A PhD in Zoology is a doctorate program. Zoology is a topic meant for students interested in studying animal behaviour at a higher level and as an academic specialization, as well as evolutionary patterns, species and features, and the structure, function, behaviour, and evolution of animals. This blog contains all you need to know about PhD in Zoology.
This Blog Includes:
|Program Full Name||Doctor Of Philosophy In Zoology|
|Duration of the Program||3 Years|
|Admission Process||Entrance Exam and Merit-Based|
|Average Program Fee||Rs. 2 Lakh – Rs. 3 Lakh|
About PhD in Zoology
A PhD in Zoology is a three-year program. Zoology is an empirical field that deals with organisms, their structural categories, and the science of their interactions with their surroundings. There are several sub-branches in this industry, including:
- Ichthyology- Fish and their habitats are studied in Ichthyology. The study includes the study of cartilaginous fish, bony fish, and jawless fish in particular
- Ornithology- Bird study is known as ornithology. This field is interesting in the sense that a lot of research is contributed by amateurs as well regarding the behaviour, ecology, migration, etc. of the birds.
- Mammalogy– The science of animals is known as mammalogy. The field can include various topics like anatomy, ecology, palaeontology, behaviour, etc.
The PhD program focuses on evolutionary patterns, species, and traits, as well as the composition, functioning, activities, and development of organisms, including living beings, and is designed for students who want to pursue advanced animal behaviour research and academic specialization.
PhD in Zoology Top Entrance Exams
Some of the top PhD in zoology entrance Exams are listed below:
|Entrance Exam||Exam Date||Application Date||Exam Mode||Conducting Body|
|UGC(NET/JRF)||September||March to June||Online||NTA|
|CSIR(NET/JRF)||The second week of November||August to September||Online||NTA|
|ICAR||September end||March to June||Online||NTA|
|SLET||Depending on the state||Depending on the state||Online||NTA|
|GATE||Mid-February||September to October||Online||NCB-GATE|
|GPAT||February end||December to January||Online||NTA|
Syllabus For PhD in Zoology
Before taking up a course it is extremely important that a student goes through the syllabus of it. Following is the list of subjects that come under the syllabus of PhD in Zoology:
- Environmental Biology & Toxicology
- Fisheries and Aquaculture
- Genetics and Molecular Biology
- Wildlife Biology
- Stem Cells and Developmental Biology
Also Read: How to Choose a Research Topic?
Students should meet the following basic eligibility standards to pursue PhD in zoology:
- A postgraduate degree in a related area from a recognized institute/university is necessary.
- A minimum aggregate post-graduation score of 55 per cent (50 per cent for SC/ST/PH applicants) or an equivalent grade is required.
- At least 5 years of experience in senior-level education, industry, administration, or professional roles.
Cost Of Studying PhD in Zoology
The price of tuition varies depending on the university. Following is the list of general PhD in zoology tuition fees in India and worldwide:
|PhD In Zoology Tuition Fees In India||INR 20,000 – INR 8,00,000|
|PhD In Zoology Tuition Fees In Abroad||INR 14,87,000- INR 48,87,000|
Top Universities in the World
The top universities abroad that offer PhD zoology degrees are listed below and their respective QS World University Rankings 2023.
|Name of University||QS World University Rankings 2023|
|Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)||1|
|University of Cambridge||2|
|The University of California, Berkeley (UCB)||27|
|Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH Zurich)||9|
|University of California, Los Angeles, UCLA||44|
|The University of California, San Diego, UCSD||53|
Also Read: PhD in Canada with Scholarship
Top Universities in India
The top universities in India that offer PhD zoology degrees are listed below along with their NIRF Rankings:
|Name of University||Location||Average Fees (per annum)|
|Loyola College||Chennai||INR 7,200|
|Presidency College||Chennai||INR 2,695|
|Christ University||Bangalore||INR 51,667|
|Ramakrishna Mission Vivekananda College||Chennai||INR 2,205|
|Jadavpur University||Kolkata||INR 2,338|
|IIT Kanpur||Kanpur||INR 28,044|
|The North Cap University||Gurgaon||INR 72,000|
|Shiv Nadar University||Greater Noida||INR 1,23,000|
|BIT Mesra||Ranchi||INR 59,000|
|Banaras Hindu University||Varanasi||INR 6,627|
Future Scope of PhD in Zoology
People with a BSc, MSc or PhD in Zoology can work in a range of fields in both the public and private sectors. Among the positions offered are:
- Animal Behaviorist
- Wildlife Biologist
- Zoo Curators
- Wildlife Educators
- Zoology faculty
- Forensic specialists
- Lab technicians
- You will be dealing with scientific data therefore, analytical skills are required to understand and interpret the data.
- The data will be complex and you will need to handle complex data to make sense of the patterns.
- Research and Observation skills
- Good project management skills if you work in research, you will need to carefully plan and budget your research requirements.
- Good communication skills
- An understanding of genetic mapping techniques.
- Ability to work alone in a research environment and coordinate with a team for big projects.
Top Areas of Recruitment
- Wildlife Sanctuaries
- National Parks
- Botanical Gardens
- Veterinary Hospitals
- Pharmaceutical Companies
- Fisheries and Aquaculture
- Research Laboratories
- Animal Clinics
Completing a PhD in Zoology can open up doors for many career opportunities like teaching at universities and colleges, wildlife educator, animal forensic expert, etc.
Ecology, Anatomy, Paleontology, Behaviour, etc.
The minimum program duration of PhD in Zoology is 3 years which includes course work while the maximum duration is 6 years.
Are you also looking for opportunities to study abroad? If the answer is yes, the experts at Leverage Edu can make your journey easier as they will be guiding you throughout the process. To take help from the experts simply register on our website or call us at 1800-572-000.