As heavily debated as the egg or the hen, one can spend entire weekends and sometimes even months over the Diploma vs Degree or diploma or B.Sc, which is the best discussion. For any student who has passed the Boards, making the key decision around diploma vs bachelor can be slightly unnerving. In this blog, we aim to help student’s out by providing all the important information about both these degrees, so that they can make the right choice!
This Blog Includes:
Overview: Diploma vs Degree
To make things easy, let us start from the beginning, that is by defining and breaking down what each of these in confusion on diploma vs bachelor means.
Offered by an autonomous institution, college, or university, a Degree course is generally completed within 3 to 4 years. Whereas in the case of a Diploma, these programs are usually provided by colleges and take a maximum of 2 years to complete.
If we were to lay down the specifics of differences between the Diploma Vs Degree while trying to determine diploma or B.Sc which is the best, they would be as follows:
|Meaning||A degree is a credential granted by a college or university upon satisfactory completion of study at a specific level in a chosen stream.||A diploma is a certificate awarded by an educational institution to a student for completing a specific course and passing the examination.|
|Eligibility||Higher Secondary||High School|
|Time||3-4 Years||1-2 Years|
|Learning Curve||Deep and Intense||Holistic|
|Awarded by||Universities||Universities, Colleges, Private institutions|
|Conducted By||Universities||Universities, Educational Institutes and Private Companies|
What is a Degree?
Intense studying of a stream of choice can lead to any of the four major types of degrees, popularly known as:
- Bachelor’s Degree: A Bachelor’s degree is four three years, generally full-time undergraduate course which can lead you to your Master’s degree.
- Associate Degree: An Associate degree program is available as vocational degrees that train the students comprehensively on theory and practical. It spans over the course of two years.
- Master’s Degree: A Master’s degree is a specialized, concentrated post-graduate degree that is pursued after the Bachelor’s degree. This higher study program is of two years duration.
- Doctorate Degree: A Doctorate degree is the highest level of academic degree which can be studied after the master’s degree. Do not be misled by the term ‘doctorate’ for it implies a doctorate of philosophy, which means it encourages independent research under the guidance of an assigned supervisor. It takes anywhere from four to seven years to complete a PhD program. Once you are awarded the degree, a job is soon on the list!
The primary benefit of pursuing a degree course is that the students can apply for and get jobs shortly. The curriculum focuses on the specialization as per the student’s strengths.
What is a Diploma?
\A Diploma certificate course is mostly aimed at any vocation and can be completed within a year or two. The two most popularly known Diplomas are:
- Graduate Diploma: A certified qualification that is undertaken at the undergraduate degree level.
- Post-graduate Diploma: A certified qualification that is undertaken after the bachelor’s degree course.
Diploma vs Degree: Popular Courses
Between Diploma Vs Degree, here are the branch wise course names you have probably heard of while contemplating which to choose. We have listed out the names by which the degree and the diploma course are known:
|Bachelors or Masters in Arts (English, Hindi, Sanskrit, French or any other language)||Diploma in Literature (English / Chinese etc.)|
|B.Com / M.Com||Diploma in Marketing, Sales, etc.|
|Bachelors/ Masters in Fine Arts||Diploma in Drawing/ Singing/ Acting etc|
|B.E/ B. Tech/ M.E./ M.Tech||Diploma in Automotive Engineering, Automobile Designing|
|B.Sc/ B.E./ B.Tech / M.Sc/ M.E./ M.Tech in Biotechnology||Diploma in Biotech, Horticulture, Agricultural Sciences|
|Bachelors or Masters in Mass Comm & Journalism||Diploma in Photography/ Film Making / Acting/ Cinematography|
|BBA/ MBA||Diploma in Business Studies/ Administration|
Students willing to enter the Management domain are always confused between 2 courses – PGDM and MBA. If you are also stuck in such a dilemma, read our blog on PGDM vs MBA to make the right career choice!
Diploma vs Degree: Key Differences Explained!
The following points highlight the significant distinctions between a degree and a diploma:
- As stated above as well, the degree is a credential awarded by the university to a student for successfully completing his studies up to a certain stage in a field of study of his choice. The diploma is a certificate presented to a student by an educational institution for successfully studying and completing a specific course.
- Admission to a degree programme is done on a yearly basis. Admission to a diploma course, on the other hand, is done on a yearly or half-yearly basis, depending on the policies of the university or institution.
- Degree programmes are typically more expensive than diploma programmes. Furthermore, degree courses require more time than diploma courses to complete.
- Some degree programmes are flexible, allowing students to change their major after only a few months of enrollment. A diploma, on the other hand, does not have such a choice.
- The minimum qualification for entrance to a degree programme is 10+2, however for a diploma, it is 10th.
- Degree holders are typically paid more than diploma holders.
- There are four categories of degrees: bachelor’s, master’s, associate’s, and doctoral. The type of diplomas that are available is graduate and postgraduate.
Diploma vs Degree: Final Verdict
In case you are wondering “degree vs diploma which is better?”, truth be told, it is completely upon personal preference. The top benefit of a Diploma Certificate course lies in its duration and affordability. It emphasizes more on a practical and hands-on approach to learning. However, there is a wider gap existing in the Diploma Vs Degree area, which demarcates with the choice of subject. Hence it is advisable to go through in detail the offerings of each and understand the finer nuances underlying within.
While options await us in plenty after our class 12 boards, we should peruse and decide upon our commitment towards a higher diploma vs degree or between a degree or diploma program. We should keep it in mind that such a choice could well be the career-defining moment of our lives. In the race between a diploma or a degree – which is better, we have listed out the options for you. It is time for you to focus on your strength, a specific skill that you would love to learn and continue doing once you are employed.
To conclude, in the tussle between Diploma Vs Degree or a higher diploma vs degree, later on, not everyone could choose a long-term educational program like a degree. This is where short-term diploma courses are a befitting alternative. While there will always be a difference in acquiring knowledge, one can always believe in oneself and learn on the job. A Diploma offers you the chance to network earlier in life, while a Degree lets you know your subject in depth. Leverage Edu’s expert team can help you with choosing the right option for your career. You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn.