“With sloping masts and dipping prow,
As who pursued with yell and blow
Still treads the shadow of his foe,
And forward bends his head,
The ship drove fast, loud roared the blast,
And southward aye we fled.”
– ‘The Rime of the Ancient Mariner‘ by Samuel Taylor Coleridge.
Samuel Taylor Coleridge intricately described the arduously adventurous journey of a sea voyager in his famous poem, ‘The Rime of the Ancient Mariner’. Nautical Science is a field of Maritime Studies and encompasses the knowledge of navigating and operating a ship. A BSc Nautical Science is an undergraduate degree program and focuses on the study of navigation and seamanship. If you are an adventurer at heart and want to pursue a profession where you will get to discover the farthest depths of seas, a BSc Nautical Science is an ideal program to begin with. Through this blog, we will be exploring the key details of this bachelor’s degree course in Nautical Science, along with its eligibility criteria and the top universities in the world for Maritime Studies.
Why Pursue BSc Nautical Science?
Focused on the fundamentals of Physics, Mathematics and Information Technology, a BSc Nautical Science is inclined towards the practical and theoretical aspects of Nautical Technology with a keen focus over the competencies and as well as skills required for ship maintenance, navigation as well as cargo operations. At the completion of this program, you will be required to undergo training at the sea that lasts for a year and thereafter you can appear for an oral examination, clearing which can attain a ‘Second Mate’s Foreign-going Certificate of Competency’. This certificate is essential to apply for the post of Navigation Officer in Merchant Navy ships. After clearing the oral and written examinations and completing 18 months of service as a Navigation Officer of Merchant Navy ships, you can apply for the ‘First Mate’s Foreign-going Certificate of Competency’ which is awarded to those who have completed 12 months of service as the Chief Mate.
Also Read: Merchant Navy Jobs
There are some general eligibility requirements you need to fulfil in order to apply for a BSc Nautical Science course. Here is a comprehensive list of the eligibility criteria for an undergraduate program in Nautical Science:
- The candidate needs to have passed their higher secondary exams in the Science stream which compulsorily includes Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry as the main subjects. The course requires you to score a minimum of 50% marks in each of the PCM subjects as well as English.
- The age limit for a BSc Nautical Science is 17-25.
- The candidates are required to have eyesight of 6/6 and should not suffer from colour blindness or night blindness. They should also understand the challenges and responsibilities that come along with seafaring roles and be physically fit for the same.
Top Universities for BSc Nautical Science
There is a wide range of academic institutions and universities across the globe that offers degree and diploma courses in Nautical Science and Maritime Studies. Below we have listed down the top universities and colleges that are renowned for their BSc Nautical Science courses:
- Liverpool John Moores University, UK
- University of Tasmania, UTAS, Australia
- Cork Institute of Technology, Ireland
- Cape Breton University, Canada
- Nelson Marlborough Institute of Technology, New Zealand
- Manukau Institute of Technology, New Zealand
- Marine Institute, Memorial University of Newfoundland, Canada
- Singapore Polytechnic, Singapore
- Universiti Malaysia Terengganu, Malaysia
Job Prospects in Nautical Science
There are numerous employment areas as well as job profiles that you can discover after completing BSc Nautical Science. Let’s first look at some of the areas of employment that Nautical Science graduates can opt for:
- Fire Stations
- Shipping and Docking Companies
- Colleges and Universities
- Indian Navy
Moreover, following are the key profiles in the field of Maritime Studies and its specialised field of Nautical Science:
- Operations Manager
- Trainee Navigating Officer
- Accounts Executive
- Officer/Sr. Officer (Port Operations)
- Marine Engineering Instructor
- Teacher and Lecturer
Thus, if you are fond of oceans and ships and want to build a career unravelling the farthest depths of seas, a BSc Nautical Science is the perfect one to go for. We hope that this course provided you with the key details on this undergraduate course as well as the career opportunities you can explore in this field. If you are looking for assistance in choosing the right college for pursuing a BSc Nautical Science, you can always get in touch with our Leverage Edu experts and we’ll guide in selecting an ideal course that can light your way to build a great career in Maritime Studies.