Duolingo is an application that was launched in 2012 with the mission of making language learning easier The application helps people learn a bunch of foreign languages through a different methodology and also adapts the lesson according to the user’s end term goal or purpose. In 2014, Duolingo launched an online English language proficiency exam in order to come out as an alternative for other English language proficiency exams such as IELTS/TOEFL. This blog covers all the Duolingo accepted universities across the UK, USA, Canada, Australia, Japan, Europe, New Zealand.
|Conducted For||English Proficiency for higher studies|
|Result||Within 24-48 hours|
This Blog Includes:
- About Duolingo Exam
- Benefits of Duolingo English Test
- Duolingo Exam Pattern
- Duolingo Registration Process
- Duolingo Eligibility Criteria
- Duolingo Syllabus
- Duolingo Accepted Universities in UK
- Duolingo Accepted Universities in USA
- Duolingo Accepted Universities in Canada
- Duolingo Accepted Universities in Germany
- Duolingo Accepted Universities in Australia
- Duolingo Accepted Universities in New Zealand
- Duolingo Accepted Universities in Europe
- Duolingo Accepted Universities in Japan
- Authenticity Concerns
About Duolingo Exam
Just like other proficiency exams, Duolingo assesses candidates on four criteria which are reading, writing, listening and speaking. Since then some of the universities have started accepting Duolingo English proficiency exam scores but not all of them. But, with the pandemic disrupting the whole world and everything shifting towards digital means, many universities started looking for alternatives to the traditional English proficiency tests. IELTS and TOEFL could not be conducted due to the test centres being closed. So, at this time the number of educational institutions accepting Duolingo scores is growing exponentially.
The cost of the test is $49 (INR 3605 approximately) and takes about 45-60 minutes. In order to take the test, candidates need to have a passport, driver’s license or a government ID proof ready to identify on camera. Any person with a camera, microphone, speakers, and reliable internet can take the test from the comfort of their home.
Benefits of Duolingo English Test
There are various benefits of taking the Duolingo test. We have listed them below for your reference.
- Accessibility– The biggest advantage of the Duolingo English Test is that it can be taken from the comfort of our home which might not be an advantage earlier but with the pandemic entering our lives, Duolingo became the most feasible option at this time to conduct English proficiency tests. Although IELTS also recently launched its online test named IELTS Indicator but by this time Duolingo has already taken a big share in the market and has become one of the easiest options for students as well as schools.
- Affordability- While other English proficiency exams cost around $200 (INR 14,717 approximately) or above, Duolingo costs just $49 (INR 3,605 approximately). This comes as a major relief to students trying to study abroad as they have to face many expenses and anything that can cut those expenses down to even a little bit makes a lot of difference for them.
- Faster Results– This test provides the result within 24-48 hours as compared to IELTS/TOEFL which takes about 4-5 days to announce the result. The results provided by Duolingo are much faster as compared to other english proficiency exams.
- Time Duration– The duration of the test is 45-60 minutes as compared to IELTS which is 2 hour and 45 minutes. So, the time commitment is much lower in comparison to other traditional tests.
- Flexibility– Flexibility is yet another factor that differentiates this English test from the other ones. A Duolingo test can be taken anywhere, anytime and you just need a reliable internet connection.
- Mock Tests– This test also offers the option of attempting multiple mock tests before taking the actual test which gives students all the relevant knowledge regarding the final test.
Duolingo Exam Pattern
The test offered by Duolingo is an adaptive test which means that the test keeps on getting more difficult with more right answers and vice versa.
The test measures different aspects of the English language through-
- Completing missing letters from section of a text
- Finding out real English words from the fake ones
- Typing the statement which the candidates hear
- Describing an image
After this, the candidates are required to take a video interview wherein they can speak on any one of the two topics and the same process happens with writing as well. The score comes on a scale of 10-160 within 2 days of completion of the exam. Apart from all this, even schools accepting Duolingo score benefit from a much larger applicant pool, providing them with a comprehensive approach to look at the students by looking at their video interviews, written samples and their score.
Also Read: IELTS and GMAT Scores to Study in UK
Duolingo Registration Process
The registration process for the Duolingo English Test is fairly simple. All students are required to create an account on the official website, provide simple details like confirmation of Email ID, Age and create a password. You can also register with a Google Account.
Once you have an account, you can purchase the test at $49 (INR 3,632.77) and you have 21 days to take the exam. You can also take a practice test for 15 mins before taking your test.
Duolingo English test is now valid in over 3,000 institutes across the world. So, if you are planning to study at any of these top universities in the world, Duolingo will be one of the best options for you!
Duolingo Eligibility Criteria
Duolingo English Test is open for all candidates. The only eligibility criteria are that candidates are required to provide a government-approved ID, passport, a valid email address and must possess a functioning laptop with a microphone to appear for the exam. There is no age or region restrictions for giving the test, candidates can take the exam from anywhere in the world.
The Duolingo test examines the candidate’s level of proficiency on 4 subscores:
- Literacy: Ability to read and write
- Comprehension: Ability to listen and read
- Conversation: Ability to speak and listen
- Production: Ability to write and speak
The exam is for only 60 minutes and contains two tests such as the adaptive test (45 minutes) and a video interview (10 minutes). Here are some sample questions and a tentative syllabus to help you prepare for the exam:
- Listen to spoken words then proceed to select the original ones
- Analyzing written words and selecting the original ones
- Fill the text that is missing letters
- Illustrate an image by writing or reading aloud
- Record while saying a written sentence
- Answering a question verbally
- Typing a sentence while hearing to it
- Writing a response of around 50 words
- A writing test on the given topic
- An speaking assignment for the Interview Test
Duolingo Accepted Universities in UK
Here are some of the top universities in the UK that accept the Duolingo English proficiency test:
- Anglia Ruskin University
- Bangor University
- University of Bristol
- Brunel University
- University of Glasgow
- University of Birmingham
- Queen’s University Belfast
- Middlesex University
- University of Stirling
- Plymouth University
- University of Hertfordshire
- Leeds Beckett University
Duolingo Accepted Universities in USA
Here are some of the top universities in USA that accept Duolingo English proficiency test:
- University of North Alabama
- Arizona State University
- University of Arkansas
- California Institute of Technology
- California State University Northridge
- Humboldt State University
- Yale University
- University of Bridgeport
- Florida Atlantic University
- Georgia State University
- University of Idaho
- Illinois Institute of Technology
- Carnegie Mellon University
Duolingo Accepted Universities in Canada
Here are some of the top universities in Canada that accept Duolingo English proficiency test:
- Algoma University
- Cape Breton University
- Concordia University
- University of Calgary
- University of Alberta
- Thompson Rivers University
- University of New Brunswick – Saint John
- University of Windsor
- Yorkville University, Toronto
- University of Regina
Duolingo Accepted Universities in Germany
Check out the best Duolingo accepted universities in Germany:
- Bard College Berlin
- Berlin International University of Applied Sciences
- Brand University of Applied Sciences
- IU Internationale Hochschule
- Jacobs University Bremen
- Schiller International University, Heidelberg Campus
- University of Applied Sciences Europe Germany
- Victoria International University of Applied Sciences
- Accadis Hochschule Bad Homburg
- Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg
- Hertie School Germany Hochschule Furtwangen University
- IUBH Fernstudium
- Jacobs University Bremen
- Technische Universität Berlin
Duolingo Accepted Universities in Australia
Here are some of the top universities in Australia that accept Duolingo English proficiency test:
- Australian National University
- Carnegie Mellon University
- Griffith University
- Ad Astra Institute
- JMC Academy
- Kaplan Business School
- Melbourne Institute of Technology
- Monash College
Duolingo Accepted Universities in New Zealand
- Massey University
- University of Otago
- University of Waikato
- Victoria University of Wellington
- New Zealand Institute of Studies
Duolingo Accepted Universities in Europe
- European Leadership University, Cyprus
- Central European University – Graduate Admissions, Hungary
- University of Applied Sciences, Europe
- European Leadership University, Netherlands
Explore: IELTS vs TOEFL
Duolingo Accepted Universities in Japan
- Doshisha University, The Institute for the Liberal Arts
- International College of Liberal Arts (iCLA)
- Yamanashi Gakuin University
- Kansai Gaidai University
- Kyoto University of Advanced Science
- Nagoya University
- Japan Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University (APU)
- Japan Ritsumeikan University
- Japan Temple University
- Tokyo Christian University
- Tokyo International University
- Tokyo Metropolitan University
- University of Aizu
- University of Tsukuba
- Waseda University – School of International Liberal Studies
Given the remote nature of the test, it raises many questions regarding the authenticity of the scores as there is a lot of scope for students to cheat in this exam. Although, this was a major limitation for the test in the beginning but now they have developed several solutions as a response. During the video interview, the candidate needs to verify their identity and these tests are also reviewed by actual human proctors. These tests use specialized softwares which tracks eye-movements of the candidate and indicates whether the candidate is using any unethical way of passing the exam. Thus, the Duolingo test tries its best to minimize the cheating during exams.
Explore: TOEFL Sample Speaking Questions
Yes, 125 is a good score in the Duolingo English test. It is equivalent to a 7.5 Band in IELTS.
Duolingo assesses candidates on four criteria which are reading, writing, listening and speaking. Since then some of the universities have started accepting Duolingo English proficiency exam scores but not all of them. But, with the pandemic disrupting the whole world and everything shifting towards digital means, many universities started looking for alternatives to the traditional English proficiency tests. IELTS and TOEFL could not be conducted due to the test centres being closed.
No, it is not a fake test. It is accepted by 3000 institutes including the IVY League universities and hundreds of organisations for job search.
Yes, Duolingo is accepted in the UK. Here are some universities accepting Duolingo scores:
Anglia Ruskin University
University of Bristol
University of Glasgow
University of Birmingham
Queen’s University Belfast
University of Stirling
University of Hertfordshire
Leeds Beckett University
We hope that this blog familiarized you with the Duolingo English test procedures and various schools accepting it. Thinking of studying abroad? Connect with Leverage Edu experts to get assistance in choosing the right course for yourself and getting admission at your dream university. Sign up for a free session with us now!