One of the popular subjects taken up by class 11 and 12 students, Information Practices majorly deals with acquainting them with operation handling and computer technology. The subject further helps in developing sound skills in Database Creation using technologies like SQL, to design, program, and develop database-driven web applications using Graphical User Interface Programming Tools and Relational Database Management Systems. By the means of this blog, we aim to bring a complete guide of Informatics Practices Class 12, as well as an overview of the topics prescribed by the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) for the subject. Read on to find out what does Information Practices has to offer as a Subject Combination!
This Blog Includes:
Syllabus of Informatics Practices Class 12
The curriculum designed of Informatics Practices Class 12, aims to develop in students on working knowledge of a computer system and peripherals. Given below the class 12 syllabus of IP:
|Unit No||Unit Name||Marks|
|1||Data Handling using Pandas and Data Visualization||30|
|2||Database Query using SQL||25|
|3||Introduction to Computer Networks||7|
Let’s have a closer look into the units of Informatics Practices class 12 :
Data Handling (High-level Programming)
This unit covers Basic Concepts of Programming languages like:
- Functional Overloading
- Classes, Inheritance
- Polymorphism are taught
- Programming Language (Python or Java) is taught to a great extent to the students.
Students are introduced to concepts of Graphical User Interface such as Radio Button, DropBox, Popup Menus, Dropdown Menus, Shortcut, Negotiated Position etc.
Learners are also taught to link their programs with Database Management Technologies like MySql, PostGre etc. So that programs can be created that can directly interact with Databases without any user interaction.
Society, Law and Ethics
- Under this segment, students learn about the risks related to the Internet.
- Implementing Network security is taught to ensure only legal and authorized users and programs can gain access to information resources like databases.
- Protection methods are introduced such as Authorization, Authentication, Biometric Systems, MultiFactor Authentication, Firewall etc.
- Students are also acquainted with the IT Act 2000, under which they are introduced with Privacy laws, frauds and cybercrimes such as phishing, illegal downloads, child pornography.
- Candidates are also acquainted with open source concepts, where they are introduced with Free Software, Open Source Software, GNU, Open Source Initiative, W3C (World Wide Web Consortium), Free Software Foundation etc.
- Also, it covers the difference between Open Source, Free Software, Freeware and various other open-source terminologies, and teaches about using a product legally without infringement of the rights of the owner of that product.
Read About Cyber Forensics as a Career Pathway!
Data Management (Database Management Systems)
Data Management is one of the important units of Informatics Practices class 12 syllabus.
Under this unit, students are taught about different types of Databases such as
- Centralised Databases
- Relational Databases
- Personal Database
- Distributed Database
Students are acquainted with features of DBMS software such as Data Definition, Data Updation, Data Retrieval and User Administration. Database concepts such as Table, attribute, Tuple, field, Data, Concept of String, Number and Date values, Data type and Data Integrity are also explained to great details throughout the span of the subject.
Different Database Management packages are also introduced such as Oracle, MS-SQL Server, DB2, MySQL, Sybase and INGRES.
Basic Software Engineering
Under this unit, students are provided with a basic knowledge of software engineering and its primitive software processes such as the
- Waterfall model,
- Evolutionary model, and
- Component-based models.
- Process activities such as specification, design implementation, validation, evolution and agile (efficient) programming methods such as pair programming and Scrum are also explained.
- Practical aspects of Software Engineering such as Version Control System, software systems and build use-case diagrams are explained. In the end, the students are made familiar with Softwares like Git (Version Control System).
Note: The total weightage of Informatics Practices Class 12 is of 100 Marks (Theory 70 + Practical 30)
Popular IP Reference Books
|Dhanpat Rai Publications, Informatics Practices Textbook Class 12 CBSE||Want a copy? Click Here|
|Informatics Practices with Python by Preeti Arora||Grab your copy here.|
|CBSE All In One Informatics Practice Class 12||Click Here to get your copy.|
|Informatics Practices by Sumita Arora||Click Here to buy.|
Here are Some Tips to Get a Good Score in Your IP Exam
- Before you start the exam, utilize the first 15 minutes to scan the paper. Read the question paper thoroughly before jumping to write the answers.
- Among the questions with internal choices, select the ones that you plan to attempt, and frame skeletons of the answers you are going to write for these questions.
- Follow a pattern. For example, in case you start with long answer questions, complete that section and only then move to a short or very short answer section.
- Highlight the important points and write your answer in points to enhance visibility.
- Substantiate your answer with an example. For example, in a question where you have been asked to define concat() function, give an example for the same.
Read the above blog in detail or You can download the complete syllabus from here.
It’s a much easier subject than Mathematics and has great concepts for students to explore the world of IT.
It is a one-dimensional Data Structure of Pandas that is used for data analysis which can contain heterogeneous types of values.
Thus, we hope this blog has helped in understanding Informatics Practices Class 12. If you are looking for professional courses after completing 12th standard or want to make a career in Information Technology but not sure where to study, don’t worry. Just reach out to our experts at Leverage Edu who will help you find a suitable course and university that lies within your interests! Our unique AI tool will help you find a suitable combination of course and university as per your interests and aspirations.