The contribution made by Medical professionals, be it MBBS doctors or Pathologists towards building a healthy society and saving countless lives across the globe is commendable. Equally, the expansion of the internet and technology gives credence to the fact that the Medical sector along with its subfields, has achieved an unmissable and rapid growth and now offers a plethora of lucrative options for students. Apart from scores of Medical Science courses, Radiology, as a discipline has emerged over the years. Since the outbreak of many diseases, the significance of radiology has grown considerably. This, in turn, has increased the demand for professionals. As a result, educational institutions across the world have started offering Radiology courses right from undergraduate to postgraduate levels. Though BSc Radiology is a popular choice, scores of students now also pursue Diploma in Radiology. This blog will take you through the diploma courses offered in this field along with eligibility, top universities, and scope.
This Blog Includes:
What is Dimploma in Radiology?
Running for a period of 3 years, Diploma in Radiology imparts extensive knowldege in areas like Patient Care, Imaging Techniques, Biochemistry, Tomography, etc. Apart from concepts pertaining to branches of Biology, Physics, and Chemistry, the students also learn about therapeutic and diagnostic radiography. Using different imaging techniques like Ultrasound, CT scan, MRI Scan, X-Ray, fluoroscopy, mammography, etc, the Radiologists examine ailments in-depth which are not commonly visible to a doctor.
Looking for free career counselling? Click Here to book your 30 minutes free session now!
|Course Name||Diploma in Radiology|
|Type of Examination||Semester Based|
|Eligibility Criteria||10+2 Pass-out|
|Basic Admission Criteria||Merit / Entrance-based|
|Average Salary||1 to 10 lakhs INR|
Diploma in Radiology Syllabus
In order to opt for a Diploma in Radiology and study the course in-depth, it is necessary to have a thorough understanding of the basic syllabus pertaining to the course. Glance through the table below to get a brief overview of the subjects that are generally taught in this program:
|Introduction to Radiography||Computed Tomography||Nuclear Medicine Imaging||Radiation Physics|
|Anatomy||Imaging Techniques||Pathology||Medical Physics|
|Biochemistry||Magnetic Resonance and Imaging||Physics of Radiology||Radio-Diagnosis|
|Different Radiographic Techniques||Ultrasound Imaging||Communicative English||Patient care and hospital practice|
Note: This is a generalized syllabus. The subjects can vary from one institute to another.
Candidates should be familiar with the basic eligibility criteria in order to pursue Diploma in Radiology form top Medical colleges in India. The prerequisites needed have been given a rundown below:
- Candidates should complete their 10+2 from a recognized board with BiPC subjects and a minimum of 60% [can vary for different institutes]
- Those candidates who are appearing for their final examination can also apply for the course.
- The admission will either be merit-based, through competitive exams conducted at a national level or by the university itself.
- Though not a mandatory requirement but having good analytical and communication skills can help you achieve milestones.
To make your way through the Diploma in Radiology, students will have to seek admission either through qualifying entrance examination or on merit basis. For the ones applying through the merit process, the scores/ grades of the previous degree will be taken into account. On the other hand, stated below are some of the popular entrance exams that you may be asked to qualify for pursuing a diploma in Radiology-
- Manipal University Radiography Entrance Exam
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences Radiography Entrance Exam
- Andhra University Radiography Entrance Exam
- University of Medical Sciences Radiography Entrance Exam
There are many prestigious institutions across the country offering a Diploma in Radiology. Not only do they focus on providing quality education through a comprehensive syllabus but also offer world-class educational setup and dedicated mentorship. Enlisted are some of the educational institutions offering this course:
- Assam Down Town University
- Aarogyam Medical College and Hospital, Haridwar
- Bollineni Paramedical School, Andhra Pradesh
- Adichunchanagiri Institute of Medical Science (AIMS), Mandya
- Delhi Institute of Technology and Paramedical Sciences
- Father Muller Medical College, Mangalore
- Gandhi Medical College, Bhopal
- Government Medical College, Jammu
- Government Medical College, Surat
- Government Medical College, Nagpur
- Geetanjali Medical College and Hospital, Udaipur
- Government Medical College, Amritsar
- HM Patel Institute of Post Graduate Studies, Gujarat
- Jadavpur University, Kolkata
- Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College, Belgaum
- JJM Medical College, Davanagere
- Kasturba Medical College Manipal, Udipi
- King George’s Medical University, Lucknow
- M.S. Ramaiah Medical College, Bangalore
- Maharani Laxmi Bai Medical College, Jhansi
- Mahatma Gandhi Memorial Medical College, Indore
- Swami Rama Himalayan University, Dehradun
- West Bengal University of Health Sciences
Diploma in Radiology: Career Prospects
Since the field of Radiology offers an array of lucrative career options, a lot of companies both in India and abroad hire skilful candidates. Diploma in Radiology holders can find employment opportunities in government and private Healthcare Centers, Research Laboratories, Nursing Homes, Universities and Colleges, Diagnostic and Mental Health Care, etc. A graduate can hone skills by working in some of the profiles which have been listed below:
- Radiology Technician
- CT Scan Technologist
- MRI Technician
- Radiography Technologist
- Ultrasound Technologist
- Radiography Nurse
- Cardiovascular Technologist
- Key Account Manager
- Medical Advisor
The technological innovation has taken radiology to new heights and has equally reduced the doctors’ effort in diagnosing the disease in the patient. Therefore, the expansion in the field of Radiology has given an array of options for professionals to opt it as a career. Besides, short term courses like Diploma in Radiology have helped the medical industry grow with the assistance provided by professionals who understand the subject and patient’s nerve.