The University Assistant Exam is conducted by the KPSC to recruit candidates for various posts in the Universities of Kerela. The exam is conducted through online mode. Formerly, each university individually conducted the exam but after 2016, the Kerala Public Service Commission – KPSC took over the process. A University Assistant position is a part-time, non-permanent, contractual, unclassified position whereby individuals may be employed in non-teaching capacities that are restricted to a maximum of 19 hours of employment per week. If you are planning to appear for this exam in the coming year, read our blog to know all that is necessary!
|Name of recruiting organization||Kerala Public Service Commission (PSC)|
|Name of department||Kerala Universities|
|Name of post||Assistant|
|Number of vacancies||As per Notification|
|Mode of application||Online|
|Mode of recruitment||Direct Recruitment|
This Blog Includes:
- What is the University Assistant Exam?
- Eligibility Criteria
- Application Process
- Exam Pattern
- Syllabus of University Assistant Exam
- Steps to Download University Assistant Exam Admit Card 2023
- Selection Process
- How to Prepare for University Assistant Exam?
- Other Similar Exams
What is the University Assistant Exam?
The University Assistant test is being given to attract applicants for almost 500 positions in the state’s universities. Candidates must have a bachelor’s degree in any subject as a prerequisite.
Until last year, candidates were required to take only one Objective Type Test (OMR). This time, however, the recruitment may be based on both the preliminary and main examinations. The number of people that apply for the positions will determine the ultimate choice.
The prerequisites to qualify for the University Assistant Exam are as follows:
- A degree in any faculty from a recognized university or its equivalent.
- Candidates applying for the post must be above 18 years and below 36 years of age with relaxation given to Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes and Other Backward Communities.
- Applications are invited by KPSC online mode only. The applicant must register themselves in One Time Registration Tulasi.
- After Registration, the applicant has to log in to make a profile by using the ID and Password.
- Find the respective post and click on ‘Apply now’. Fill in the online application form where the candidate has to put in their personal and academic details.
- The last step in the application is to submit and download the form.
Note: University Assistant exam is usually conducted in June. The notification and dates for the calendar year 2020 are yet to be released.
Also, Read: List of Competitive Exams after 12th
Applicants who are appearing for Kerala PSC University Assistant Exam need to have a thorough understanding of the exam pattern. It is necessary to know the weightage of each section to perform well in the overall exam. Given below is the exam pattern of the exam:
- Total number of questions asked in the exam = 100
- The maximum marks are 100.
- Each question carries one mark
- Medium of Exam = English
- Duration of University Assistant Exam = 1hr 15 mins
- 0.33 marks were deducted for every wrong answer
Major Subjects in Kerala PSC University Assistant Exam
- General Knowledge & Current Affairs
- History- 10 marks
- Geography- 05 marks
- Economics- 05 marks
- Civics- 05 marks
- Indian Constitution- 05 marks
- Arts, Literature, Culture, Sports- 10 marks
- Basics of Computer- 05 marks
- Science & Technology- 05 marks
- Simple Arithmetic, Mental Ability, and Reasoning– 20 marks
- General English– 20 marks
- Regional Language (Malayalam, Kannada, Tamil)– 10 marks
Also, Read: IBPS RRB GBO Exam 2023
Syllabus of University Assistant Exam
To excel in competitive exams, it is necessary to know the syllabus for the same. The table given below encompasses important topics for the University Assistant Exam:
|1||Quantitative Aptitude||LCM and HCF, Test of Divisibility, Ratio and Proportion,
Interest, Time and Work,
Time and Distance,
Area and Volume, Trains,
Clocks, Problems on Ages,
|Mental Ability and
Reasoning, Sense of direction,
Date and Calendar,
Alphabetical Arrangement of words,
Common sense test,
Odd one out,
Dates and Calendar,
|3||General Science||Other basic facts in the field of Science, Common scientific facts, etc.|
||National and Regional
events, Cinema, Sports, literature, etc.
|5||Facts about India||Physical features,
Climate rivers, Soils,
Economy and Planning,
Period of Indian History
National Movement, etc.
|6||Renaissance of Kerala|| Renaissance in Kerala,
Yohannan, Ayankali-Pandit Karuppa,
Dr Palpu, Kumaranasan,
Blessed Kuriakose Alias
|7||Constitution of India and Civil Rights||Directive Principles, Basic Features, Union Territories, General public service commission and its appointments, Legislature-State executive, Human rights, Human Rights Commission, Women Empowerment, Union Government, Legislature, Fundamental rights and duties, Directive principle, Union government, State Executives, Women’s Commission, Right to Information, Information Commission, Apex courts, Atrocities against Scheduled Caste and Schedule Tribes.|
|8||General English||Grammar Agreement of
Subject and Verb,
Correct usage of Articles,
Direct and Indirect Speech, Active and Passive Voice,
Singular and Plural,
Synonyms and Antonyms,
Correction in Sentences,
Vocabulary, Gender, Idioms, One-word Substitutes,
|9||Social welfare schemes and measures||Antdyodaya Anna Yojana,
Balika Smridhi Yojana,
Samara Awaz Yojana,
National Food For Work
Indira Awas Yojana,
Prime Minister Rozgar
Rural Landless Employment Guarantee Program,
Development Scheme, etc.
|10||Information Technology and Cyber Laws||Computers, I.T.,
Cyber Laws, etc.
Grammar of Malayalam
Steps to Download University Assistant Exam Admit Card 2023
Follow the steps below to obtain your Kerala PSC University Assistant Admit Card 2023.
- Step 1: Go to the Kerala PSC 2023 official website at keralapsc.gov.in.
- Step 2: Select the Admit Card tab.
- Step 3: Enter your login credentials and click the Submit button.
- Step 4: Your Kerala PSC University Assistant Admit Card 2023 should now be shown on the screen.
- Step 5: Review and download your admission card
- Step 6: Make a hard copy for future reference.
Details Mentioned on Admit Card
The following details are mentioned on the university assistant exam admit card/hall ticket:
- Applicant Name
- Applicant Roll Number
- Applicant Photograph
- Exam Date and Time
- Examination Name and Code
- Exam Centre
- Reporting Time
- Candidate’s Date of Birth
- Category of Candidate (ST/ SC/ BC & Other)
- Exam Instructions
- Signature of candidate and exam counsellor
Also, Read: UPSC Exams
- If necessary, the Commission will hold an OMR/written test to shortlist candidates for the position of Assistant Professor.
- Those who pass the written exam will be called in for an interview, followed by document verification.
- Disciplinary action shall be taken against candidates who submit applications for the post with false claims of possessing specified qualifications, experience, etc. and provide examination confirmation, regardless of whether they have appeared or not.
How to Prepare for University Assistant Exam?
Be it RRB NTPC, TET, DU B.ED or other such exams, one needs to devise a proper strategy keeping in mind the strengths and weaknesses to score well. Glance through the following tips to prepare for the University Assistant Exam:
- Go through the syllabus and pattern thoroughly. If needed, keep the printout of the syllabus in front of you so that you don’t miss out on important topics.
- Solve previous year’s question papers. This will help you identify the important modules and will also improve your speed.
- Devote at least 1.5-2 hours to those topics or areas you are weak in.
- Give mock papers regularly
- Last, but not the least, revise what you have read every day.
Must Read: Kerala PSC Exam
Other Similar Exams
- SSC Combined Higher Secondary Level Exam (SSC CHSL)
- SBI PO and Clerk Exam
- SSC CGLE
- Combined Defense Services Examination (CDSE)
- IFS Exam Syllabus
- Kerela PSC Exam
- Indian Statistical Service Examination
Ans. A University Assistant position is a part-time, non-permanent, contractual, unclassified position whereby individuals may be employed in non-teaching capacities that are restricted to a maximum of 19 hours of employment per week.
Ans. The online application period begins on November 30, 2022, and application forms can be submitted via the online portal. Candidates for the Kerala PSC University Assistant position must have a Bachelor’s degree and be between the ages of 18 and 36.
Ans. In educational institutions, a college assistant is in charge of administrative, clerical, and research tasks. Your daily responsibilities will vary, but they will often entail answering phones, keeping records such as rosters and inventory control records, and procuring office supplies and equipment.
Hope this blog has provided the necessary information and detail regarding the University Assistant Exam. You can also explore teaching opportunities at universities abroad with the help of Leverage Edu. Register for a free career counselling session with us, now!