Sydney is one of the most famous cities in Australia to find internship opportunities. It is considered one of the most vibrant and cosmopolitan cities in the world, and it is also a great place for students to start their internship careers. Sydney has a diverse economy and a wide range of industries and also offers various internship opportunities for all interests and skill sets. Aspiring candidates must explore the below article to know the benefits, types of visas required, requirements, industries, and how to find internships in Sydney.
Benefits of Internships in Sydney
Listed below are some of the benefits of internships in Sydney:
- There are secure job opportunities for individuals in Sydney who will get hired directly by their host company after they have successfully completed their internship.
- Candidates will receive job references from Sydney’s leading companies.
- Candidates will gain practical as well as hands-on experience in their chosen field in Sydney.
- Building a network with top professionals in the industry will help in get full time jobs in the near future.
- Candidates will receive one-on-one career coaching with industry experts in Sydney which will help them prepare & secure more job interviews and job offers.
Types of Visas for Internships in Sydney
Types of visas depend on various factors for internships in Sydney. Therefore, candidates aspiring to get internship opportunities in Sydney must check the types of visas:
- Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417 or 462): Candidates between the ages of 18 and 30 (or 35 for certain countries), are eligible for a working holiday visa. This visa allows an individual to work and travel in Sydney for up to 12 months, and also do an internship during their stay
- Temporary Activity Visa (Subclass 408): This visa allows an individual to come to Sydney and undertake an internship opportunity or other specified work experience. The candidates will be able to stay in Sydney for the duration of their internship or four years.
- Temporary Graduate Visa (Subclass 485): A temporary graduate visa is for international students who have recently graduated with the required skills and qualifications for specific occupations in Sydney. It allows an individual to live, study, and work in Sydney temporarily.
- Student Visa (Subclass 500): If an individual is a full-time student at a university in Sydney, however, they are able to work part-time during the academic year and full-time during school breaks.
Requirements for Getting Internships in Sydney
Check below the requirements to get Internships in Sydney:
- Age of the student must be 18 years
- Students must be enrolled in a course of study or must have graduated within the last 24 months
- Candidates must have a valid passport to stay and work in Sydney for at least six months of the intended stay
- In order to enter Sydney candidates must have health insurance as the city has a high-quality but expensive healthcare system
- Most of the internships in Sydney require a high level of English proficiency therefore it is important for the candidates to high level of English Proficiency
Also Read: How to Find an Internship in Australia
How to Find Internships in Sydney?
Interested candidates can find internships in Sydney in the following ways:
- Contacting Self-Educational Institutions: Candidates can start by asking their educational institution for advice. They will guide them in the right direction and will get an idea about where the students have interned before. Lecturers and course coordinators may have connections with local organizations that offer internship programs or may have paid internships available.
- Contact Directly with the Organisations: Candidates can even contact the organisations directly by visiting their respective websites and emailing the related contact their resume and cover letter.
- Attend Internship Programmes and Graduate Job Affairs: Candidates can Keep a check on any internship program and graduate job fairs that will be taking place at their educational institution. Networking at such events is a great way to secure an internship at a local company.
Top Industries Offering Internships in Sydney
For aspiring candidates listed below are the top industries that offer internships in Sydney:
Types of Internships and Average Salary in Sydney
Check below the type of internship opportunities and the average salary offered in Sydney:
|Type of Internship||Average Salary|
|Software Developer Intern||AUD 70k-80k / Year|
|Audit Vacation Program – Pre-register||AUD 52k / Year|
|Data Science and Analytics Summer Intern Program||AUD 57k-59k / Year|
|Social Media Marketing Intern||AUD 47k / Year|
|Reliability Maintenance Engineering Intern||AUD 56k-57k / Year|
The candidates can find internships in Sydney through websites such as Seek, Indeed, and Jora.
Candidates who are participating in the Professional Internship Program will not be paid for the internship as it is a voluntary non-paid training period. But if the candidates meet the requirements for a Stipend Internship Program, arranging a monthly stipend payment may be possible.
The candidates are required to obtain a Work and Holiday Visa in order to participate in the internship program in Sydney.
This was all about internships in Sydney, If you want to explore more such articles on internships follow Leverage Edu.