Statisticians are professionals who study Statistics, the branch of applied mathematics that deals with the collection, analysis, interpretation and presentation of numerical data. Statisticians use the concepts and methods of applied statistics to explore, analyse, and interpret a large and complex set of data to extrapolate the outcome from it. To become a statistician students minimum need a bachelor’s degree like BSc in Statistics with subjects like Statistics, Computer Science, Mathematics and Economics. Candidates with relevant experience in the sector always get the preference. A Master’s degree in Statistics or MSc in Statistics is pursued by both students and professionals to get career growth.
|Job Profile||Statistician, Risk Analyst, Statistics Professor, Investment Analyst, Data Analyst|
|Minimum Eligibility||Graduation Degree|
|Admission Process||Merit and Entrance Based|
|Average Salary||INR 5 lakh – 35 Lakhs|
|Employment Sector||Education, Sports, Healthcare, Banking and Finance, Academics|
This Blog Includes:
Why Become a Statistician
- The world is progressing at an accelerated rate with the emergence of modern technology and complex issues, and keeping up with all the analysis information is becoming difficult. Organizations require qualified professionals who can handle the statistical data and deduct key details and information.
- Statisticians allow researchers to crosscheck or confirm whether their hypothesis is right or not, it nowadays has become mandatory for most scientific research work.
- Statisticians help other field professionals to avoid the common analysis pitfall.
Statisticians are required to possess multiple skills to perform and grow in their field. These skills include Technical Skills, Analytical Skills, and Soft Skills.
- Computer Languages like SAS, C, C++, Python, JAVA etc.
- Machine Learning
- Cloud Computing
- Data Mining
- Theoretical Statistics
- Hypothesis Testing
- Big Data Analysis
- Leadership Skills
- Communication Skills
- Critical Thinking Skills
Roles and Responsibilities
Statisticians are required to perform the following activities depending upon the work requirements.
- Dig data collection, Analysis and Interpretation.
- Designing Data Collection Tools
- Trend Identification and Data interlinking
- Shaping Organizational Strategy
How to Become a Statistician?
To become a statistician, candidates must have:
- A bachelor’s or master’s degree in a relevant field, such as economics, mathematics, computer science, or statistics
- A relevant background. Many hiring companies favour applicants with some practical experience.
- Professional certifications that attest to your expertise
Also Read: Application of Statistics
The eligibility criteria to become a Statistician after both UG and PG course program in Statistics from India and Abroad is mentioned below:
- Candidate must have passed a bachelor’s degree or BSc in Statistics or master’s degree or MSc in Statistics with at least 50-60% marks.
- The bachelor’s degree course should have a good foundation in subjects like Economics, Mathematics, Statistics, and Computer science.
- The bachelor’s degree should be issued by a recognised college, state or university.
To get admission to UG and PG courses in Statistics students need to follow the below-listed admission process.
- Visit the official website of the institution.
- Click on the Apply Now or Register Here sign.
- Complete filling in all the required academic and non-academic details.
- Fill in the detail of work experience if the student has any.
- Submit the application form by paying the mentioned fee.
The following documents are required to get admission into UG and PG programs in Statistics from colleges and universities in India and Abroad.
- Academic Transcripts.
- English Language Proficiency Test (IELTS, TOEFL) score.
- Letter of Recommendation.
- Statement of Purpose.
- An updated CV.
- Financial Documents.
- Valid Passport.
Top Colleges to Study Statistics in India
The top colleges to pursue UG and PG program in Statistic in India is mentioned below.
|Indian Statistical Institute (ISI)||Delhi|
|St. Stephen College||Delhi|
|St. Xavier College||Kolkata|
|Lady Shri Ram College for Women||Delhi|
|Madras Christian College||Chennai|
|Sri Venkateshwara College||Delhi|
Top Universities to Study Statistics Abroad
The top colleges to pursue UG and PG program in Statistic from outside India is mentioned below.
|University of Edinburgh||UK|
|University of Manchester||UK|
|The University of Sydney||Australia|
|University of Hong Kong||Hong Kong|
|University of Toronto||Canada|
|University of British Columbia||Canada|
|University of Michigan||USA|
|University of Cornell||USA|
|University College Dublin||Ireland|
The salary of a Statistician varies between a beginner and an experience holder. The average and highest salary of a Statistician in India and Abroad is mentioned below.
|Country||Average Salary||Highest Salary|
|India||INR 4.0 lakhs||INR 20 lakhs|
|United State of America||$ 90k (INR 71.13 lakhs)||$ 1.30 lacs (INR 1.02 Cr)|
|United Kingdom||GBP 40k (INR 38.73 lakhs)||GBP 60K (INR 58 lakhs)|
- Government Organization
- Non-Government Organization
Mathematics, Economics, Computer Programming, and Data Interpretation are some popular subjects taught in statistics degree programs.
Prashanta Chandra Mahalanobis or PC Mahalanobis is known as the father of statistics in India. He set up the Indian Statistical Institute for advanced research and training in statistics.
There are two main branches of statistics Descriptive Statistics and Inferential Statistics. Both ohese two branches are equally important for the students. It is used by professionals in scientific data analysis.
If you want to get into a high-ranked university with your dream course, you’ll need more than just good grades; you’ll also need flawless application because the competition is fierce. You may enlist the assistance of Leverage Edu specialists to assist you with the application process so that you can realize your goals. Call us immediately at 1800 57 2000 for a free 30-minute counselling session.