Has anyone ever thought or wondered about building a career in gaming? Did it ever strike you that you can be a professional gamer and can make money out of it? Well if you haven’t, you’ll be surprised to know that it is very much possible! In this blog we will be guiding you all on how to make a career in online gaming. You all will be surprised to know that online gaming is the new rapidly rising industry in the era of digitalisation. It is not only one of the fastest-growing segments in India but also becoming a career option for a vast number of talented youth from around the country and worldwide, belonging to different backgrounds altogether. So if you want to pursue a career in the online gaming industry, here’s everything you need to know.
This Blog Includes:
Is Gaming a Good Career Option?
Is it good to invest in online gaming and make a career out of it? Well, we all know that the future belongs to digitalisation. Soon more and more opportunities will be making its way for online platforms. Also, we all know the fact that over the years, the popularity and the market for video games have always increased and are touching new heights. The constant and continuous improvements in technology and the growth of e-games have finally taken the centre stage. Thus, if video games excite you and you think that you can be in the industry of online gaming then you should keep reading our blog.
Careers and Job opportunities in the Gaming Industry
Online gaming has a huge potential and new opportunities both on the technical/design side as well as on the business side. Here are some few options and careers to think of related to online gaming-
- Game designers
- Game developers
- Gaming Software developers
- Game programmer
- Graphic artist
- Audio engineers
- Game testers
- Customer care specialistshttps://leverageedu.com/blog/gaming-courses/
- Technical support assistance
- Marketing managers and analysts
- Professional gamer/Trainor
- Video game music developer
Must Read: Gaming Courses
Best Gaming Courses available Abroad
Do you wish to kickstart your gaming career but thinking of getting a degree or qualification first to be a professional! What is better than pursuing Graduation or Masters programs specialised in video gaming and animations from renowned Universities abroad. You will not only get quality education in your opted field but will also get a great amount of exposure and career opportunities. Here is the list of best universities abroad that are offering specialised courses in video gaming.
|City, University of London||United Kingdom||M.Sc in computer science with game technology
Graduate Diploma in computer games technology
|University of South Wales||United Kingdom||M.A. in animations||1 year|
|University of the West of England||United Kingdom||M.Sc in commercial games development
M.A. in virtual reality
|Teesside University||United Kingdom||M.A. in 3D games and arts
M.A. in animations
|Trinity College Dublin||Ireland||M.Sc in interactive digital media||1 year|
|Aalto University||Finland||M.A. in game design and productions||2 years|
|IT University of Copenhagen||Denmark||M.Sc in Games||2 years|
|Full Sail University||USA||M.Sc in game design
M.Sc in game design (online)
|University of Bremen||Germany||M.Sc digital media||2 years|
|University of Michigan||USA||PGC in game design||1 year|
Courses Available in India
If you don’t wish to go abroad but still wish to pursue courses related to video gaming development, animations and a lot more then don’t worry because Leverage Edu has got your back in everything. The table given below will show you the list of colleges or Universities that are offering graduate programs and courses specialised in online or video gaming.
|University of Petroleum and Energy Studies||Dehradun||B.Tech in Graphics and Gaming||4 years|
|Graphic Era||Dehradun||B.Sc in animation and gaming||3 years|
|iCAT Design and Media College||Bangalore||Bachelors’ in game art and design
M.Sc in game technology
PGD game development
|Zee Institute of Creative Arts||Coimbatore||Certification in Gaming||10 days|
|International Academy of Computer Graphics||Hyderabad||M.A. in multimedia
Diploma in Animation
|Era University||Lucknow||B.Sc in game design and development
PGD in game design and development
|SGT University||Gurgaon||B.Tech in animation and game design||4 years|
|IIFA Multimedia||Bangalore||B.Sc in game design and development
Diploma in game designing
|Gujrat University||Ahmedabad||M.Sc in game design mobile and desktop||2 years|
|SAGE University||Indore||B.Tech CSE (Virtual Reality and Game Development)||4 years|
Also Read: Game Designing Courses After 12th
Establishing a Career in Online Gaming
Technology and time both have a drastic impact on our lives. Earlier when developing a video game only required 4 to 5 people at maximum, nowadays it is taking over 100+ people and professionals to develop and launch one single game. All of this because of changes in technology, new technologies and innovations in the industry, new demands of gamers in the market and due to more such factors. What’s interesting is the fact that not only big-name video game networking and developer companies that are earning all the money, surprisingly the gamers in the industry too are making tons of money. But the question is, how come the gamers can earn money?
- First and foremost requirement is to get a good grip of the video gaming or online gaming industry.
- Pursuing higher education programs like and diploma courses that are specialised in game designing, game development, animations etc.
- Keep practising and keep pace with new online games that are coming in the market.
- Showcase your talent on an online platform like YouTube, Google, Twitch, Facebook Gaming and other such platforms and earn money through Adsense.
- Start making online videos/blogs/vlogs on online gaming and start engaging with the public. This will help you in getting in touch with Online Game developing companies and to be in their PR list.
- Start reviewing games for the people on your channel and make demo videos for upcoming games. The motive is to be vocal and put out yourself and your skill.
- Keep on participating in multiple esports tournaments and competitions to gain exposure and polish your skills.
- Try establishing contacts with other established online gamers, YouTubers, game developers and game networking companies. Try to work under them to get inside industry knowledge and gain perks.
- Try hands-on various online certified games if not wanting to pursue full-fledged Bachelors’ or Masters’ Programs. One can always learn online and self teach himself/herself. Here are some recommendations for you guys-
|Game Design and Development by University of Michigan||Coursera||Online||6 months|
|Computer science for game development by Harvard University||HarvardX,edX||Online||6 months|
|Esports by University of California Irvine||Coursera||Online||3 months|
|Esports management capstone project by University of California Irvine||Coursera||Online||3 weeks|
|Game Developers and Esports organisations by University of California Irvine||Coursera||Online||2 weeks|
- Last but not least it to be patient as it will take time to be established and to be recognised by others in the field of online gaming.
Fun Fact- do you know the names of the top 5 Online Game Developing companies? No! Check this out then-Epic Games, Rockstar Games, Mojang, EA Sports and Take- two Interactive.
With this, we end our blog on, ‘How To Make a Career In Online Gaming’. We hope that you all must have liked it. Planning to become an expert in online gaming? We are sure that you will be soon! We at Leverage Edu are constantly trying to guide you towards the right path to your dreams. Book your appointment with our experts who will guide you to reach your dream university. Hurry up!