National Overseas Scholarship:
The minimum qualification needed to avail the scholarship is as follows –
- For Master’s Degree – The minimum of 55% marks or equivalent grade in relevant Bachelor’s Degree. 2 Years work experience in the concerned field is desirable and the candidates with experience would be given preference.
- For PhD –The minimum of 55% marks or equivalent grade in relevant Master’s Degree. 2 Years of experience – Teaching /Research/Professional/M.Phil Degree in the concerned field is desirable and the candidates with experience would be given preference.
- For Post-Doctoral –The minimum of 55% marks or equivalent grade in relevant Master’s Degree and Ph.D. 5 Years of experience – Research /Teaching /Professional in the concerned field is desirable because candidates with experience would be given preference.
Here are some essential requirements every candidate must qualify:
- The age limit is 35 years which will be considered as on 1st July of the selection year.
- Total family income permissible is – not exceeding Rs. 6,00,000.
- A minimum of 2 children from the same parent can get the benefit of the scholarship.
- Along with these requirements it is important that the applicants meet the minimum score requirements of tests like IELTS, PTE, GMAT, GRE, etc and note that every university has its own minimum ELP and other test score requirements.
Check Out: Oasis Scholarship
The Selection Committee for the National Overseas Scholarship considers all applications impartially and the scholarship award is given to the candidates who fulfil the eligibility criteria. Along with that, a few other things the National Overseas Scholarship panel focuses on are given below:
- Only the applications which are submitted before the deadline will be considered.
- Preference will be given to those who have already secured admission at a university in UK, Germany, Canada, etc. and the students yet to secure admission to an international university will also be considered but on a conditional basis.
- The unfilled slots earmarked for female applicants will be first given to the most eligible candidates.
- If there are slots remaining then the first available slot will be given to the oldest candidate and subsequent slots in descending order.
- There will not be any additional interviews or group discussions.
The Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment has implemented this scheme for the benefit of socially oppressed classes so that they can also get the opportunity of studying abroad. The scheme also expects that the students return to India after concluding their studies and serve the country in a government office for a minimum of 5 years.
Allotment of Slots for the Scholarship
The Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment will allocate 100 slots for scholarships to eligible students and the distribution of these slots are given below on the basis of three categories:
|Categories||Number of slots allotted|
|Nomadic and semi-nomadic tribes||6|
|Landless agricultural laborers and traditional artisans||4|
The fields of study covered under the National Overseas Scholarship scheme are:
- Agriculture & Medicine
- Humanities and Social Science
- Management & Economic/Finance
- Pure Science & Applied Science
The documents which will be needed for the application are provided below that you must keep handy while applying for the National Overseas Scholarship.
- Copy of Tax Assessment (ITR/Form 16) if applicable
- DOB Certificate (10th certificate should be uploaded as date of birth proof)
- Family Income Certificate
- Master Degree (Mark sheet) and Conversion factor formulae from CGPA to equivalent percentage mark (if given in CGPA)
- Ph.D (Mark sheet) and Conversion factor formulae from CGPA to equivalent percent of mark (if CGPA)
- Profile Photo (Size: – 50 KB-100KB)
- PVTG Certificate
- ST Certificate
The application process and the eligibility criteria is all given above for the students to read before they apply for the scholarship.
The National Overseas Scholarships which is a scheme open for all Scheduled Tribe students who are currently pursuing or wish to pursue higher studies abroad for various Masters, PhD & Post-Doctoral research programs.
The eligibility criteria and other details that you will need to get a scholarship for studying abroad is provided above for the benefit of the students.
Check Out: Study Abroad Scholarships
This was all about the National Overseas Scholarship and we hope that you are familiarized with these criteria before applying for this scheme. Looking for more scholarships to study abroad? Reach out to our Leverage Edu mentors and we will help you in finding the best scholarships as per your course and university preferences and further assist you creating an impressive application!