Comprising of a population that speaks a myriad of three languages- Dutch, French, and German, Belgium is one of the multicultural countries in the world. Other than a rich mix of cultures and historical legacy, Belgium is home to the top universities in Europe. With affordable fees and grants, the nation encourages students from all over the world to come and experience academic life in Belgium. Due to this, Belgium has a cosmopolitan population which has encouraged international students from all over the world to pursue their education in this hub of Europe. Pursuing your masters in Belgium will be a great opportunity for your academic and professional career as you will clearly benefit from all the aspects offered in Belgium.
This Blog Includes:
- Why Masters in Belgium?
- Top Belgian Universities
- Types of Courses for Masters in Belgium
- Eligibility Criteria for Masters in Belgium
- Application Process
- Documents Required
- Cost of Study
- Scholarships for Masters in Belgium
- Job Prospects in Belgium for International Students
Why Masters in Belgium?
Belgium has established itself as one of the prime source of education in Europe through the integration of high-quality education, affordable tuition fees and reasonable living cost which are some of the most important aspects that international student looks for. Other than that, here are a few significant reasons why you should plan for pursuing your master’s from Belgium:
- Belgium Universities are amongst the best in Europe – Belgian Universities has risen amongst their counterparts in rankings. In fact, multiple Belgian Universities are ranked amongst the best in world rankings for higher education. The disciplines which have become the most popular in these top Belgian Universities are – Social Science, Economics, International Relations, Political Science, Journalism, and Medicine.
- Tuition Fees are affordable – Although the tuition fees may vary according to your nationality, university, and the chosen academic programme, there is very little difference in the ranges of the tuition fees. On average, international students pay somewhere between €800 (INR 68,166) – €900 (INR 76,687) per academic year. This is comparatively less than other European universities.
- Study in one of the most globalized countries – Due to the numerous collaborations between Belgian universities (both public and private) with other international entities, there has been a positive increase in the international population in Belgium. With this, the globalisation rate has increased along with the diversity in culture and languages. International students feel significantly more welcome in this scenario for their academic life in Belgium.
- A paradise for language enthusiasts – English is one of the most commonly spoken languages in Belgium after Dutch, German, and French. This will assist international students to learn the basics or even an expert in multiple European languages. It won’t be shocking to know that you might end up being a polyglot interacting amongst so many beautiful languages.
- Experience iconic buildings and historic places – From the Grand Palace to the medieval tower Belfry of Bruges, some of which have been the shooting location for classic movies are located in Belgium. With so many iconic monuments located in this region, your college trip list will be a never-ending one.
Top Belgian Universities
The higher education system in Belgium has adopted the Bologna System of the three consecutive cycles: Bachelor – Master – Doctorate. For Master’s, there are five types of institutions – universities, art colleges, registered higher education institutes and foreign institutions. Amongst these, the top universities in Belgium according to the QS world university rankings are as follows:
|University of Antwerp||=233|
|Université Catholique de Louvain||188|
|Université Libre de Bruxelles||207|
|Vrije Universiteit Bruseel||221|
|University of Liège||=480|
Also Read: Top Universities in Belgium
Types of Courses for Masters in Belgium
In Belgium, higher educational institutions offer two types of Master’s degrees:
- Initial Masters (two years – 120 ECTS)
- Advanced Masters (1 year – 60 ECTS) for those who already have a Master’s degree or equivalent to that
Here are some of the popular masters courses in Belgium:
- Fine Arts
- Finance And Investments
- Data Analytics
- Human Resource Management
- Cyber Security
- Information Technology
- Engineering Management
- Software Engineering
- Biomedical and Biomolecular Sciences
- Data Science
Eligibility Criteria for Masters in Belgium
Depending on which type of institution you want to apply to in Belgium, the admission requirement will change accordingly. There are few differences in the eligibility criteria amongst the Flemish and French-speaking institutions, but the majority of the requirements remain the same for international students.
- To be qualified enough for enrolling in any of the postgraduate programmes you need to be in possession of a relevant bachelor’s degree or an equivalent diploma degree.
- If you are interested in pursuing a Master’s degree in the medical science sector or dentistry, then you are required to take an admission test which is organized by the Ministry of Education, every year.
- For students who are interested in a postgraduate course in the discipline of Visual Arts, Audiovisual Arts, or Music and Performing Arts, a skill test is mandatory for them which is organized by the respective university.
- Depending on the mode of language for the respective university, you are required to prove your level of command either in Dutch, French, German or English.
- Most of the higher education institutions in Belgium request international students to prove their language proficiency at least up to a B1/B2 level (intermediate).
- The level of competitiveness in a course increases the level of language proficiency required by the institution.
The application process takes place over a period of time and begins months before the commencement of classes. You can call our Leverage Edu experts on 1800 572 000 to find out how the application process can be fast-tracked and streamlined to the USA! Here’s an easy 5-step process to complete your application process for universities offering masters in Belgium:
- Call our experts on 1800 572 000 to shortlist your favourite universities and courses. Start your application to multiple universities through our one dashboard platform
- Compile all your documents like SOPs, essays, certificates and LORs and exam scores like IELTS, TOEFL, GRE, GMAT, etc
- Meet all the applications deadlines and start the application process for accommodation, USA students visa, and scholarships/student loans
- Accept the offer letter and meet your teachers, college mates and roommates virtually
- Get your visa approved and fly to your dream university!
- Official academic transcripts
- Scanned copy of passport
- CV/ Resume
- Letter of Recommendation
- English language proficiency test scores
- Statement of Purpose
- Two Reference Letters
Student Visa Process for Belgium
For international students, the visa application process differs on the basis of nationalities. Those applying for a Belgium visa from Non-EU countries have to apply for authorisation séjour Provisoire (ASP) which is allotted from the Belgian Embassy in the candidate’s country. To apply for this APS visa you will need the following:
- An offer letter from your choice of Belgian Institution
- The candidate needs to prove that they are financially secure by submitting their or the sponsor’s bank statements or evidence of an offered scholarship which covers the tuition fees amount
- Medical certificates
- A certificate of good behaviour with no criminal record
- A valid passport
- Complete visa application form
Also Read: Belgium Visa
Cost of Study
Although the actual cost of studying in Belgium will vary from student to student on the basis of their course, and their standard of living, here are a few basic estimations that an average student mostly has
|Tuition Fees||€850 – €2600 per year (INR 72,426 – INR 22,1540)|
|Accommodation||€389 (INR 33,145)|
|Share of Utilities||€48 (INR 4089)|
|Internet subscription||€47 (INR 4004)|
|Food||€300 (INR 25,562)|
|Local Transportation||€50 (INR 4260)|
Scholarships for Masters in Belgium
The scholarships for international students in Belgium are offered by multiple entities such as the Belgian Government, the Academy of Research and Higher Education along other Belgian entities. A few popular Belgian scholarships for international students are:
- Master Mind Scholarships
- ARES Scholarships in Belgium
- Erasmus Mundus Joint Master Degrees (EMJMD) programme
- Bilateral Cultural Agreements from Flanders
- Global Access Initiative (GAIN).
- Fund for Education Abroad
Also Read: Scholarships in Belgium
Job Prospects in Belgium for International Students
- After the “war of talents” motion was passed in Belgium’s Council of Ministers, international students are allowed to stay back for one year after their graduation during which they are required to secure a job in Belgium.
- There is a demand for skilled and professional workers in Belgium majorly in the sectors of public health, social services, education, and finance. If you are a qualified graduate from any of these disciplines, you might immediately secure an entry-level job in Belgium.
Are you planning to study masters in Belgium? Our Leverage Edu experts will provide end-to-end guidance from application to Visa process. Call our experts at 1800 57 2000 to book your FREE 30-minutes counselling session today!