“Perfect numbers like perfect men are very rare.” Rene Descartes. Slightly different from the choicest MSc Mathematics course, MA Mathematics is a 2-year postgraduate course that aims to study mathematical theorems, formulas and concepts from a theoretical, philosophical and holistic point of view. Read this blog to know all about MA Mathematics, its syllabus, general eligibility criteria, the perks of pursuing MA Mathematics, top universities and colleges abroad and in India, and much more.
|Course||Master of Arts in Mathematics|
|Eligibility||Bachelor’s in Mathematics or related subject|
|Fees||INR 8000 – 80,000 per annum (in India)
USD 7,000- USD 65,000 (abroad)
|Salary||INR 4,00,000-5,00,000 per annum|
|Jobs||Aerodynamics Specialist, Economist, Loan Officer, Mathematician, Researcher, Statistician, Accountant, Computer Programmer, Demographer, Technical Writer, Treasury Management Specialist etc.|
This Blog Includes:
About MA Mathematics
A Master of Arts or MA in Mathematics ventures into the study of Mathematics in a unique and different manner as it delves deeper into the art of proving mathematical theorems not just from a quantitative perspective but also from a philosophical and aesthetic point of view. The course incorporates non-Euclidean geometries, prime numbers, abstract groups, and uncountable sets as the methods for elaborating on mathematical formulas and theorems. If you have been interested in understanding Maths from a philosophical point of view, then this course is the best one to opt for. It also includes surveys of important results and unsolved problems that encourage research in mathematics and can help you further build a strong foundation for a career in research.
Also read: 6 Most Famous Indian Mathematicians
Here are the major eligibility requirements to apply for MA Mathematics:
- You must have a bachelor’s degree in mathematics or its related subjects.
- Some universities also conduct entrance exams for admission to their MA Mathematics degree PG program.
- In some universities, the final merit, i.e. the total marks aggregated in the graduation final examinations and the entrance exam, is used to determine admission to the colleges’ MA Mathematics degree program.
- If you are aiming to pursue this master’s course abroad, you might be asked to provide GRE scores along with English proficiency scores of IELTS/TOEFL/PTE. A Statement of Purpose (SOP) and LORs are also required.
Check Out: MA in USA
Syllabus and Subjects
Though the course syllabus often differs as per the university, here are the major subjects and syllabus overview of MA Mathematics:
- Functional Analysis
- Real Analysis
- Linear Algebra
- Modern Algebra
- Principle of Mechanics
- Elements of General Topology
- Complex Analysis
- Ordinary Differential Equations & Special Functions
- Operations Research
- Numerical Analysis
- Partial Differential Equations
- Differential Geometry
- Computer-Aided Numerical Practical
- Computer Programming
- Continuum Mechanics
- Graph Theory
- Set Theory
- Modern Algebra
- General Topology
MA Mathematics Colleges in India
Here is a list of some of the best colleges that are offering MA Mathematics in India:
- St. Stephens College, Delhi
- Mahatma Gandhi University – Kerala, Kottayam
- Arya Vidyapeeth College, Guwahati
- Miranda House College, Delhi
- Sai Nath University, Ranchi
- Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University, Delhi
- SS Jain Subodh PG College, Jaipur
- Hindu College, Delhi
- Lady Shri Ram College for Women, New Delhi
- Sri Venkateswara College, Chennai
- Jamia Millia Islamia University, Delhi
- Indian Statistical Institute – ISI Hyderabad
- Dr. B.R. Ambedkar Open University – BRAOU, Telangana
- Banaras Hindu University, Banaras
- Central University of Kashmir, Kashmir
Best Universities to Study MA Mathematics Abroad
|University of Stuttgart||Germany||MA Mathematics|
|Technical University of Berlin||Germany||MA Mathematics|
|Ryerson University||Canada||Master of Science in Mathematics
PhD in Mathematics
|University of Alberta||Canada||BSc Honors in Mathematics
MSc Honors in Mathematics
|University of Texas, Dallas||USA||PhD in Mathematics
MA in Mathematics Actuarial Focus
|New York University||USA||MA in Mathematics
MS in Scientific Computing
MS in Mathematics in Finance
|The University of Manchester||UK||MSc Applied Mathematics
MSc Pure Mathematics and Mathematical Logic
MSc Pure Mathematics
|University of Oxford||UK||BA Mathematics
MMath or Masters in Mathematics
|The University of Sydney||Australia||Master of Mathematical Sciences|
|University of Tasmania||Australia||Master of Science/Arts (Mathematical Sciences)|
Best Countries to Pursue MA Mathematics
Given below is a list of top destinations overseas that consists of a plethora of renowned and recognised universities that offer a degree in MA Mathematics.
|Country||Average range of Tuition fee|
|Canada||USD 10,000- USD 30,000|
|Germany||USD 2,500- USD 20,000|
|United Kingdom||USD 10,500- USD 55,000|
|USA||USD 7,000- USD 65,000|
|Australia||USD 13,500- USD 45,000|
Scope of MA Mathematics
MA Mathematics has immense scope for students aiming to pursue a career in research, statistics, accountancy and much more. Let’s take a look at the career scope of MA Mathematics in further detail:
- It will serve as a foundation for higher education and study in mathematics, such as PhD in Mathematics and M.Phil degrees.
- After completing this degree, a student may apply for the UGC-NET or JRF exam. It is said that success in these examinations qualifies a student for teaching, research and study and open a plethora of valuable and good options for the candidates as well.
- The MA Mathematics degree is very useful in obtaining other accounting and statistics degrees, such as the ICWA, and so on.
- Many job opportunities in statistics, actuarial sciences, mathematical modelling, cryptography, computer sciences, and other fields open up after successfully completing the MA Mathematics degree course.
Here are the major jobs you can pursue after MA Mathematics:
- Loan Officer
- Technical Writer
- Treasury Management Specialist
- Computer Programmer
- Aerodynamics Specialist
- Quantitative Analyst
- Mathematics Teacher
The key employment areas for masters in Mathematics graduates are:
- Engineering Firms
- Research and Development Firms
- Insurance Agencies
- Banks and Investment Firms
- Central/State Government Departments
- Business and Industry
Take a look at the most popular international recruiters for MA Mathematics:
- Boston Consulting Group
- Edward Jones
- Adobe Systems
- American Express India
- Goldman Sachs
- Amazon India Development Center
- Axtria India Pvt. Ltd.
- Cisco systems
- Dunnhumby IT Services India Pvt. Ltd.
- Cognizant Technology Solutions
- Innoplexus Consulting Services Pvt. Lmt.
- JPMorgan Chase & Co.
- Oracle India Pvt. Ltd.
We have always been told that Maths is not everyone’s cup of tea or forte. Not everyone likes to be constantly surrounded by numbers and numerals. MA Mathematics is a perfect combination of the art of mathematical science and the philosophy behind it. Want to pursue a course in Mathematics abroad? Reach out to our Leverage Edu counsellors and we will help you find the best course and university as per your interests and preferences! Sign up for a free session now!