Scholarships are truly a boon for students who struggle financially while completing their education. Young talents are often buried under the immense pressure of making ends meet and that’s where financial aid schemes bring a ray of hope for the underprivileged to achieve their academic and professional goals. The University Grant Commission (UGC) of India is a statutory body that looks after the quality and standards of higher education in India. The UGC grants many scholarships and fellowships to people who belong to the strata of society which are deprived of basic necessities. Read this blog to know all about UGC PG Scholarship for Professional Courses for SC/ST.
This Blog Includes:
List of UGC Scholarships and Fellowships
Before exploring the details of the UGC PG Scholarship for Professional Courses for SC/ST, let’s first take a look at all the major UGC Scholarships and Fellowships for all categories:
|UGC Scholarships||UGC Fellowships|
|Post Graduate Indira Gandhi Scholarship Scheme for Single Girl Child
Special Scholarship Scheme Ishan Uday for NER
Swami Vivekananda Single Girl Child Scholarship for Research in Social Sciences
Post Graduate Merit Scholarship for University Rank Holder
Post Graduate Scholarships for Professional Courses for SC/ST Candidates
Post-Doctoral Fellowship to SC/ST Candidates
Post-Doctoral Fellowship to Women Candidates
National Fellowship for Scheduled Caste Students
National Fellowship for Persons with Disabilities
Dr D. S. Kothari Postdoctoral Fellowship Scheme
Maulana Azad National Fellowship for Minority Students
National Fellowship for OBC Candidate
National Fellowship for Higher Education of ST Students
Dr S. Radhakrishnan Post-Doctoral Fellowship in Humanities and Social Sciences
Let’s take a look at the UGC Post Graduate Scholarship for professional courses for SC/ST candidates:
UGC PG Scholarship for Professional Courses for SC/ST Candidates
Scheduled Tribes (ST) and Scheduled Castes (ST) are considered as minorities in India and this scholarship by UGC is mainly for students belonging to SC/ST categories. UGC PG Scholarship for Professional Courses for SC/ST Candidates aims to provide such students with the much-needed financial aid for postgraduate-level professional programs in disciplines like Engineering & Technology, Pharmacy, Management, etc. in Indian Colleges or Universities or Institutions that are recognised by UGC.
The criteria for eligibility for UGC PG Scholarship for Professional Courses for SC/ST Candidates are as follows:
- The scholarship is only applicable to candidates of the SC/ST category.
- The candidate should have acquired a graduate degree in the relevant subject
- The candidate ought to be in the first year pursuing a full-time professional course during the present academic year at a postgraduate level.
- The candidate must be a student of any of the following Colleges/Universities/Institutions
- Affiliated under sections 2(f) & and 12(B) of The UGC Act.
- UGC recognised deemed-to-be-universities under Section 3 of the UGC Act, 1956
- Central or State govt-funded Colleges/Universities/Institutions
- Institutes that are of National significance.
- The male candidates applying for the scholarship should not be more than 45 years old while the age limit for female applicants is 50 years as on 1st July of the applying year.
- Relaxation of the age limit might be provided under exceptional cases.
- Candidates pursuing pg courses in professional subjects by Distance Education method by correspondence are not eligible.
- If you are pursuing a program at academic institutions like the Dental Council of India (DCI), Medical Council of India (MCI), NCTE, NCTIS, AICTE, Bar Council of India (BCI), Pharmacy Council of India (PCI), INC, Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR), Rehabilitation Council of India (RCI), and Forensic Regulatory & Development Authority of India(FRDAI) which are accepted through the regulatory council are considered professional course and hence are competent to get the financial aid.
Here is the process of application for UGC PG Scholarship for Professional Courses for SC/ST Candidates:
- The candidates should fit the criteria of eligibility before applying.
- Once the candidates fulfill the eligibility criteria, they are required to apply online through National Scholarship Portal against the advertisement about UGC PG Scholarship for Professional Courses for SC/ST Candidates which is published by the UGC through print media, employment news and official website after the candidate obtains admission in a recognized Colleges/Universities/Institutions.
- The online application is also verified by the Colleges/Universities/Institutions where the candidate is admitted.
Merits and Rewards
The rewards and merits that a candidate receives under UGC PG Scholarship for Professional Courses for SC/ST category are as follows:
- A total of 1000 slots are available annually for the candidates.
- The tenure of the scholarship depends on the pg course taken which usually is for two or three years and will not be extended.
- The selected candidates for the scholarship who opted for ME/ M.Tech will be provided with a sum of Rs.7800/- while the other professional courses the amount is Rs 4,500/- per month.
Release of Grant
Once the application process of UGC PG Scholarship for Professional Courses for SC/ST candidates gets over, the entries are scrutinized and suitable candidates are shortlisted. The submission of payment by those applicants which have been selected needs to carried out through DBT (Direct Benefit Transfer) mode. Afterwards, the list will be sent to the Public Financial Management System (PFMS) by the NIC. PFMS will then create payment files of the selected candidates and scholarships would be awarded till the end of the postgraduate course.
UGC follows a certain procedure for keeping track of scholarships and their renewal. The head of the department supervises the conduct and execution of the candidate studying in their university. Here is the renewal process of the UGC PG Scholarship for Professional courses for SC/ST:
- In order to renew the scholarship, the applicant needs to provide a yearly progress report which should be signed by the HoD and Registrar of the University or by the college’s Principal or Head of the Institution or any other designated officer.
- The candidates of preceding years need to continue to follow the UGC guidelines of renewal through the designated bank branches.
UGC PG Scholarship for Professional Courses for SC/ST candidates might get cancelled in the following scenarios:
- If and when the applicant is unable to pass the first year of their PG program in first division or equivalent CGPA score.
- If and when the awardee discontinues studies due to personal reasons.
- The awardee changes the course of study.
- The Candidate is subsequently found not eligible on account of flawed or incorrect information given in an online application or erroneous bank details.
- The candidate fails to secure a 1st class or equivalent CGPA/Grade during semester exams.
Hence, we hope that this blog cleared all your doubts pertaining to UGC PG Scholarship for Professional Courses for SC/ST. Looking for scholarships to study abroad? Our Leverage Edu experts are here to guide you in finding the best scholarship as per your chosen course and university! Sign up for a free session with us now!