Fire safety has developed from the Great Fire of London in 1066 to the present day. With high rising buildings and modern infrastructure coming up in every city, the importance of the Diploma in Fire and Safety has increased considerably. Also known as a sub compound of building safety, fire, and safety, it is the set of practices intended to reduce the destruction caused by fire. Being one of the toughest and demanding fields which deal with the prevention of fire, it is a dangerous profession that requires a strong sense of commitment to public services and hence, is equally respected by people. For this reason, the Fire and Safety department is one of the emerging fields of study for students.
This Blog Includes:
- What is Diploma in Fire and Safety?
- Why Study Diploma in Fire & Safety?
- Diploma in Fire and Safety Management: Course Highlights
- Course Overview of Fire Safety Diploma
- Diploma in Fire and Safety: Admission Process
- Diploma in Fire and Safety: Eligibility Criteria
- Top Colleges for Diploma in Fire and Safety: India
- Fire Safety Diploma Syllabus
- Salary after diploma in Fire and Safety
- Fire Safety Diploma Jobs
- Future Scope of Diploma in Fire and Safety
What is Diploma in Fire and Safety?
The Diploma in Fire Safety is a one-year course that satisfies the legal criteria for addressing the tasks and obligations of a firefighter or fire supervisor, making them capable of restricting, controlling, and extinguishing a fire at the support level. Every industry, factory, mall, power sector, oil and gas refinery, or any other institution needed by Indian law to be safeguarded from fire hazard must employ a fireman. This particular fire and safety diploma education qualifies students to work as a Fireman, Fire Safety Assistant, or Safety Supervisor in any sector in India or abroad.
Why Study Diploma in Fire & Safety?
- Through intensive and exhausting training and study sessions, the programme assists applicants in becoming effective safety personnel. The demand for more safety workers has risen dramatically in tandem with the increase in hazard factors.
- A Diploma in Fire and Safety Management degree might be beneficial for those applicants who want to pursue engineering in this subject. Despite the fact that the majority of career possibilities in this industry are tied to crisis management and security, the opportunities will grow significantly over time. The reason for this is that as the sector grows, the need for safety measures grows as well.
- Industries such as the Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC), the Central Industrial Security Force (CNSC), or the mining industry, for example, have a high risk of this type of accident owing to human error or malfunctioning machinery. Because these regions normally contain a large number of workers and personnel, even a little incident might result in the loss of many lives. As a result, the firefighter must take the necessary safety precautions.
Diploma in Fire and Safety Management: Course Highlights
|Duration||1-Year / 2- Years|
|Course Fee||Up to INR 35,000|
|Starting Salary||INR 3-12 LPA|
|Top Recruiters||Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC), Central Industrial Security Force (CNSC), City Municipal Corporations, Health and Safety Department, Birla Tyre, etc.|
Course Overview of Fire Safety Diploma
A diploma in Fire and Safety course focuses on training students in the prevention of fire and safety methods. This 1-year course teaches students how to follow and maintain safety standards during a fire hazard. Upon the completion of 10+2 standards, students are allowed to study this course for a diploma. The Diploma in Fire and Safety is an open course that enables students to get better job opportunities and promotion in their field as fire and safety officer, health and safety manager, and in charge manager amongst many others. Although there is no requirement for any entrance examination for this course, the candidate must have secured a minimum of 40% or equivalent grades from a recognized statutory board. This diploma course of bespoke operational development and academic qualification makes it particularly attractive to both civil and industrial fire departments because they are available in various subsets according to the requirement of aspirants.
|Diploma in Fire Safety and Hazards Management||Class 10 or above||₹35000|
|Diploma in Fire and Safety Engineering||Class 10 or above||₹35000|
|Diploma in Industrial Safety||10+2 (science)/ 2 year ITI or equivalent||₹35000|
|Diploma in Fire Sub Officer||10+2 or equivalent||₹35000|
|Diploma in Safety Management||10th class or above||₹35000|
|PG Diploma in Industrial Safety||Any graduation||₹42500|
|PG Diploma Health Safety and Environment||B.Sc./Diploma/B.E.B.Tech||₹42500|
|PG Diploma in Disaster Management||Graduation in any stream||₹42500|
|PG Diploma in Fire Safety and Hazards Management||Any Graduation||₹42500|
|Advanced Diploma in Industry Safety||B.Sc./ Diploma/ B.E./B.Tech with 1 year of industrial experience||₹40000|
|Advanced Diploma in Safety Management||Any graduation||₹40000|
Diploma in Fire and Safety: Admission Process
- Admission to the Diploma in Fire and Safety Management programme is purely based on each candidate’s merit.
- The grades earned in the 12th grade serve as a foundation for admittance to the programme.
- However, depending on their selection standards, merit list cut-off grades might vary from institution to university.
- By visiting their favourite college’s official website and downloading a brochure, applicants can apply for the course both online and offline. To avoid any complications and guarantee that admission is accomplished without trouble, one must pay particular attention to all of the qualifications mentioned on the college’s website.
Diploma in Fire and Safety: Eligibility Criteria
- Candidates must have passed 10+2 exams in any relevant field (Commerce, Science, or Arts) with a minimum aggregate specified from a recognised board to be considered for admission.
- Candidates are not required to take an admission exam, a group discussion, or a personal interview.
Top Colleges for Diploma in Fire and Safety: India
Most institutes in India rely on the direct admission process for this course. There can be exceptions where few institutions are known to conduct a merit-based admission process. On the other hand, it is rare for foreign universities to offer a diploma course on fire and safety as most of their courses in this discipline are B.Sc or M.Sc programs for Engineers. Accordingly, the top-ranking colleges in India for Diploma in Fire and their course fee are as follows:
|Name of the College||Average Course Fee|
|Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur||₹38,600|
|Galgotias University, Greater Noida||₹1,60,200|
|Institute of Fire and Safety Management, New Delhi||₹50,000|
|Indian Institute of Fire Engineering, Nagpur||₹20,000|
|Indira Gandhi National Open University||₹25,000|
|Manav Bharti University, Solan||₹65,000|
|JRN Rajasthan Vidyapeeth University, Udaipur||₹20,000|
|Royal PG College, Lucknow||₹20,000|
|All India Institute of Management Studies, Chennai||₹5,600|
It is rare for foreign universities to offer a diploma course on fire and safety as most of their courses in this discipline are B.Sc or M.Sc programs for Engineers.
Fire Safety Diploma Syllabus
The curriculum for Diploma in Fire and Safety course is an incorporation of both practical and theoretical aspects. This curriculum consists mainly of training sessions that are carried on real-life scenarios and incidents, as well as mock drills. The program mainly focuses on teaching the science that is involved in fire and firefighting. The course broadly covers the topics related to fire prevention, communication systems, engineering of fire safety and first-aid carried on. After completion of this course, the students are empowered to start their professional careers in Fire and Safety Management.
|Special Fire Hazards||Fire Protection Systems|
|Fire fighting Equipment||Search and Rescue Techniques|
|Accident Investigation||Fire Saftey Risk Assessment|
|Health Safety Environment||Industrial Safety Management|
|Hydraulics and Pumps||Explosion and Fire Dynamics|
|Practical Training||Techniques to use during the fire, use of first-aids|
|Intricate study if protection systems used during the fire||Study of various tools of firefighting equipment|
|Steps to apply during emergencies||Cause and reason for the fire, investigate the lapse of security measures|
|In-depth study of risks and methods to deal||Monitoring safety and preventive measures to avoid accidents|
|Methods to apply in industries for safety||Use of hydraulics and pumps, methods to use them|
Salary after diploma in Fire and Safety
The Safety and Fire industry is a field that offers lucrative salary packages to its professionals. The salary of a fire safety engineer depends on the kind of their level or designation. Mentioned below are some of the fields and their packages.
|Fire Engineer||Government Sector: ₹15,000 – ₹20,000 per month;
Private Sector: ₹25,000 – ₹30,000 per month
|Fire Protection Engineer||₹4,50,000 per year|
|Fire Safety Officer||₹3,00,000 per year|
|Fire & Safety Consultant/Advisor||₹4,00,000 per year as a fresher|
Fire Safety Diploma Jobs
For those candidates who wish to pursue engineering in this field, going for a Diploma in Fire and Safety Management course can prove to be helpful. Though the number of job opportunities mainly in this sector are related to disaster management and security, the opportunities will considerably widen with time. The reason for it is with an increase in the industry’s requirement for safety measures is also increasing. There are many job opportunities in Refineries, Industries, Electricity Boards, Fire safety Training Institutes, Armed Forces, Chemical Plants, and other such areas.
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Safety Supervisor||Work includes under the guidance of the regional safety manager, carrying on the necessary steps to ensure the safety of staff, company, and people.||₹2,30,817|
|Station Master/ Supervisor||Management and monitoring the activities of staff and subordinates||₹2,94,791|
|Fire Officer||Supervise all other departments of safety. Assure all the rules are followed with care.||₹2,60,000|
|Safety Consultant||Designs programs to enhance safety measures in the workplace||₹8,60,000|
Future Scope of Diploma in Fire and Safety
Every industry is expected to implement fire safety measures to keep everyone safe and to ensure that the industry does not suffer major financial losses as a result of such catastrophes. As a result, it’s a field that’s always in demand in the labour market. To put it another way, demand for this industry will continue to rise as long as the economy grows..
- Even a few students who are interested continue their studies in this subject so that they may obtain more information and better develop tactics to prevent catastrophes, or work in the technology sector to improve security equipment for people’s welfare and security.
Yes, the course has been approved by the Indian government.
Yes, however the cost varies from institution to college. For further information, candidates should go to the capsum as well as the hostel.
a bachelor’s degree in fire and safety management
Other than aiming for a job in India, aspirants can also target this career outside India as there is a huge demand for skilled professionals in Fire and Safety abroad. If you are interested to pursue further studies abroad in this field, you can gain in-depth knowledge and strategies to prevent the mishaps just like the Fire and Safety courses in India. Interested in planning to study abroad? Connect with Leverage Edu experts and we can assist you in the process of applying to the right universities with the right course.