A PhD in Zoology is a doctorate program. Zoology is a topic meant for students interested in studying animal behaviour at a higher level and as an academic specialization, as well as evolutionary patterns, species and features, and the structure, function, behaviour, and evolution of animals. This blog contains all you need to know about PhD in Zoology.
|Program Full Name||Doctor Of Philosophy In Zoology|
|Duration of the Program||3 Years|
|Admission Process||Entrance Exam and Merit-Based|
|Average Program Fee||Rs. 2 Lakh – Rs. 3 Lakh|
This Blog Includes:
About PhD in Zoology
A PhD in Zoology is a three-year program. Zoology is an empirical field that deals with organisms, their structural categories, and the science of their interactions with their surroundings. There are several sub-branches in this industry, including:
- Ichthyology- Fish and their habitats are studied in Ichthyology. The study includes the study of cartilaginous fish, bony fish, and jawless fish in particular
- Ornithology- Bird study is known as ornithology. This field is interesting in the sense that a lot of research is contributed by amateurs as well regarding the behavior, ecology, migration, etc. of the birds.
- Mammalogy- The science of animals is known as mammalogy. The field can include various topics like anatomy, ecology, paleontology, behavior, etc.
The PhD program focuses on evolutionary patterns, species, and traits, as well as the composition, functioning, activities, and development of organisms, including living beings, and is designed for students who want to pursue advanced animal behavior research and academic specialization.
PhD in Zoology Top Entrance Exams
Some of the top PhD in zoology entrance Exams are listed below:
|Entrance Exam||Exam Date||Application Date||Exam Mode||Conducting Body|
|UGC(NET/JRF)||September||March to June||Online||NTA|
|CSIR(NET/JRF)||The second week of November||August to September||Online||NTA|
|ICAR||September end||March to June||Online||NTA|
|SLET||Depending on the state||Depending on the state||Online||NTA|
|GATE||Mid-February||September to October||Online||NCB-GATE|
|GPAT||February end||December to January||Online||NTA|
Syllabus For PhD in Zoology
The semester-wise syllabus covered in the PhD in Zoology is shown in the table below:
|Sr. No.||Subjects of Study|
|4||Environmental Biology & Toxicology|
|5||Fisheries and Aquaculture|
|6||Genetics and Molecular Biology|
|9||Stem Cells and Developmental Biology|
As a criterion of eligibility, aspirants must achieve the following basic eligibility standards to pursue PhD in zoology:
- A postgraduate degree in a related area from a recognized institute/university is necessary.
- A minimum aggregate post-graduation score of 55 per cent (50 per cent for SC/ST/PH applicants) or equivalent grade is required.
- At least 5 years of experience in senior-level education, industry, administration, or professional roles.
Cost Of Studying PhD in Zoology
The price of tuition varies depending on the university. Following is the list of typical PhD in zoology tuition fees in India and worldwide is provided below.
|PhD In Zoology Tuition Fees In India||INR 20,000 – INR 8,00,000|
|PhD In Zoology Tuition Fees In Abroad||INR 14,87,852- INR 48,87,135|
Top Universities in the World
The top universities abroad that offer PhD zoology degrees are listed below, according to the QS World University Rankings 2022.
|QS World University Rankings 2022||Name of University|
|#02||Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)|
|#03||University of Cambridge|
|#06||The University of California, Berkeley (UCB)|
|#07||Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH Zurich)|
|#09||University of California, Los Angeles, UCLA|
|#10||The University of California, San Diego, UCSD|
Top Universities in India
The top universities in India that offer PhD zoology degrees are listed below, according to the NIRF Ranking
|NIRF Ranking||Name of University|
|#05||Aligarh Muslim University|
Future Scope of PhD in Zoology
- Animal Behaviorist
- Wildlife Biologist
- Zoo Curators
- Wildlife Educators
- Zoology faculty,
- Forensic specialists,
- Lab technicians,
- You will be dealing with scientific data and analytical skills are required to understand and interpret the data.
- The data will be complex and you will need to handle complex data to make sense of the patterns
- Research and Observation skills
- Good project management skills if you work in research, you will need to carefully plan and budget your research requirements
- Good communication skills
- An understanding of genetic mapping techniques
- Ability to work alone in a research environment and coordinate with a team for big projects
Top Areas of Recruitment
- Wildlife Sanctuaries,
- National Parks,
- Botanical Gardens,
- Veterinary Hospitals
- Pharmaceutical Companies,
- Fisheries and Aquaculture,
- Research Laboratories,
- Aquariums, and
- Animal Clinics
If you have decided to pursue a PhD in Zoology, you should realize that the job opportunities are much better if you can clear a top University. If you need to clear a top University, apart from the academic results, you require a perfect application as the competition is immense. You can seek the help of Leverage Edu experts to help you with the application so that you can achieve your dreams. Call us at 1800 57 2000 to book a FREE 30-minutes counselling session today