The full-time MPhil in Philosophy programme prepares students to do philosophical research. Students work with their supervisors on two research articles, one of which is limited to 4,000 words and the other to 8,000 words, as well as a dissertation of up to 12,000 words. Students also participate in a collaborative weekly seminar during Michaelmas (running from October to December)and Lent Terms (January to March) in the UK, and similar seminars are held in other countries as well, where they practise presentation and discussion skills by presenting their own research and evaluating other students’ presentations. This post introduces you to the MPhil in Philosophy course!
|Qualification Level||7 (NQF)|
|Availability||Systems of higher education in the United Kingdom and other countries.|
This Blog Includes:
The following are the key goals of the MPhil in Philosophy:
- Study of basics of our existence, consciousness, reasoning, and language among other things
- Imbibe skills to conduct philosophical research.
- To conduct focused research in the discipline under direct supervision; and
- To allow students to obtain or enhance skills and information relevant to their research interests.
- A written test may be used to assess the candidate’s knowledge. Candidates who pass the written exam will be invited to an interview. If a candidate has passed a national level exam like NET, SET, or something comparable, certain institutes will waive the entrance exam.
- Applicants must have a Master’s degree in science, art, medicine, business or engineering. Candidates must have received a 55 per cent grade in the Masters. The requirement may be relaxed by some universities.
- Applicants must have a four-year professional bachelor’s degree in science, art, medicine, business or engineering. Candidates must have received a 70 per cent grade in the bachelor or a CGPA of 7.3+ (University of Cambridge). CGPA requirements might vary as per the country and university.
- English proficiency test scores are mandatory at most universities. TOEFL and IELTS, both are accepted at most universities.
- If you are found eligible, you might have to appear for an interview.
Top Universities in the World for MPhil in Philosophy
|QS Ranking 2022||Name of University|
|42||New York University (NYU)|
|264||Rutgers University-New Brunswick|
|163||University of Pittsburgh|
|2||University of Oxford|
|27||The Australian National University|
|49||The London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE)|
|3||University of Cambridge|
|35||King’s College London|
Top Universities in India
This is a list of Universities in India that offer the MPhil in Philosophy:
- DU Delhi – University of Delhi
- JNU Delhi – Jawaharlal Nehru University
- Savitribai Phule Pune University, Pune
- University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad
- Jadavpur University, Kolkata
Following are the scholarships which can be availed by Indian students who wish to pursue the MPhil in Philosophy:
- David Efird Masters Scholarship.
- ANU Ben Williams International Student Support Grant, 2021
- Theology Hannon Scholarships at the University of Saskatchewan in Canada, 2020
- The University of Twente in the Netherlands offers a Holland Scholarship
Career Scope after the MPhil in Philosophy
The M.Phil career prospects available after graduation is a frequently questioned question. M.Phil. degrees can lead to profitable careers in law, academic research, private industry, national organisations, human services, and other fields. M.Phil graduates who do not want to work can pursue further research opportunities through the Ph.D. programme. After earning an M.Phil., you can work in both the public and private sectors. Research organisations, academic institutions, law firms, corporate industries, national organisations, and other various disciplines offer M.Phil work prospects. Following are some work opportunities for M.Phil freshmen following graduation:
- Professorial Assistant
- Assistant to the Principal Investigator
- Expert in Quality Control
|Job Position||Job Description|
|Chief Executive Officer||The Chief Executive Officer, or CEO, is in charge of all day-to-day management decisions as well as the implementation of the company’s long and short-term strategies. He/she acts as a direct link between the Company’s Board of Directors and management, communicating with the Board on management’s behalf.|
|Public Relations Specialist||Public relations specialists act as go-betweens for their employer or client and the general public. They establish and maintain cooperative relationships with the news media, customers, government authorities, local communities, and other public-interest groups.|
|Counselling Psychologist||A Counselling Psychologist is a mental health professional who works with people who are experiencing mental, emotional, or behavioural problems. Counselling psychologists meet with clients in a private, in-depth environment to discuss their concerns and make recommendations for the best strategies and techniques to address their problems.|
Under normal circumstances, the MPhil takes two years to complete.
The letters MPhil and PhD stand for ‘Master of Philosophy’ and ‘Doctor of Philosophy,’ respectively. Both degrees are focused on research and study, however, the PhD has a major advantage over the MPhil in terms of research and coursework. A PhD qualifies a candidate to teach in universities and in the field of education. Only those having an MPhil can work as researchers in organisations.
A number of universities offer an MPhil in Social Work. Universities, on the other hand, require admission through entrance exams and personal interviews.
A master’s degree in any area differs from an MPhil in that the latter requires more in-depth research. A candidate can only pursue an MPhil degree after completing their master’s degree. Candidates who have finished their undergraduate studies may apply for a Master’s programme, but not for an MPhil programme.
MPhil coursework takes a substantial amount of research, effort, and commitment. You’ll also find the coursework entertaining to complete if you’ve taken a course in which you’re truly interested and want to go the extra mile.
If you are interested in pursuing a Mphil in philosophy, try and get an admission from a top University as a good university can provide you with the opportunities required to make a successful career. Consider taking the help of the Leverage Edu team to get an admission from a top college.